Players and their wives!

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
People should be able to say whatever they want,free country.I dislike the Oilers but there fans should be able to say anything when it comes to the Pronger situation now.He says he will speak and tell everyone what transpired,did he:dunno:

The legal system, particularly under the areas regarding libel, disagree.

For example. Let's say you were applying for a job, and I got 20 or so people to start spreading rumours that you are a child molester or something. Are you still willing to stand by the fact that my friends and I should be able to say whatever we want? Even if suddenly you don't get the job?

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
ya so ... and why cant the player ask for a trade? thats all i am saying, asking for a trade is not renegging on a contract.

trades are part of the game, as you say. why is it only ok for the team to initiate a trade.

if the team doesnt trade him, i am not advocating he sits out. i am merely saying he has not broken any contract by asking for a trade.

I think you're being a bit of an optimist if you honestly felt that Pronger would even show up to training camp, let alone play to the best of his ability.

At the very least it would provide mountains of distraction from the media alone if Pronger was not traded. After the leak and whatnot, saying that Pronger didn't have to be traded is technically true, but I doubt that it is actually the case. IMO, Lowe had to trade Pronger. The two options of him either not playing (holding out) or not playing as well as he could (whether on purpose or because of distractions from media/being separated from his family) are both much more likely than him coming to camp and playing as hard as he did last year for the next 4.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I agree, players should honor their contracts. However, no offense to the people of edmonton, but if I were a pro player I wouldn't want to play in edmonton either.

It's cold and boring.

Fugu

I agree, players should honor their contracts. However, no offense to the people of edmonton, but if I were a pro player I wouldn't want to play in edmonton either.

It's cold and boring.

And if you feel this way, you never would have committed to a 5-year contract. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion and preferences, but these usually are made known upfront (at least to the agent if the idea is to bargain in good faith).

Fugu

It's also possible that Pronger really is a serial killer who's rubbed out 9 people since he came to town and thought the cops were closing in so he wanted to get out before the Mounties caught up with him.

I have no idea what the real deal is. None of us knows. Everything has been speculation, and none of it has been proven. But some have their own idea, are convinced it's fact, and have run with it accordingly.

If it was something serious, it's doubtful the Oilers would have said anything either. The Leafs didn't go public with the info on McCabe's wife, the Blues didn't go public with info on Pavol Demitra's family when he lost a child under the age of 2 just a couple years ago, and so forth and so on, and the Devils never talked about Ken Daneyko's alcohol problem except when they had to announce he was going to rehab. It's called "privacy", teams try to respect it if at all possible unless the player wants to step forward and talk about things.

I think you are taking your frustrations out on me. I never speculated what the reasons could be for Pronger's request, nor carried over any rumors from any other place. Absent any other information, all I want to do is stick to pointing out the limitations on their personal lives/preferences NHL'ers implicitly, or maybe explicitly, accept through collective bargaining and contractual obligations.

You introduced the conjecture on what some of these personal issues could be, and I pointed out that yes this was as true as what they could not be... meaning neither one of us knows. Taking this a step further with the serial killer analogy really has no place in the discussion I was having here. Furthermore introducing the personal matters of other NHL'ers...still does not prove nor disprove a single thing! It does show these things can come up, sure, but what relevance it has to Pronger's situation is pure and total speculation as well. Like I said, maybe some other posters did overdo the rumor-mongering bit, but please address those directly if you choose to address them at all. I never brought any of that up.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
And if you feel this way, you never would have committed to a 5-year contract. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion and preferences, but these usually are made known upfront (at least to the agent if the idea is to bargain in good faith).

I agree, he shouldn't have committed to the 5 year contract. I am just saying, I wouldn't want to be in edmonton though, but yeah he shouldn't have signed the contract.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I think you are taking your frustrations out on me. I never speculated what the reasons could be for Pronger's request, nor carried over any rumors from any other place. Absent any other information, all I want to do is stick to pointing out the limitations on their personal lives/preferences NHL'ers implicitly, or maybe explicitly, accept through collective bargaining and contractual obligations.

You introduced the conjecture on what some of these personal issues could be, and I pointed out that yes this was as true as what they could not be... meaning neither one of us knows. Taking this a step further with the serial killer analogy really has no place in the discussion I was having here. Furthermore introducing the personal matters of other NHL'ers...still does not prove nor disprove a single thing! It does show these things can come up, sure, but what relevance it has to Pronger's situation is pure and total speculation as well. Like I said, maybe some other posters did overdo the rumor-mongering bit, but please address those directly if you choose to address them at all. I never brought any of that up.
The point here is that a lot of people are supposing they know the real story. The fact is, no one does, and to speculate on why he wanted out doesn't answer the question and generally leads some people to draw some wildly inaccurate (and potentially damaging) conclusions.

