Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I don't see any problem with the way Mantha carries himself. He looks fast and hungry on the ice.

Some of it, IMO, comes from the effortless way he skates. He has a very steady even gait that can appear almost like he's just out for an afternoon skate around. He certainly has a load of potential and I'm hoping for big things

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Some of it, IMO, comes from the effortless way he skates. He has a very steady even gait that can appear almost like he's just out for an afternoon skate around. He certainly has a load of potential and I'm hoping for big things

Actually I think its because when he wants to he can really get that massive frame pumping really fast. He doesnt seem to want to hit that top gear unless hes rushing for a goal. He has an extra gear that he doesnt use 85% of the time.

But whatever. Its working for him and if he is conserving energy and using it when he needs to instead of just pumping legs for nothing then good on him. So long as he doesnt become a defensive liability then hes probably doing the right thing.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
He's a stud. Guy seems to be very determined and humble. He's going to be a mainstay for a long, loooonnggg time.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Just imagine him paired with Nolan Patrick. :D

EDIT: I just ran ONE simulation of the lottery on tankathon, and Detroit got the #1 pick. If only...

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
34 goal pace in his first season in the NHL.

Not bad.

Just remember...

Ken Holland said of Mantha in a Detroit News article on Sunday: “Anthony Mantha was a spare part in the Calder Cup playoffs (AHL) a year ago. Why does anyone think he is going to be the answer in Detroit?”

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's to bad Holland has such a grip on the media in Detroit that none of them are going to throw this in his face. He has been wrong so many times with this passive do nothing crap.

This was said in April of last year... So I won't deny he has developed some since those comments were made. But he looked great since November of this season. So I don't think 6-7 months makes enough of a difference to not make these comments look at least a little silly.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This was said in April of last year... So I won't deny he has developed some since those comments were made. But he looked great since November of this season. So I don't think 6-7 months makes enough of a difference to not make these comments look at least a little silly.

Do you think the Red Wings legitimately think their first round selections are "spare parts"?

Or do you think it is possible that they realized an "Angry Mantha" would learn much better and faster, than a complacent one?

I think its very possible that when making comments about prospects, that motivations are a factor.

Also things can always be taken out of context. If the reporter suggests Vanek and Neilsen be traded off the team right now for Svechnikov. If i am Holland I am thinking, "you stupid reporter, have patience, and yes Svechnikov would make us worse THIS year".

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Do you think the Red Wings legitimately think their first round selections are "spare parts"?

Or do you think it is possible that they realized an "Angry Mantha" would learn much better and faster, than a complacent one?

I think its very possible that when making comments about prospects, that motivations are a factor.

Also things can always be taken out of context. If the reporter suggests Vanek and Neilsen be traded off the team right now for Svechnikov. If i am Holland I am thinking, "you stupid reporter, have patience, and yes Svechnikov would make us worse THIS year".

I don't know. What I do think is interesting, was in the same article Holland said this:

“There are teams out there that are going with kids that are picked in the top five. You want us to go with kids in the second round and third round or picked 19 and 20 and 21, and you want us to compete? I think you’re wishing, I think you’re dreaming, I think you’re hoping,†he said.

Which I had not seen before.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/10/17/ken-holland-the-kids-arent-always-the-answer/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Holland said that in reference to our playoff series, iirc. You left out some important context.

I said in the next comment it was made in April of last year. So yes, right before the playoffs. The comments were pretty well discussed on here, I'm pretty sure most people know when they were made.

And is it crazy to think that the player we are seeing in November-January couldn't have made an impact 6-7 months prior? Even with the context I'm not sure it helps too much. Maybe if it was a year ago or greater.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I said in the next comment it was made in April of last year. So yes, right before the playoffs. The comments were pretty well discussed on here, I'm pretty sure most people know when they were made.

And is it crazy to think that the player we are seeing in November-January couldn't have made an impact 6-7 months prior?

No it's not crazy to suggest he could have helped. But in the same breath it's not crazy to suggest Mantha made significant progress over those 7 months. Even in training camp there were comments about how much stronger and filled out he was than the season prior.

When you're talking about kids who are 18-22, I believe a lot of progress can happen over the course of 7, 8, 9 months.

Hell look at his numbers in the AHL and his first 10 games. We are clearly looking at a player who has taken big strides over the last 7-12 months.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No it's not crazy to suggest he could have helped. But in the same breath it's not crazy to suggest Mantha made significant progress over those 7 months. Even in training camp there were comments about how much stronger and filled out he was than the season prior.

When you're talking about kids who are 18-22, I believe a lot of progress can happen over the course of 7, 8, 9 months.

Hell look at his numbers in the AHL and his first 10 games. We are clearly looking at a player who has taken big strides over the last 7-12 months.

He was given 11:42 in his first 10 games. Since then he has been given 17:02.

I think a lot of it just comes down to getting an actual opportunity.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

And is it crazy to think that the player we are seeing in November-January couldn't have made an impact 6-7 months prior? Even with the context I'm not sure it helps too much. Maybe if it was a year ago or greater.

I think it's disingenuous to suggest Ken Holland's comment didn't motivate Mantha to be the player we are seeing today. I think it was brilliant to send a message to a kid known for inconsistent work ethics, and sometimes downright dejected from games that there are no easy paths to the NHL. And brass have no intentions of rewarding such behaviour.

As you probably have seen, a pissed off Mantha is a BEAST. Just watch the outdoors game against the Leafs. He scored 2 goals and an assist. He took the game over and nearly scored in OT in addition to his buzzer beater. He was downright pissed off that game. You could see him stewing on the bench.

That's the Mantha Ken Holland (and fans should) want to see. Not the floater we watch in the AHL.

You should be giving Ken Holland credit right now, because had he gotten the Larkin treatment, we'd probably see another "play when I feel like it" player. Mantha will be a better player knowing the NHL isn't a gift to take for granted.

Kudos to Kenny.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think it's disingenuous to suggest Ken Holland's comment didn't motivate Mantha to be the player we are seeing today. I think it was brilliant to send a message to a kid known for inconsistent work ethics, and sometimes downright dejected from games that there are no easy paths to the NHL. And brass have no intentions of rewarding such behaviour.

As you probably have seen, a pissed off Mantha is a BEAST. Just watch the outdoors game against the Leafs. He scored 2 goals and an assist. He took the game over and nearly scored in OT in addition to his buzzer beater. He was downright pissed off that game. You could see him stewing on the bench.

That's the Mantha Ken Holland (and fans should) want to see. Not the floater we watch in the AHL.

You should be giving Ken Holland credit right now, because had he gotten the Larkin treatment, we'd probably see another "play when I feel like it" player. Mantha will be a better player knowing the NHL isn't a gift to take for granted.

Kudos to Kenny.

Finally. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

People around here think just give the kids ice time and they will be great. Not realising that sometimes you have to **** them off to get them going.
Bowman did this to Fedorov and Shanahan.

Probably many more examples.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He was given 11:42 in his first 10 games. Since then he has been given 17:02.

I think a lot of it just comes down to getting an actual opportunity.

That was my beef with the whole Mantha discussion late last year. He was given an opportunity early and looked phenomenal on the PP last year, and then he got demoted to the 4th line in a pointless role.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Kudos to Kenny.

So...why isn't he doing this with Larkin now? Or with Tatar? Or with Sheahan? Or with Nyquist?

You'll buy any of the snake oil Kenny sends your way.

The Mantha shot was nothing more than Kenny getting cranky about the fans actually calling him on his BS, just like he did with the Nyquist situation. He's not used to it and loses his composure when anyone of the media cloaks their criticisms in what "the fans are saying."

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So...why isn't he doing this with Larkin now? Or with Tatar? Or with Sheahan? Or with Nyquist?

The Mantha shot was nothing more than Kenny getting cranky about the fans actually calling him on his BS, just like he did with the Nyquist situation. He's not used to it and loses his composure when anyone of the media cloaks their criticisms in what "the fans are saying."

It's almost like they're different people and respond to different things. :laugh:

And they DID do it with Tatar. Read any offseason story from when Babs was here about Tatar wanting to go back home during contract negotiations because Babs was all over him. Yet, he came out of it and was a better player.

They aren't doing it as much now because Blashill either A) Just isn't as good a coach about realizing what his players respond to, B) Tatar tuned out the red-ass act when it wasn't being given by a Hall of Fame coach, or C) lots of the Wings players are supporting players and not drivers of play and when they are attempted to be used as drivers of play, teams can gameplan for them and take them out of the game.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Source?

Why isn't sending Sheahan, Tatar and Nyquist to the AHL? Are you really asking that?
Why isn't Larkin being sent down to the AHL? Are you really suggesting sending down the leading goal scorer? Reallly?

If you watched Mantha in the AHL for a full season compared to the games he's played in the NHL, you see a more consistent effort and more determination at being a difference maker, and that's not by accident or on pure "skill", that is someone who isn't taking the NHL for granted. That should be enough of a source *if* you watched him in the AHL every season. If you don't watch AHL games, then I understand why you're so misinformed. But don't pretend like you know Mantha would be the same player had he been "gifted" NHL 1st line minutes with the red carpet rolled out, and a celebration that would make Gretzky jealous, because he for sure would have been the be-all/end-all savior. That's fantasy land.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
That was my beef with the whole Mantha discussion late last year. He was given an opportunity early and looked phenomenal on the PP last year, and then he got demoted to the 4th line in a pointless role.

That was strange. I remember our PP was doing great with him.

And when kenny listens to the fans he signs players to those stupid big deals.
Posters here fancy themselves they know a great deal about hockey but do not understand the basic of the game.
This was in general.
Now an answer to you.
You do not deal the same with every player. They are different and you have to do different things. Some are lazy and need a kick in the ass, some need to get encouraged to get the confidence, some need to get pissed off, and some need to just let be alone.

I read about Mantha that there were some questions about his work ethics. It was devellano who bashed Mantha, not Holland.
And it is not Only Holland . Devellano, Ilitch, the coach have their words too.

And then there is economics, which people do not understand. You have a team, but you have to make money too.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting TOP12 about goal-scoring:

All situations Goals/60, +500minutes, from last 2 seasons.

1. Auston Matthews 1.82 (1st overall 2016)
2. Alex Ovechkin 1.77 (1st overall 2004)
3. Patrik Laine 1.68 (2nd overall 2016)
4. Sidney Crosby 1.65 (1st overall 2005)
5. Vladimir Tarasenko 1.61 (16th overall 2010)
6. David Pastrnak 1.51 (25th overall 2014)
7. Steven Stamkos 1.45 (1st overall 2008)
8. Andreas Athanasiou 1.44 (4th round 2011)
9. Evgeny Malkin 1.43 (2nd overall 2004)
10. Anthony Mantha 1.37 (20th overall 2013)
11. Brandon Saad 1.36 (43rd overall 2011)
12. Patrick Kane 1.36 (1st overall 2007)
13. Jason Spezza 1.36 (2nd overall 2001)
14. Alex Galchenyuk 1.35 (3rd overall 2012)

And somebody said that Red Wings can't draft anymore. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad