Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
When you have to do that much disqualifying, it's probably not a good comparison to begin with.

thats the beauty of the sport imo. It requires such a high level at different skill packages that no player is really like the other. mantha has a cool combination of shooting, skating and playmaking skills, and then some vision, iq and creativity. For a guy thats 6'5 this is very impressive.

This has been said a lot, but i would like his shot to be utilized more on the PP. Im just curious if his one timer would be a weapon on the nhl level.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
after the first 20 games or so when Mantha was PPG and was by far our best player every night, i said i'd be disappointed if he didn't hit 60 points this year

now he might not even hit 50 lol, what a disaster he is. He's got like 3 points in his last 14 games or something like that.

I wonder what happened.... he was unstoppable to start the season. If we needed to get a line going we put him on it and he'd carry it and produce tons of chances. Now he's invisible most of the time.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
He still looks pretty good to me, he still generates chances. The whole team has kinda sucked the last 15 games, he will go on a hot streak again at some point and look like the world beater we all know he is.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
He's been floating a lot lately. When he gets the puck on his stick he kind of half asses a play and gives up. He has the skill to pot a goal when given the opportunity but the rest of his game needs an attitude adjustment. Put him on the PK where he can't float and can't hide.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
after the first 20 games or so when Mantha was PPG and was by far our best player every night, i said i'd be disappointed if he didn't hit 60 points this year

now he might not even hit 50 lol, what a disaster he is. ...

Jeez man this is the epitomy of:

Expectations lead to dissappointment

You really are looking at our players in a way that you are going to think they are all "disaster's".

Mantha's 1st full season stats will be this year's stats.
We should be happy he is a top 6 players.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia

now he might not even hit 50 lol, what a disaster he is. He's got like 3 points in his last 14 games or something like that.

I wonder what happened.... he was unstoppable to start the season. If we needed to get a line going we put him on it and he'd carry it and produce tons of chances. Now he's invisible most of the time.

How can a Franzen fan not recognize this phenomenon? Like most scorers, he's *streaky*.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Franzen was still useful when he wasn't scoring.

mantha is as well. on a team with more talent, a few of his created chances would have led to some more points. this last game against toronto, he was really bad, but in the previous games he genereated scoring chances for teammates or himself. He's my favorite player, i'm always dissapointed when he doesn't collect a goal or assists. but bad teams don't let their talented players shine in a realistic light.

that being said, i don't want to make excuses. he has to be more constistent if he wants to be considered an elite winger. So far, he's not more than a van riemsdyk or franzen type player

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Not nearly good enough. Mantha has been hot garbage this month. Even as a huge fan of his it is unavoidable right now, he isn't good enough and his effort isn't good enough either which bothers me a lot.
^

still applies. He's invisible. He doesnt even try to get out of this slump, he's a completely different player from the first 25 games. extremely disappointed

Reactions: TheMule93

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
^

still applies. He's invisible. He doesnt even try to get out of this slump, he's a completely different player from the first 25 games. extremely disappointed
That would require him to skate, which he doesn't do. If anyone has a chance, go to a live game and watch him. Does not move his legs in the slightest, buddy floats even more than Franzen did. At least 'The Mule' scored goals.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
That would require him to skate, which he doesn't do. If anyone has a chance, go to a live game and watch him. Does not move his legs in the slightest, buddy floats even more than Franzen did. At least 'The Mule' scored goals.

i'm from germany, i won't be able to visit a live game soon, unfortunatly. But you can already tell from watching nhl.tv. He's not even holding the puck in the offensive zone with his reach, like he used to. Useless at the moment

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

Reality sets in when you watch him play live. When they played in Dallas this year I remember there was a play developing and the Stars were rushing into our zone. Puck was at the Wings blue being carried in on the rush and Mantha was between the Stars blue line and the red line just floating on down.

As I said before, it looks like he tries to rely more on being in good position to compensate for his lack of hustle but at the NHL level that won't work.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Reality sets in when you watch him play live. When they played in Dallas this year I remember there was a play developing and the Stars were rushing into our zone. Puck was at the Wings blue being carried in on the rush and Mantha was between the Stars blue line and the red line just floating on down.

As I said before, it looks like he tries to rely more on being in good position to compensate for his lack of hustle but at the NHL level that won't work.

I like the way he plays with Athanasiou and/or Larkin more than with Zetterberg.

These kids seem to think the game the same way - or at least seem to understand how each other like the puck.

Reactions: MikeyDee

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I like the way he plays with Athanasiou and/or Larkin more than with Zetterberg.

These kids seem to think the game the same way - or at least seem to understand how each other like the puck.

me too. Seems like he's more engaged when playing with speedy players

Reactions: MikeyDee

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I'm still hoping him and/or Larkin can hit 60 pts. With this little skid, they would have to go about .70-.75 PPG from here on out. I think that's doable.

Mantha would have to go .5 PPG or worse from here to miss hitting 50 pts, I don't see him doing that.

well hes now producing at a lower rate than last season, and he's on pace for 47 points

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
well hes now producing at a lower rate than last season, and he's on pace for 47 points

Someone on one of the mainboards posted a break down that showed how Mantha was producing before Blashill called him out(roughly 20 games into the season) and how he's produced since then. It wasn't pretty.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Someone on one of the mainboards posted a break down that showed how Mantha was producing before Blashill called him out(roughly 20 games into the season) and how he's produced since then. It wasn't pretty.
I think that is a knock on both parties. I did not like Blashill's public treatment of Mantha and I do not like that Mantha is potentially lethargic or unfocused as a result of it.

Reactions: Ezekial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad