Player Shot Totals

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The team is ranked 26th in shots per game so it's an obvious area of improvement. But ignoring the coach/system since that's covered in other threads. Which players aren't pulling their weight in terms of shots?

Looking league wide for forwards
Pacioretty is 4th
Plekanec is 34th
Gallagher is 39th
Galchenyuk is 112th
Eller is 175th
Parenteau is 179th
Prust is 248th
Weise is 257th
Desharnais is 261st
Sekac is 318th

League wide for defenceman
Subban is 29th
Markov is 69th
Gilbert is 136
Gonchar is 136
Beaulieu is 162
Emelin is 169

The guys that really stand out as needing to shoot more are Sekac and Subban. Those rankings are just way too low for their skill level. We'd also benefit from Markov and Galchenyuk shooting more, but they at least aren't that far off where they should be.

HabsDieHard*

Really? The one that really stands out to me is Desharnais.

He gets WAY too many minutes to shoot as little as he does.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Galchenyuk needs to shoot more often especially with pretty good release of his. However, I think his rate of shots per game will increase with him playing at wing.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
The team is ranked 26th in shots per game so it's an obvious area of improvement. But ignoring the coach/system since that's covered in other threads. Which players aren't pulling their weight in terms of shots?

Looking league wide for forwards
Pacioretty is 4th
Plekanec is 34th
Gallagher is 39th
Galchenyuk is 112th
Eller is 175th
Parenteau is 179th

Prust is 248th
Weise is 257th
Desharnais is 261st
Sekac is 318th

League wide for defenceman
Subban is 29th
Markov is 69th

Gilbert is 136
Gonchar is 136
Beaulieu is 162
Emelin is 169

The guys that really stand out as needing to shoot more are Sekac and Subban. Those rankings are just way too low for their skill level. We'd also benefit from Markov and Galchenyuk shooting more, but they at least aren't that far off where they should be.

Shoot more!
Shoot less!

Just my opinion, I find Eller shoots way more than he should. I know he may be a bit snake bitten offensively, and if I'm being fair I love Eller, but this year especially I find he ruins a bunch of potential odd-man rushes by shooting when

1) He clearly doesn't have a good angle and/or the goalie is clearly well positioned.

2) The guy open has a way higher likelihood of scoring than he does.

If I'm being fair too though, he doesn't always have the best wingers. Still, it isn't like he's a dynamo with a lethal shot, I find he can be a bit of a hog when it comes to shooting.

HabsDieHard*

Devourers to be fair he's far from alone in that.

Plenty of guys make the "safe" play and get a shot on net when a muc hhigher percentage play could be available to them.

I think it's because coaches harp on guys for missing out on shot opportunities, so you're kind of screwed either way.

You can either shoot the puck knowing that the goalie is going to stop and probably control 90+% of those types of shots or you can attempt a pass knowing that if it gets completed the chances of scoring are much higher, but if it doesn't get completed the chance basically goes to zero.

Tough situation.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We have guys like Subban, Galchenyuk and Gallagher who miss the net a lot then you have Desharnais who hardly ever shoots which brings our shot totals down a bit. Regardless we need another top 6 forward if we hope to have another long playoff run.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

IMO the defensive squad does an average job at hitting the net from the blue line, especially by the bottom 4 and sometimes Andrei Markov.

As for the fowards, as long as they maintain possession of the play in the offensive zone Im not too worried about their shots total. That is how they create scoring chances, just gotta score on them.

Markov is 69th
Gilbert is 136
Gonchar is 136
Beaulieu is 162
Emelin is 169

Yikes !

Remember when we had good offensive support from our defensive top 6 ? Good times...

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Sekac probably should shoot more often, on the other hand he seems to pick his shots well. He is leading the team in shot % while playing 13-14 minutes per game.

I agree that Subban should shoot more as well, he's been very picky especially on the PP.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

On the other hand we have to understand the importance of not giving the puck away to the opposition (and at the same time giving them some momentum) with a poorly choosen shot on goal, or with a blocked shot, or a shot that simply missed the net and left the offensive zone.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
It'd be nice to have that kind of chart on a per minute basis. Sure, Sekac seems awfully low, but given the fact he's been benched for 7 games and used on the 3rd/4th line for quite a while, he hasn't been put in a position to rack up opportunities either. He only plays 13:44 on average.

I don't know if those stats are available, however, and I'm far too lazy to calculate them myself. ;)

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Devourers to be fair he's far from alone in that.

Plenty of guys make the "safe" play and get a shot on net when a muc hhigher percentage play could be available to them.

I think it's because coaches harp on guys for missing out on shot opportunities, so you're kind of screwed either way.

You can either shoot the puck knowing that the goalie is going to stop and probably control 90+% of those types of shots or you can attempt a pass knowing that if it gets completed the chances of scoring are much higher, but if it doesn't get completed the chance basically goes to zero.

Tough situation.

You're probably right I just notice Eller doing it a lot, more than I do with others. I'm more-so referring to opportunities where the pass was pretty open, like the odds of it connecting were solid, not the times where the guy rushing back would have broken up the play, but I do agree coaching could be a part of it. Sometimes the opposite can be frustrating as hell, when a player doesn't shoot.

Like you said though, it is a tough situation and I know Eller just wants to help the team win.

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
It'd be nice to have that kind of chart on a per minute basis. Sure, Sekac seems awfully low, but given the fact he's been benched for 7 games and used on the 3rd/4th line for quite a while, he hasn't been put in a position to rack up opportunities either. He only plays 13:44 on average.

I don't know if those stats are available, however, and I'm far too lazy to calculate them myself. ;)

Here you go.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...16&type=individual&sort=ishots60&sortdir=DESC

Couple of things:

-Eller had the same shot rate as Plekanec before he injured his shoulder, something that averaged to a little over 2 5v5 shots per game. Only 10 shots in 10 games since he's come back, the break will probably do him some good but, realistically, I would expect him to settle somewhere in between based on usage and history.

-Before everyone blames his lack of vision for Sekac not shooting (I know it's coming) Sekac is at 2.49 shots per 60 without Eller, 5.29 with. Not clear if he'll ever be much of a shooter, he seems to hold onto the puck alot, not necessarily in a "looking for the perfect shot" way but more in "looks to cycle" way.

His shot rate will probably go up (he's 22!) but, ideally, I would look to get someone with a sneakily good 5v5 shot/goal rate to put with him and Eller. Bergenheim and Grabner are good options (both top 50 5v5 goalscorer over the last 3 years), though looking at it Grabner's shot rate isn't quite there this year.

-Galchenyuk was at over 8 shots per 60 before he got moved to center, he's dropped a fair bit since. I would have still left him there but it's worth noting. That one might be slightly affected by the fact that the team had (and not just him but all over the lineup) a terrible possession stretch over that time (as opposed to a slightly incompetent one) and it's kinda hard to shoot when the other team has the puck.

-Pacioretty rules

-Speaking of sneakily good shot rates: Gallagher, top 30 5v5 shot rate for the 3rd straight season.

-Plekanec's shot rate weirdly bounces from something around 9.5 to around 7.5 year to year. 9.5, 7.5, 9.5, 7.5 ...

-I thought Subban was mostly hurt by the PP but this is the worst shot rate he's put up in his career yet.

-Dale Weise has a pretty good shot rate for a fourth liner, I think he's too much of a defensive blackhole to be a top 9 player in any scenario that doesn't involve playing there in a pinch because of injuries but that's a good skill to have in the bottom of a lineup (also his awesome penalty differential).

-Player's 5v5 shot rate would look better if that team had the puck more.

-Overall shots numbers would look better if they actually shot on powerplays, though they DO get less PP time than most teams overall so that doesn't help either.

About how shooting from everywhere would inflate shot rate without having much of an effect on chances, I think I mentionned it on the stats thread but I like what the Kings have done in the last few years. They shoot alot on low % shots (and they do tend to have a lower shooting% than the average team) but they get a big offensive zone faceoffs advantage out of it. Pretty much no one on that team has started less than 50% of their shift in the offensive zone over the last 3 years(!). I mean, when nothing's going in it might not look very smart by the eye test (but no team ever looks good when nothing's going in) but that kind of territorial advantage is massive longterm. It gets much easier to shelter player when having one of the lowest Ozone start % means 50% instead of 40%

Edit: Just noticed Bournival's shot rate. Pretty good, but small sample, curious to see if he keeps it up.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Really? The one that really stands out to me is Desharnais.

He gets WAY too many minutes to shoot as little as he does.

I don't really expect Desharnais to shoot much so he's more or less where I expect him to be.

Subban on the other hand I would expect to be top 10, if not top 5.
Sekac I would expect to be around Eller's level

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Here you go.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...16&type=individual&sort=ishots60&sortdir=DESC

Couple of things:

-Eller had the same shot rate as Plekanec before he injured his shoulder, something that averaged to a little over 2 5v5 shots per game. Only 10 shots in 10 games since he's come back, the break will probably do him some good but, realistically, I would expect him to settle somewhere in between based on usage and history.

-Before everyone blames his lack of vision for Sekac not shooting (I know it's coming) Sekac is at 2.49 shots per 60 without Eller, 5.29 with. Not clear if he'll ever be much of a shooter, he seems to hold onto the puck alot, not necessarily in a "looking for the perfect shot" way but more in "looks to cycle" way.

His shot rate will probably go up (he's 22!) but, ideally, I would look to get someone with a sneakily good 5v5 shot/goal rate to put with him and Eller. Bergenheim and Grabner are good options (both top 50 5v5 goalscorer over the last 3 years), though looking at it Grabner's shot rate isn't quite there this year.

I expect Sekac to improve with experience, I would hope the coaches keep reminding him to shoot more though. He's like Galchenyuk in a way, he's got a good shot but for whatever reason is hesitant to use it. He needs to take a page out of Pacioretty/Gallagher's book and just shoot.

Eller has always looked good next to Gallagher and Gionta, two guys who like to shoot from everywhere. Adding one to his line would be great move.

-Galchenyuk was at over 8 shots per 60 before he got moved to center, he's dropped a fair bit since. I would have still left him there but it's worth noting. That one might be slightly affected by the fact that the team had (and not just him but all over the lineup) a terrible possession stretch over that time (as opposed to a slightly incompetent one) and it's kinda hard to shoot when the other team has the puck.

I think it's normal that it would go down at first as there is an adjustment period for sure and his focus was more on the defensive side of things. But as he got comfortable I'd expect it to climb and actually surpass his shot rate at wing simply because he'd get the puck on his stick more. He also probably felt he needed to pass to Max instead of asserting himself.

-Plekanec's shot rate weirdly bounces from something around 9.5 to around 7.5 year to year. 9.5, 7.5, 9.5, 7.5 ...

It would be interesting to see how much it changes with role because he's a guy whose role has switch from 2-way to shutdown every other season. This year he's got a 2-way role, shots are up, last year it was purely defensive, shots are down, the year before it was 2-way, the year before that it was purely defensive.

-I thought Subban was mostly hurt by the PP but this is the worst shot rate he's put up in his career yet.

I think Subban is the guy whose hardest hit by the "system" factors. In his Norris season he was shooting at a rate of 5.44 per 60. Almost 80% more than his current season.

About how shooting from everywhere would inflate shot rate without having much of an effect on chances, I think I mentionned it on the stats thread but I like what the Kings have done in the last few years. They shoot alot on low % shots (and they do tend to have a lower shooting% than the average team) but they get a big offensive zone faceoffs advantage out of it. Pretty much no one on that team has started less than 50% of their shift in the offensive zone over the last 3 years(!). I mean, when nothing's going in it might not look very smart by the eye test (but no team ever looks good when nothing's going in) but that kind of territorial advantage is massive longterm. It gets much easier to shelter player when having one of the lowest Ozone start % means 50% instead of 40%

Not only that but rebounds are often better than a pass. I forget who said it but "A shot is never a bad play" and it's true, there might be a better play but it's never a mistake to get the puck on net.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Emelin, sekac and desharnais actually have good shot when used in the right way they just need to shoot more.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Obvious comment: Desharnais should shoot more. I know he's a playmaker but his numbers have always been too low for my taste. We've seen his shot and it is clearly something he can work with.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We have guys like Subban, Galchenyuk and Gallagher who miss the net a lot then you have Desharnais who hardly ever shoots which brings our shot totals down a bit. Regardless we need another top 6 forward if we hope to have another long playoff run.

Gallagher is surprisingly accurate. His shots aren't all lasers, but they are almost always headed for the net.

Subban is our homerun hitter -- his blasts are lethal but have a higher chance of going wide.

Galchenyuk rarely winds up and fires. He needs to add that option to keep the opposition guessing, otherwise they'll assume he'll keep dangling until checked off the puck.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Shoot more!
Shoot less!

Just my opinion, I find Eller shoots way more than he should. I know he may be a bit snake bitten offensively, and if I'm being fair I love Eller, but this year especially I find he ruins a bunch of potential odd-man rushes by shooting when

1) He clearly doesn't have a good angle and/or the goalie is clearly well positioned.

2) The guy open has a way higher likelihood of scoring than he does.

If I'm being fair too though, he doesn't always have the best wingers. Still, it isn't like he's a dynamo with a lethal shot, I find he can be a bit of a hog when it comes to shooting.

Thanks! I needed a good laugh and this made me laugh for minutes on end. I think you already know you're blinded by your bias…..

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad