Players and their wives!

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
PacketFlo said:
Can anyone please try to convince me why players wanting to be dealt because their wives want to be closer to family and friends shouldn't be banned for the term of their contracts?

I can understand being a UFA but....

I honestly feel terrible for all Edmonton fans. Getting someone with a superstar status like Pronger, signing him to a multi year deal only to have him want OUT is just ridiculous.

I lost total respect for the guy! He should have to sit out for the remainder of his contract. See how his wife likes that...
wait till you find out what really happened -

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
mr gib said:
wait till you find out what really happened -

too bad most of us won't but we'll still have to live with people on hf boards teasing us with their nudge nudge, if only you know what I know stuff.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Timmy said:
Well, it's not something that people really want to broadcast...
that's exactly right - or the first internet libel suit - if you search some of the blogs by typing in the obvious catch works next to his name you'll get the idea - i'm not saying it -

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
Playing in the NHL is a job.

Period.

Wait wait wait. Let me say the important part one more time.

PERIOD

Work is important, certainly - to anyone, but family ALWAYS takes priority. Would you quit your job or move to another city for your family? Some people might not but most people would.

Pronger doesn't "owe" Edmonton or it's fans ANYTHING. He's doing a job and getting paid for it. Part of that job is to be in the media and interact with fans, yes. But in terms of WHERE he does that job is ultimately up to him, he's earned that right no different than ANY professional in ANY field. If you're a senior software developer and you are in high demand, you can choose what city you want to live in and choose to quit your job for a better fit if you want. And you'd do it for your family. Hockey is no different.

Rudolf Yaber

Dec 18, 2005
Edmonton
canucks666 said:

Period.

PERIOD

Work is important, certainly - to anyone, but family ALWAYS takes priority. Would you quit your job or move to another city for your family? Some people might not but most people would.

Pronger doesn't "owe" Edmonton or it's fans ANYTHING. He's doing a job and getting paid for it. Part of that job is to be in the media and interact with fans, yes. But in terms of WHERE he does that job is ultimately up to him, he's earned that right no different than ANY professional in ANY field. If you're a senior software developer and you are in high demand, you can choose what city you want to live in and choose to quit your job for a better fit if you want. And you'd do it for your family. Hockey is no different.
:clap:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
canucks666 said:

Period.

PERIOD

Actually Pronger is NOT like "ANY professional in ANY field" or a "senior software developer ... in high demand". He cannot "choose what city" he wants to live in - at least not for another 4 years.

And yes, Pronger does owe the Edmonton Oilers (but not the fans) something - four more years on a signed contract.

He signed a 5 year contract with Edmonton in August. Edmonton is under no obligation whatsoever to trade him, or to trade him wherever he wants to go. Now it may be in Edmonton's best interest to trade him, rather than keep a disgruntled player, or risk a Yashin or TO-like holdout.

Yes Pronger is perfectly free to quit hockey - there is no way to force specific performance of the contract. Edmonton cannot force him to play against his will, but they can and will say who he has contractual obligations to if and when he ever plays in the NHL again.

If that kind of freedom and flexibility is important to a player, especially UFA eligible ones, then he should only sign 1 yr deals. You can have freedom or you can have the long term security of a multi year deal - you cannot have both.

Also, note that an NHL player is not like you or I or that mythical "ANY professional in ANY field" or a "senior software developer ... in high demand". He (or the NHLPA on his behalf) has negotiated away alot of the freedoms you and I take for granted, by agreeing to such restrictive practices as the draft and restricted free agency.

The NHL is not a free labor market by any stretch of the imagination, but it is the market in which the player has chosen to sell his services.

Last edited:

GSC2k2*

kdb209 said:
Actually Pronger is NOT like "ANY professional in ANY field" or a "senior software developer ... in high demand". He cannot "choose what city" he wants to live in - at least not for another 4 years.

And yes, Pronger does owe the Edmonton Oilers (but not the fans) something - four more years on a signed contract.

