Players beloved locally... less so elsewhere

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Two names that kinda keep cropping up surprise me. I don’t get why Trevor Linden and Wendell Clark are being talked about here. Maybe something I don’t know about?

Linden is beloved by the locals of the Vancouver Canucks, Wendel Clark has become a cult hero for Maple Leafs fans. They were locally beloved by the community and embraced by the fan base while playing..

Reactions: VanIslander

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Linden is beloved by the locals of the Vancouver Canucks, Wendel Clark has become a cult hero for Maple Leafs fans. They were locally beloved by the community and embraced by the fan base while playing..
I completely get that. I was under the impression that this was beloved players locally, but disliked elsewhere.

I never had a beef with either one. They both seemed like good guys to me.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
The premise would be that your Linden, Clark, Daneyko, Smyth types mostly engender feelings ranging from basic respect, to indifference, to maybe some lingering annoyance if you have a specific memory of them scoring a big goal against your team. Not the reverence that an Yzerman inspires.

I think though, that anyone with enough sense to see beyond the length of their own nose can see that my Clark is your Linden, and so on and so forth. Ask me what I think of Shane Doan, and it's not too hard to put myself in the shoes of a Coyotes fan because every franchise has one of these guys.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Oiler fans don't like Pronger for known reasons. Hartford fans had him too briefly. Blues fans, he never moved that team anywhere in the playoffs. Ducks fans are too busy loving Selänne, and in Philly there was too much drama with the brat pack, but they probably do love him anyways because his style fits with the city. So yes for Philadelphia.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
As a lifelong Canucks fan I never felt such consistent pure positive energy for a Canucks dman as I did for Snepsts. I am glad he spent 12 of his 17 year career in Vancouver. I grew up with him as sometimes one of the few bright lights on an often struggling Canucks squad.

I have very fond memories of Lumme and Ohlund, but negative memories of the latter duo as well. Snepsts? Only awesomeness! :)

If you asked me which three dmen never disappointed you, I'd say Bourque, Pronger and Snepsts. But only one of them helped a team I supported!

Reactions: Ofuzz

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
Probably stating the obvious, but many successful agitators were beloved locally and hated elsewhere. (U.Samuelsson, C.Lemieux etc.)

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
Wait irbe wasnt a popular player? There was a time when Irbe was the next big thing before his hand surgery. Like I remember seeing hockey commericals not even in california, and when they would show promos, or beer commercials or whatever it might be, there was a time when Irbe where the clips of random various goals, or saves, might include irbe doing a split save. Hell I forget what video game it was, man maybe it was one of those wacky hockey games, like maybe it was one of gretzkeys game at the time, if a goalie made so many saves in a row, he would then do the splits, and a WALL would pop up behind him which was done as a odd to irbe. He also appeared on that one(god awful)sega saturn video game as the cover star for it, and had his own intermission report(which curiously enough no joke, irbe is also the worst rated goalie in the entire game, go figure that one out and he is the wrong glove hand as well.. cluster f*** of a game but none the less), also again just random triva, I remember for certain video games they would send to kids, the pictures would read something like, win the MVP award with fedorov, make the deek save with bure, and win the vesina all with irbe in the new NHL so and so. There use to be ads like that back in the day. So there was most definitely a time when irbe was not just a big thing in california, but one of the next big things in the NHL.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Gilmour was a cult hero in Toronto (and Flames fans probably still loved him even after the trade), but how well liked was he across the league at that time? I was under the impression that his style of play + the personal scandal caused him to be fairly hated by other fans.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Gilmour was a cult hero in Toronto (and Flames fans probably still loved him even after the trade), but how well liked was he across the league at that time? I was under the impression that his style of play + the personal scandal caused him to be fairly hated by other fans.
Not sure. I can't really remember that he was hated. He allegedly had an affair with a 13-year-old girl in St. Louis, appeared before a grand jury, but was not indicted. So it was never established that he was guilty, by law, so it didn't become a huge deal among hockey fans even though it was locally and caused his trade from the Blues, although I do remember talking to people about it at the time, so it was discussed. I think there was a relatively small percentage of fans that disliked him for this reason.

Last edited:

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Oiler fans don't like Pronger for known reasons. Hartford fans had him too briefly. Blues fans, he never moved that team anywhere in the playoffs. Ducks fans are too busy loving Selänne, and in Philly there was too much drama with the brat pack, but they probably do love him anyways because his style fits with the city. So yes for Philadelphia.

Is it fair to say he's one of the best (if not THE best) player who's not well-liked in at least one NHL town? Did the Blues retire his number or give him a ceremony or anything?

I'm sure he's well-liked in Dryden.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
This thread was made for Patrick Kaleta. Hometown kid who worked his butt off to make the NHL, seems a good enough dude off ice- but what he had to do to make the NHL seriously injured guys and made him hated league-wide.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Not sure. I can't really remember that he was hated. He allegedly had an affair with a 13-year-old girl in St. Louis, appeared before a grand jury, but was not indicted. So it was never established that he was guilty, by law, so it didn't become a huge deal among hockey fans even though it was locally and caused his trade from the Blues, although I do remember talking to people about it at the time, so it was discussed. I think there was a relatively small percentage of fans that disliked him for this reason.
Doug Gilmour received a standing ovation in St. Loo as a member of the Calgary Flames when he scored a goal in his first game against his old team.

I'm pretty sure he's still hated in Detroit though.

Edit: I don't think he's too popular in L.A either.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Maybe Mike Richter? I would say that Rangers fans probably has lot higher opinion about him than others. Though I guess there might be big fans outside the Rangers fan base because 1996 World Cup... Don´t know. Probably not disliked anywhere, but if I understood it right this wasn´t the question.

Mike Palmateer played in an era in which I didn´t witness. But from what I have read I would guess Maple Leafs fans considered(consider) him better than he actually was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad