Players beloved locally... less so elsewhere

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
actually, the sedins probably fit this category. endlessly ridiculed for being soft or pacifists or inseparable or reliant on one another...

but they are, rightfully, beloved in vancouver as totally unique players who in their primes were an incredible joy to watch and as wonderful members of the community and excellent human beings.
Every word is true.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Irbe in Carolina and San Jose.

Erat in Nashville.

No neutral fan cares the slightest about Irbe and Erat, one way or the other. Thread premise is not really purposeful if you're just going to throw out there the name of every single loyal above average player a particular fan base liked.

Sedins fit though, because they got under the skin of not only other teams fan bases but also of some other teams players.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No neutral fan cares the slightest about Irbe and Erat, one way or the other.
PLENTY of people laughed at Pred fans when they lamented losing Erat in the Forsberg trade. The hate got to Martin and his game fell off of a cliff. No one outside of Nashville appreciates what the alternative captain brought to the team.

And Irbe, an all-star goalie for the Soviets at the world championships and inducted in the IIHF hall of fame, is BELOVED, fondly remembered by Sharks and Canes fans.

They are barely respected by the likes of you.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
PLENTY of people laughed at Pred fans when they lamented losing Erat in the Forsberg trade.

That's just fan bases teasing each others on message boards.

No one outside of Nashville appreciates what the alternative captain brought to the team.

And why would they or should they? With all due respect but Martin Erat was not a spectacular player that breaks through the cross-team barrier. He might be the best guy ever but people from other fan bases don't know him.

Do you appreciate what Richard Matvichuk brought to the Dallas Stars over a successful career that spanned over 12 years? Do you love him?

They are barely respected by the likes of you.

I like Irbe (as a player, I don't know the person but he seems like a nice guy). I saw him live @ the 1997 Worlds in Turku against Sweden and he was great, game ended 1-1. I wouldn't say that I love him though, that's a bit too far.

I don't even love Pavel Bure and he's top 3 on my favorite players of all time list (I highly appreciate his game though).

Martin Erat, I haven't even got any memory that I ever saw him play, even on highlights. I don't dislike him. I dislike him as much as I dislike Ove Molin or Niklas "The Prince of New York" Sundström (that's one of the best nicknames ever in relation to what he actually achieved as a player), which is not even quantifiable.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Would it be inaccurate to say that by the time he retired, Detroit was the only place where Chris Chelios wasn't hated?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Would it be inaccurate to say that by the time he retired, Detroit was the only place where Chris Chelios wasn't hated?

I dont think Chelios was hated in Chicago. They hated Wirtz more for trading Chelios. I could remember it wrong though but I think it was more bitterness towards the situation than actual hate for Chelios.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This thread is not about players you "dislike" who played for another franchise.

It is about guys fans of a franchise might praise or rave about and you go... "Eh? Really?" 'cuz you don't feel the love that the fan base does for the guy.

Linden, Clark, Irbe, Hunter, Ciccarelli... certainly fit the bill.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
A joke.

His best three regular seasons were in Vancouver.

His playoff success was in Vancouver.

In my half century plus of existence i have NEVER heard Rota referred to as a Blackhawk, always a Canuck. He hit his first 25-goal and 40-goal and 80-point mark as a Canuck.

This was AFTER his Chicago days.

After he was traded to Vancouver for years afterwords there was a Darcy Rota fan contingent numbering 50 or so fans who came to Chicago stadium to cheer on Vancouver Canuck Darcy Rota

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This thread is not about players you "dislike" who played for another franchise.

It is about guys fans of a franchise might praise or rave about and you go... "Eh? Really?" 'cuz you don't feel the love that the fan base does for the guy.

Linden, Clark, Irbe, Hunter, Ciccarelli... certainly fit the bill.

i am neither a sharks fan or latvian and i was a big fam of irbe. little guy, exciting style, led two underdog teams to playoff upsets, looked like he was wearing pads made by his mom out of styrofoam. i think he probably had a lot of fans outside of his city; he was an easy guy to cheer for.

Reactions: The Pale King

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
I think the players listed would fall under two categories:

The "love to have him on your team", pest type of player- Brad Marchand types

The player who, for whatever reason, has a connection in the hearts of the fans of that team that's perceived by NON fans of that team to be unwarranted, to the point where occasionally this player becomes resented for it (particularly if it 's with a particular team). Wendel Clark is an excellent example here.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I think the players listed would fall under two categories:

The "love to have him on your team", pest type of player- Brad Marchand types

The player who, for whatever reason, has a connection in the hearts of the fans of that team that's perceived by NON fans of that team to be unwarranted, to the point where occasionally this player becomes resented for it (particularly if it 's with a particular team). Wendel Clark is an excellent example here.
Yeah, I think fans of a particular team get to know their players a lot better than non-fans, and so they get to appreciate certain players, while casual fans are just indifferent to them.

Reactions: VanIslander

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I'm not a fan of any of the teams that they played for, but I imagine that Tie Domi, Donald Brashear and Georges Laraque are high on this list.

enforcers I feel like is kind of cheating. With them it would be easier to pick ones that wasn't popular locally :laugh:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Bob Probert. When I was a kid I always thought he was from Quebec, LOL. So I thought he was named Ro-bear Pro-Bear. But he hated that so he went by Bob.

Funny, I thought the same thing.

Two names that kinda keep cropping up surprise me. I don’t get why Trevor Linden and Wendell Clark are being talked about here. Maybe something I don’t know about?

As far as Brad Marchand is concerned, he certainly has his critics in Boston, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad