Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
We're starting to see the Mantha I saw in junior. No way he was going to fail IMO. Too much talent not to succeed. Time will tell how good he becomes.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
What do you reckon happens once Abdelkader comes back form injury? Mantha looks pretty at home on the Zetterberg line

Abby could be tried out there to replace Tatar. Not sure if it will work but it could be tried out. I think Mantha has too much chemistry with Zetterberg at this point to move him. Honestly, I think Blashill will consult Zetterberg on that.

And Tatar could stand to be moved regardless of who is coming back.

He personally reminds me of Jeff Carter.

Better skater too IMO.

That's been the standby comparison, but I actually think Vanek has been overlooked as a comparison for Mantha.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...That's been the standby comparison, but I actually think Vanek has been overlooked as a comparison for Mantha.

He doesn't remind me of Carter at all. JC is much more athletic. Also the skill and dynamic quality isn't nearly there. Vanek is a good comparison, hadn't thought about that. Kind of a bulky style. I naturally think of other large players- Lucic, Draisaitl, Myers, Nichushkin, Parayko, etc. that have good hands and use their size protecting the puck.

Once again I think the "superstar" assessment thrown around at HF should be tempered. The same was said about Gus, Tatar, and Larkin last season. I agree within 30 games Mantha appears to have the highest ceiling of the young group but "star" is a more reasonable expectation IMO.

Labeling him our best player...um did you forget we have a guy named Mike Green? Also the fact he's been more effective than Vanek and Zetterberg is not saying a whole lot. DRW are this bad I get it we gush when a player can make a decently creative pass or aim the puck to score. Also there's no comparison to the elite talent of players like Marner and Matthews. If you haven't watched many Toronto games IDKWTTY.

Mantha is terrific but overrating our players and rookies is a consistent stumbling-block to the reasoning here. It doesn't do the fans any good to have our tires pumped with the imaginary scenario of Larkin, Mantha, AA, Sproul, and a #13 pick winning the Cup in 4 years.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Where would we be had he played all year so far? Probably in the playoffs look down at others.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Where would we be had he played all year so far? Probably in the playoffs look down at others.

MODWings are 8-6-1 before he was called up and 8-10-4 with him...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Management/Coaching didn't exactly deal with him properly upon recalling him, or in the latter parts of last year's stint for that matter, so I don't think we'd be in a much different position had he been up here. It all would've amounted to when Blash realized the sick intuition he had with Z, which was apparent even last year (on the PP). Given how long it took them to stick with Mantha next to Z, I doubt it'd mean much difference now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's been the standby comparison, but I actually think Vanek has been overlooked as a comparison for Mantha.

Between Mantha being a much better skater and having much longer limbs and better reach, I struggle with that one.

Both are underrated passers, though.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Mantha is unreal. The combination of speed/skill/size/shooting abilities is lethal. I honestly think he is already our best player. I think he's too talented not to keep this up. If he continues to get ice time, he will continue to produce.

He will lead this team in goals this year, and will probably do so for many years to come, the kid is an all-around stud. I wonder what Jim Devellano has to say about Mantha now...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Mantha is unreal. The combination of speed/skill/size/shooting abilities is lethal. I honestly think he is already our best player. I think he's too talented not to keep this up. If he continues to get ice time, he will continue to produce.

He will lead this team in goals this year, and will probably do so for many years to come, the kid is an all-around stud. I wonder what Jim Devellano has to say about Mantha now...

Probably "pass me another drink"

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
He doesn't remind me of Carter at all. JC is much more athletic. Also the skill and dynamic quality isn't nearly there. Vanek is a good comparison, hadn't thought about that. Kind of a bulky style. I naturally think of other large players- Lucic, Draisaitl, Myers, Nichushkin, Parayko, etc. that have good hands and use their size protecting the puck.

Once again I think the "superstar" assessment thrown around at HF should be tempered. The same was said about Gus, Tatar, and Larkin last season. I agree within 30 games Mantha appears to have the highest ceiling of the young group but "star" is a more reasonable expectation IMO.

Labeling him our best player...um did you forget we have a guy named Mike Green? Also the fact he's been more effective than Vanek and Zetterberg is not saying a whole lot. DRW are this bad I get it we gush when a player can make a decently creative pass or aim the puck to score. Also there's no comparison to the elite talent of players like Marner and Matthews. If you haven't watched many Toronto games IDKWTTY.

Mantha is terrific but overrating our players and rookies is a consistent stumbling-block to the reasoning here. It doesn't do the fans any good to have our tires pumped with the imaginary scenario of Larkin, Mantha, AA, Sproul, and a #13 pick winning the Cup in 4 years.

Mantha is a very good athlete. At the combine he was among the best in both the VO2 max and high jump tests. Not something you see often. His mother was a basketball player, grand father an NHL player. It doesn't translate on ice because he doesn't play at a high pace but he can skate with anyone out there.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Mantha is a very good athlete. At the combine he was among the best in both the VO2 max and high jump tests. Not something you see often. His mother was a basketball player, grand father an NHL player. It doesn't translate on ice because he doesn't play at a high pace but he can skate with anyone out there.

I appreciate your input Mathletic. I know you've had the pleasure of watching Mantha develop far longer than I have. I remember your posts from the day he was drafted by Detroit.

By athletic I guess I was trying to say something along the lines of the flexibility, quickness, agility(?), that Jeff Carter even as a big man can display. Carter is one of the greats of his generation- consistent 60 point player with a high of 84 points in 09. He is a game-changing beast if there ever was one. At 32 he's probably winding down but what a career so far. I have all the hope in the world Mantha continues to light it up with growing confidence and becomes that excellent of a star.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I appreciate your input Mathletic. I know you've had the pleasure of watching Mantha develop far longer than I have. I remember your posts from the day he was drafted by Detroit.

By athletic I guess I was trying to say something along the lines of the flexibility, quickness, agility(?), that Jeff Carter even as a big man can display. Carter is one of the greats of his generation- consistent 60 point player with a high of 84 points in 09. He is a game-changing beast if there ever was one. At 32 he's probably winding down but what a career so far. I have all the hope in the world Mantha continues to light it up with growing confidence and becomes that excellent of a star.

I agree. I also agree with your Vanek comparison. I don't think it's out of this world for Mantha to become that type of player.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think Mantha's ceiling is a top 15 winger in the NHL. He can be a legit star. I'll be shocked if he isn't scoring 30+ in his prime.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think Ken Holland should trade Mantha for a stud defenseman while he has higher value.

what?

two problems

1, NO, absolutely NO STUD dmen would be available for anthony mantha

2. Ken Holland because of #1 would trade AM for no better then a #3 at best dman but more likely a #4(vatanen level) and this team needs a Mantha 100x more than a Vatanen

Bronz

Oct 21, 2013
I'd think Anaheim would be interested in doing something like Mantha for Theadore given their defensive depth and Mantha being on a rookie contract.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'd think Anaheim would be interested in doing something like Mantha for Theadore given their defensive depth and Mantha being on a rookie contract.

Theodore?

get real

mantha has the potential and pedigree to be an all star level forward

the type of dman we need equals doughty or karlsson or pieteraneglo or equivalent

we wil;l; not land such a player with mantha so we're better off keeping him and hoping to draft one in the top 10(which is where we should hope to draft this year and next year)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad