Player selection for the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yeah, I know hind-sight is 20/20, but I can't help but think about the selection process that was used to select the U.S. squad, particularly on defense. Before the tourney started I knew the blueline was going to be the weak link (who knew the goaltending would also blow?!?!?!) , but I didn't think it would be this bad. There are three guys that should never have been selected to this roster:

Jeff Likens
Matt Hunwick
Brian Lee

I'm not going to lay much blame on Lee, as he's simply overmatched, but Likens and Hunwick were mediocre last year, aren't doing great this year for Wisconsin and Michigan respectfully, and are blowing chunks at the WJC's. It goes to show that returnees shouldn't get a free pass to the following year's tournament. That should be based on merit, and merit alone. I think Mike Brennan, Matt Lashoff, and Jack Johnson would have been much better choices, especially for a team trying to defend it's title on home soil. :banghead: :mad:

chicpea*

Rabid Ranger said:
who knew the goaltending would also blow?!?!?!

I believe I started a thread regarding just that :teach:

That said, I've seen your competition and even if Montoya plays his "C" game, you still have a great chance of making it to the finals. As you well know, anything can happen in one game.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Reveille! said:
Awful. Simply awful.

I do like the selection of Borer. He's quietly been the most steady d-man on the US squad this year.

I agree, Team USA doesn't need Thelen. We need more steady Dmen who are great in their own end. Borer has fit the bill as a good Dman, but he's one of the few.

Macman

May 15, 2004
You know you've arrived as a world hockey power when you start questioning the player selections. Wasn't it much simpler when you'd just come to these tournaments with no expectations and take your lumps? The fact is some teams just never gel or take most of the tournament to get its act together. The Russians do that all the time. I still fear the U.S. The defence may be shaky, but they have the wheels up front to make it scary for Canada or anyone else.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
He apparently has been absolutly brutal this year.

Not brutal, just average. I don't think he would have played worse than Likens or Hunwick though, and at least he has some size.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SmokeyClause said:
I agree, Team USA doesn't need Thelen. We need more steady Dmen who are great in their own end. Borer has fit the bill as a good Dman, but he's one of the few.

He was under the radar, but I think the U.S. should have taken a look at Mike Sauer.

X-SHARKIE

Jack Johnsons offensive ability would be nice, but it's his extremely competive and physical play in his own zone on top of an amazing transition game that would be very very nice for us Americans right now :shakehead

I think Borer and Hagemo have been two of the best selections and yet I didn't think either was all that great before the tournament.

Goligoski has been o.k.

Lee has been running around in his own zone vs tough lines like the Kostitsyn's.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
chicpea said:
I believe I started a thread regarding just that :teach:

That said, I've seen your competition and even if Montoya plays his "C" game, you still have a great chance of making it to the finals. As you well know, anything can happen in one game.

This tournament has been full of missed opportunities for the U.S. They had a bye into the semis virtually gift-wrapped, and they blew it. If they can't beat Sweden I'm going to be beside myself.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
X-SHARKIE said:
Jack Johnsons offensive ability would be nice, but it's his extremely competive and physical play in his own zone on top of an amazing transition game that would be very very nice for us Americans right now :shakehead

I think Borer and Hagemo have been two of the best selections and yet I didn't think either was all that great before the tournament.

Goligoski has been o.k.

Lee has been running around in his own zone vs tough lines like the Kostitsyn's.

I agree 100%. Borer and Hagemo have played very well, and Goligoski hasn't lit the world on fire, but he hasn't been a liability, and I can live with that. Lee was simply overmatched for this tourney, and I can't really say I'm surprised. He'll be better next year. Hunwick and Likens though...... :mad:

Crossroads*

Rabid Ranger said:
This tournament has been full of missed opportunities for the U.S. They had a bye into the semis virtually gift-wrapped, and they blew it. If they can't beat Sweden I'm going to be beside myself.

I believe if the Americans beat the Swedes they have to play the Russians. Right now... it looks as if the Russians will kill the Americans but you never know. The U.S. could win but it doesn't look very good due to the fact that the Russians will have nearly three days off.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CloudNine said:
I believe if the Americans beat the Swedes they have to play the Russians. Right now... it looks as if the Russians will kill the Americans but you never know. The U.S. could win but it doesn't look very good due to the fact that the Russians will have nearly three days off.

Trust me, I'm not looking ahead, and I hope the U.S. team doesn't either. A re-match against Russia would be tough, but a victory isn't beyond the realm of possibility. Let's beat the Swedes first though.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Macman said:
You know you've arrived as a world hockey power when you start questioning the player selections. Wasn't it much simpler when you'd just come to these tournaments with no expectations and take your lumps? The fact is some teams just never gel or take most of the tournament to get its act together. The Russians do that all the time. I still fear the U.S. The defence may be shaky, but they have the wheels up front to make it scary for Canada or anyone else.

That's pretty much it. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
CloudNine said:

If the Americans win, don't they play Canada?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Rabid Ranger said:
He and Likens wilt when under a strong forecheck, it's that simple.

Yeah they are simply horrible. What's even worse though, is that Sandelin doesn't seem to notice it. Those two guys, despite the massive amount of mistakes they make, seem to be out there way to much for their own good.

leafaholix*

I think it's safe to say that the American defense is a downgrade over last year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Brock said:
Yeah they are simply horrible. What's even worse though, is that Sandelin doesn't seem to notice it. Those two guys, despite the massive amount of mistakes they make, seem to be out there way to much for their own good.

I think that's a key differance between last year's team and this year's. Last year, Mike Eaves could play Suter, Stuart, and Wisneiwski to death and hide guys like Likens and Hunwick's shortcomings. Scott Sandelin doesn't really have that luxury. That being said, it might be time to play Suter, Borer, Hagemo, and to a certain extent Goligoski a ton, and relegate Likens, Hunwick, and Lee to PP duty.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Alexander Steen said:
I think it's safe to say that the American defense is a downgrade over last year.

There's no doubt about that. I didn't think it would be as much a problem as it's proven to be, but you can't deny the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->