I'm not blaming you - if you feel that I am, I'm sorry, because that wasn't my intent.

In fairness to those who've been directly involved in this whole situation, no one outside of those involved should assume they know anything. Again ... look at all the people who knew nothing about Bryan McCabe but knew McCabe hadn't signed his contract because his wife wanted to go back to New York - from that, a lot of people made some incredibly nasty remarks about the two of them.

I looked at some of the threads where these people made disparaging remarks about the McCabe's ... not surprisingly, very few of them admitted they were wrong or made a mistake when the true story came out. Incredibly, there were several who thought that he should have not worried about his wife's health and just signed the contract when it was offered.

I just think a lot of people are passing judgment about how things should have gone without knowing what the true story was, and it would be nice if everyone would wait until that story comes out before rendering their verdict on this.

braincramp

Mar 10, 2004
C'mon man, if Chris Pronger was on a team that were one game away from winning the cup and wanted to be traded, it tells you something.

What it tells me is that he is not requesting a trade for any trivial reason. No hockey player would do that, given the circumstances. No one can convince me that he would take this action without being under some great pressure to do so, and I have the decency to take him at his word.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
And yes, Pronger does owe the Edmonton Oilers (but not the fans) something - four more years on a signed contract.

Reversing this -- should the clubs then be denied the right to arbitrarily trade a player since they've signed a contract which means they "owe" the players X number of years? Same contract, same obligations to the other party?

Anticipating a flood of "that's different" responses, I guess the club's business decisions are more important than an individual's decisions which could profoundly impact his life and that of his family?

Interesting discussion. I'd be disappointed if a favorite player asked to be traded. Then again, if he didn't want (or couldn't for whatever personal reason) to stay with my team, I don't suppose I'd really want him around because his presence would likely be more harmful than beneficial. I'd like to think I'd look past the ice and realize that life is more important than the game. I’d certainly like to think I’d wait to learn all the facts before making any kind of final judgment. And I'd sure try to keep in mind that there are probably people out there who aren't perfect and who make decisions that turn out to be mistakes. It's awfully easy to say he shouldn't have accepted the contract in the first place in view of what has transpired since then when, of course, there was no way to foresee the future the day he put his signature on the dotted line.

O'shizzle

Oct 21, 2005
Detroit
Go read rule #12 in the FAQ.

12) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. A link to a credible media source must be posted to support such claims. Other forums and personal websites are not credible.

I don't get it. Is this a Canadian site? If so, the laws must be different than in the States. Please fill me in on how other sites get around this but you can't.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Reversing this -- should the clubs then be denied the right to arbitrarily trade a player since they've signed a contract which means they "owe" the players X number of years? Same contract, same obligations to the other party?

Argh, NO.

Same contract - yes. Same obligations - no.

The contract itself explicitly gives the team (absent a NTC or NMC) the right to trade the player. The player agreed to that right when he signed the contract.
Anticipating a flood of "that's different" responses, I guess the club's business decisions are more important than an individual's decisions which could profoundly impact his life and that of his family?
No, but the "business decisions" are covered in the contract, the "individual's decisions" are not - other than the most important decision, the one the player made to sign the contract.

Well I guess a player should have thought about his "decisions which could profoundly impact his life and that of his family" before signing a long term deal.

Again - a player can have the flexibility and freedom of a 1 yr deal or the security of a multi year deal, but not both.
Interesting discussion. I'd be disappointed if a favorite player asked to be traded. Then again, if he didn't want (or couldn't for whatever personal reason) to stay with my team, I don't suppose I'd really want him around because his presence would likely be more harmful than beneficial.
Exactly, and that is why (some obstinate posters here to the contrary), Pronger "asking" for a trade was in all practicallity forcing Lowe to trade him.
I'd like to think I'd look past the ice and realize that life is more important than the game. I’d certainly like to think I’d wait to learn all the facts before making any kind of final judgment. And I'd sure try to keep in mind that there are probably people out there who aren't perfect and who make decisions that turn out to be mistakes. It's awfully easy to say he shouldn't have accepted the contract in the first place in view of what has transpired since then when, of course, there was no way to foresee the future the day he put his signature on the dotted line.
But he could foresee that he was signing a 5 year deal without a NTC, so he was subject to being traded to any of 29 other cities in the league, whether he wanted to play there or not.

He was perfectly free to sign a 1yr deal in Edmonton (or choose arbitration and force the issue), and then he would be a UFA right now and we wouldn't be having this long drawn out thread.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
12) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. A link to a credible media source must be posted to support such claims. Other forums and personal websites are not credible.

I don't get it. Is this a Canadian site? If so, the laws must be different than in the States. Please fill me in on how other sites get around this but you can't.
PM an admin.

Brent Burns Beard