WJC: Player to watch: Tomas Tatar

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Watch out for this kid this year. Last year's tournament was his coming out party and I actually thought he was one of the most exciting players to watch in the tournament. Playing as a 19 year old with Grand Rapids this year he has 17 in 22 games so the Red Wings clearly have another draft steal in Tatar when they got him in the second round of the 09 draft. Wondering if anyone has seen him play this year because judging by his stats, it looks like he has been playing very well. Can't wait to see more of the skill he showed in the tournament last year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, 17 points in 22 games for a just-turned 19 year old is pretty outstanding. He's one of the guys I'm interested in watching this year.

zackisonfire

Hockey Sense & Work Ethic

Tatar knows where to go in the offensive zone at all times and he's willing to work to put himself in the right situation to score. Defensemen often misplay him because of his deceptive strength on the puck for someone of his size while having good top speed. More than the fact that he has a great skill set is how well he uses it to his advantage. He knows when to stick handle to make a play, when to fire the puck, and when to just find the open ice. The one sports cliche that really encompasses Tatar is that the game never gets to big for him. Hockey is no mystery to him and it shows.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him dominate the tournament.

If anyone is interested in seeing a glimpse of how Tatar has been playing there are archived griffins games on justin tv.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
The Sauce will dominate, but is Elasto-man in net for Slovakia?

Sadly Elasto-man is now 20. Slovakia features more depth and experience than last year though so perhaps this time they won't need such heavy reliance on heroic goaltending.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
To be honest I don´t like so much noise about a team Slovakia player, stuff like this usually leads us right to the relegation group.:help:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Tatar Sauce is going to rip it up this tourny

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Last guy I remember going to the AHL straight after draft and doing so well (not quite but close) is Bergfors.

EDIT: And Voynov as a Dman.

Oct 18, 2006
He's a very, very good player. Have watched most Grand Rapids games this season and he's often the best player on the ice. Extremely high skill level, makes crisp passes, has scored a few pretty goals but also his fair share of 'garbage' goals by being willing to crash the net and get to high traffic areas. Very strong on the puck, certainly willing to take a hit hit, good defensively (underrated on the defensive end), has above average top speed and he's just full of energy. Never gives up on a play.

I hope expectations aren't too high for him this tournament. Yes given he impressed the Wings so much in camp and has been dominant in th AHL he should do very, very well, but sometimes it doesn't pan out like that. I just hope to see him contribute and help his country. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->