He signed a 5 year contract with Edmonton in August. Edmonton is under no obligation whatsoever to trade him, or to trade him wherever he wants to go. Now it may be in Edmonton's best interest to trade him, rather than keep a disgruntled player, or risk a Yashin or TO-like holdout.

Yes Pronger is perfectly free to quit hockey - there is no way to force specific performance of the contract. Edmonton cannot force him to play against his will, but they can and will say who he has contractual obligations to if and when he ever plays in the NHL again.

If that kind of freedom and flexibility is important to a player, especially UFA eligible ones, then he should only sign 1 yr deals. You can have freedom or you can have the long term security of a multi year deal - you cannot have both.

Also, note that an NHL player is not like you or I or that mythical "ANY professional in ANY field" or a "senior software developer ... in high demand". He (or the NHLPA on his behalf) has negotiated away alot of the freedoms you and I take for granted, by agreeing to such restrictive practices as the draft and restricted free agency.

The NHL is not a free labor market by any stretch of the imagination, but it is the market in which the player has chosen to sell his services.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. A thousand thank yous would not be enough.

People with their new-age spewing who want to appear all sensitive and stuff can quite frankly cram it, as far as I am concerned. I would be willing to bet not a single one of them has a talent worth remarking upon, much less something for which they could demand serious dollars. Accordingly, they can feel free to say what they have in this thread while comfortable in the knowledge that they would never be called on to back it up.

And, incidentally, I have a family that I would take a bullet in the head for. I would quit my job (which is pretty remunerative) for them in a heartbeat. As such, i would not sign a five year deal until I knew for sure it was in their best interests.

Fugu

kdb209 said:

Thanks also from me! I was wondering if some these kids were spending too much time in lollipop land where leprechauns roam freely. In fact, I'd given up on the discussion. The question never was about the importance of family, but about the options NHL players have, what rights they gave up collectively for the privilege of being NHL players, and honoring commitments (and legally binding contracts). They will learn. We all did.

Let me just throw in PERIOD as well. PERIOD.

GSC2k2*

Fugu said:
I was wondering if some these kids were spending too much time in lollipop land where leprechauns roam freely.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Tremendous.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
gscarpenter2002 said:
People with their new-age spewing who want to appear all sensitive and stuff can quite frankly cram it, as far as I am concerned. I would be willing to bet not a single one of them has a talent worth remarking upon, much less something for which they could demand serious dollars. Accordingly, they can feel free to say what they have in this thread while comfortable in the knowledge that they would never be called on to back it up.

And, incidentally, I have a family that I would take a bullet in the head for. I would quit my job (which is pretty remunerative) for them in a heartbeat. As such, i would not sign a five year deal until I knew for sure it was in their best interests.
:handclap: Some of the kids here have a VERY warped view about responsibility. The time to think about what's best for your family is before you make such a huge commitment. After that, unless it's some sort of unavoidable emergency, it's not up to your boss to accomodate you because you changed your mind. The world doesn't revolve around you and your happiness, people!

Fugu said:
I was wondering if some these kids were spending too much time in lollipop land where leprechauns roam freely.
Classic! :biglaugh:

hillbillypriest

Mar 20, 2002
there there
Visit site
kdb209 said:

Thank you kdb209, I'm always a fan of your posts...

Pronger not only is contractually obligated to play, he's also contractually obligated to conduct himself in a way that does not harm the team. By having his agent leak a trade demand A WEEK BEFORE FREE AGENCY, with a whole roster of UFAs to sign, was clearly dreadfully harmful to the team.

Here is an exerpt from the standard player contract that I used in another recent post on the Oilers board. The highlighting is obviously mine.

2. The Player agrees to give his services and to play hockey in all NHL Games, All Star Games, International Hockey Games and Exhibition Games to the best of his ability under the direction and control of the Club in accordance with the provisions hereof.

The Player further agrees,

(a) to report to his Club's Training Camp at the time and place fixed by the Club, in good physical condition,

(b) to keep himself in good physical condition at all times during the season,

(c) to give his best services to the Club and to play hockey only for the Club unless his SPC is Assigned, Loaned or terminated by the Club,

(d) to co-operate with the Club and participate in any and all reasonable promotional activities of the Club which will in the opinion of the Club, promote the welfare of the Club and to cooperate in the promotion of the League and professional hockey generally,

(e) to conduct himself on and off the rink according to the highest standards of honesty, morality, fair play and sportsmanship, and to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey generally.

3. In Order that the Player shall be fit and in proper condition for the performance of his duties as required by this SPC and the Agreement, the Player agrees to report for practice at such time and place as the Club may reasonably designate and participate in such Exhibition Games as may be arranged by the Club.

4. The Club may from time to time during the continuance of this SPC establish reasonable rules governing the conduct and conditioning of the Player, and such reasonable rules shall form part of this SPC and the agreement as fully as if herein written. For violation of any such rules or for any conduct impairing the thorough and faithful discharge of the duties incumbent upon the Player, the Club may impose a reasonable fine upon the Player and deduct the amount thereof from any money due or to become due to the Player. The Club may also suspend the Player for violation of any such rules. When the Player is fined or suspended, he shall be given notice in writing stating the amount of the fine and/or the duration of the suspension and the reason therefor. Copies of the rules referred to herein shall be filed at the main offices of the League and the National Hockey League Players' Association ("NHLPA").

This is part of the contract that Pronger signed. This is was signed after the new CBA came into effect, so if these provisions were in previous CBA's standard player contract, the NHLPA didn't negotiate them away. These are clearly very one sided terms in the teams favour. However, the kicker is that Pronger knew about them when he signed for 5 years for an agreed amount. In his case, a very large amount.

As you (kdb209) have pointed out, Pronger does NOT have an obligation to the fans but he has a very large one to the team LEGALLY.

Although Pronger has not said he will not report to Edmonton if a trade doesn't happen, if I were Lowe, I would force him to state publicly by mid-summer at the latest that he is prepared to report to the team and declare that he will give a 100% effort to the Oilers while he remains under contract to the team. If he does that, I would take him at his word and I would not trade him. He could live with the boos in Edmonton, just as Yashin had to. Alternatively, if he does not indicate that he is 100% dedicated to playing his best in Edmonton, I would suspend him, move on with building a team without him and let him live off his prior savings essentially forever or until the Oilers decide to trade him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
hillbillypriest said:
Although Pronger has not said he will not report to Edmonton if a trade doesn't happen, if I were Lowe, I would force him to state publicly by mid-summer at the latest that he is prepared to report to the team and declare that he will give a 100% effort to the Oilers while he remains under contract to the team. If he does that, I would take him at his word and I would not trade him. He could live with the boos in Edmonton, just as Yashin had to. Alternatively, if he does not indicate that he is 100% dedicated to playing his best in Edmonton, I would suspend him, move on with building a team without him and let him live off his prior savings essentially forever or until the Oilers decide to trade him.

So you would have him sign a loyalty oath or something? :badidea:

All Pronger's done is ask for a trade which is perfectly within his rights. He has done nothing to lead anyone to believe he won't suit up for the Oil in the fall if he's still with them and a stunt like you'd try to make him perform would only make matters worse. People are making far too big a deal out of this.

hillbillypriest

Mar 20, 2002
there there
Visit site
Winger98 said:
So you would have him sign a loyalty oath or something? :badidea:

All Pronger's done is ask for a trade which is perfectly within his rights. He has done nothing to lead anyone to believe he won't suit up for the Oil in the fall if he's still with them and a stunt like you'd try to make him perform would only make matters worse. People are making far too big a deal out of this.

Fine. See you in September Chris. Have a good summer.

Brent Burns Beard