Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I haven't watched the bolded guys much. It's hard to say with such a small sample size on Mantha, but would you really consider them above Mantha?

Is is it because of position?

I mean, Sean Monahan did had back to back 60 point seasons in the NHL.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
About the same, Mantha is 22, there's nothing all that amazing about whats he's done so far.

Everyone in his class is 22 or an impending 22 year old.

From a scouting perspective, im not sure how you couldn't put him at least 13th. And by "scouting perspective," I mean keying in on him during games as opposed to stat watching. He pulls off a lot of plays that most in his draft year will never be able to, let alone most league-wide. He's got an amazing stick.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Anthony Mantha was as high as 10 or so around his last junior season, and then recently was considered a bust - went lower than usual. His development has seriously been A+ from Detroit's management despite the hate they get.

2013 was a really deep draft. I'll take a shot.

1. Rasmus Ristolainen
2. Nathan MacKinnon
3. Aleksander Barkov
4. Seth Jones
5. Sean Monahan
6. Max Domi
7. Jonathan Drouin
8. Bo Horvat
9. Anthony Mantha
10. Alexander Wennberg

Um how on earth is ristolainen number 1? Barkov is a freak of nature. And Mantha better then Wennberg? Please

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I forgot points are everything. My bad

I wouldn't have Risto #1, but a case can certainly be made for it.

And don't be obtuse about points. He's not some one-dimensional forward - he's his team's #1D overall. Those points are very impressive.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Ristolainen is quickly becoming a top 10 D in the league. There is a fair argument for him above Barkov.

Mantha over Wennberg...nah

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Ristolainen is quickly becoming a top 10 D in the league. There is a fair argument for him above Barkov.

Mantha over Wennberg...nah

You could make an argument Seth and Rasmus are in the same ball park. And Barkov will be the best player from that draft. He's severely underrated just like Pavel was. When you watch barkov play you see just how filthy he is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Everyone in his class is 22 or an impending 22 year old.

From a scouting perspective, im not sure how you couldn't put him at least 13th. And by "scouting perspective," I mean keying in on him during games as opposed to stat watching. He pulls off a lot of plays that most in his draft year will never be able to, let alone most league-wide. He's got an amazing stick.

As far as eye test goes, Buchnevich looks like a pretty damn good player.

For those keeping score at home, that was who people wanted over Bertuzzi in this draft.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Mantha currently leads all rookies with +9, for whatever that's worth.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dude tore it up today. Really put on a showcase of his abilities on national TV.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It'll anger the Finnish Fanatics but Mantha kind of reminds me of Patrik Laine. Lanky "trebuchet" style shot mechanics, touch around the net, size, reach, bit of that 6'4" choppiness.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Do you guys remember when leaf fans claimed that Phaneuf was worth Mantha++

Good times.

PortoMarco

Nov 21, 2014
It's been a trash heap of a season but, at least the first piece of the puzzle is settling in -- Mantha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->