OT: Players celebrating life on social media - Do they need to hold back at times?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Social media is increasingly present in pro sports nowadays, and so it is in regard to lots of athletes sharing parts of their personal life.

This thread is just supposed to pose the following question:

According to you, to which degree does success in sports "legitimate" making a show of their wealth? Or should they be "allowed" to do so in disregard of that?

Given that "they" lose most of the time, does it annoy you when players of your team constantly post pics or videos driving their sport cars,
taking their yachts out for a ride or celebrate in clubs or suchlike?

Should they hold back at times, out of deference for us fans?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I believe what you go public with is what you intentionally choose to have disected and this questioned and riduculed

Don't ever post anything you don't want shared or seen by others, including those you didn't originally share it with.

Their is no privacy online so pretend like it is or should be.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are you expecting millionaires to not possess nice things and are surprised by them doing such?

I have zero issue with them posting the nice things they own, or places they go on social media. I follow several of them and enjoy getting a glimpse into their life.

Only issue I might have is they push political views, or if they seemed like they were partying excessively during the season.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
They can post whatever they want.

The only time I remember it being a problem was during the lockout having Evander Kane take a picture of himself with a money phone and some other player taking pictures of himself with a beheaded bear.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Go ahead and post whatever they want. If it bothers someone, the annoyed person can simply stop following them.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Are you expecting millionaires to not possess nice things and are surprised by them doing such?

Neither, nor. Just interested in opinions on the issue. That's why I tried not making it a starting post in which I complained about something.
I've got no issue with them sharing stuff that puts emphasis on their wealth or luxury.

I'm just asking (for opinions) if they should be more sensitive at times, in regard to what they post at what time.
No question about them being free to post whatever they like. I don't care. Personally, I won't post a pic of myself sitting in that new sports car after losing five straight though.

Admittedly, I don't get some harsh comments in regard to the initial question. I'm not asking to force them following some ethic/moral code or something.
Rather if some stuff may be seen as unnecessary provocations, in a sports world in which fans play a crucial part.

NoVA Wings Fan

Jun 24, 2016
Northern Virginia
As a fan I don't really care how they live their lives, what they buy, or how often they publicize it. The only thing I take from what they put out there is usually positives they do for others and the community. That sticks with me because I really respect that.

These guys are athletes and were blessed with a great talent that allows them to be paid big bucks to play a sport. And part of playing a professional sport means there will be times they are paid millions to not be better than the other team. That is just the nature of the industry. And I'm not going to criticize them for making that money because their 'boss' is willing to pay them that money.

So if we should hold it against anyone, it should be the NHL/Owners for having such ridiculous priced tickets for the fans to actually watch their favorite team live. Or the NHL for making you pay to watch a team while being smothered with advertisements THEY are getting paid to display (i.e. Game Center). WE should be able to watch every game for free if we are subjected to so much advertising. Because the more I watch, the more of a fan I am, and the better chance I will be willing to buy a ticket, buy a jersey, buy a t-shirt, etc. A LOT of fans are getting ripped off.

If I were a player and had that much money, I probably would not be very public with my lifestyle. But that is just a reflection of who I am today and how, even being just a middle class guy, I still like to keep most things off social media.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We play way less a role than you'd think. If we were so vital to everything, they wouldn't have tanked away a whole season and half another one on how to portion the money. If fans in Detroit up and quit tomorrow (like wouldn't go again ever), they'd move the team to Quebec or Hartford or wherever

NoVA Wings Fan

Jun 24, 2016
Northern Virginia
Neither, nor. Just interested in opinions on the issue. That's why I tried not making it a starting post in which I complained about something.
I've got no issue with them sharing stuff that puts emphasis on their wealth or luxury.

I'm just asking (for opinions) if they should be more sensitive at times, in regard to what they post at what time.
No question about them being free to post whatever they like. I don't care. Personally, I won't post a pic of myself sitting in that new sports car after losing five straight though.

Admittedly, I don't get some harsh comments in regard to the initial question. I'm not asking to force them following some ethic/moral code or something.
Rather if some stuff may be seen as unnecessary provocations, in a sports world in which fans play a crucial part.

I don't think they need to be 'sensitive' to what the fans see on their public accounts. That is sounding like 'safe space' type talk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->