Player(s) you think bounce back or play lights out in the 18-19 season?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Matt Tkachuk goes Thanos on the NHL next year. I feel it in my bones.
Andersson also goes lights out. I like everything coming together for him; being in Calgary training now.

Bennett with a huge bounce back year after the Flames get one more piece and gets to either play on the top line, or the new 3C they get.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I, too, hope Bennett breaks out this year. I think it could happen given apparently his mentality shifted to being more accountable between last exit interviews and these ones.

I feel like Kulak will have a fight to retain his spot on the opening day roster, so I'm not pencilling him in for anything. We've got both Rasmus and Juuso who have a legit shot at stealing the spot of Stone or Kulak (or both?) and presumably handedness won't be as much of an issue this year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bennett, Brodie should bounce back.

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Monahan will play lights out.

Reactions: TychoFan

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'll predict Brouwer bounces back and gets back into the top 9 and every *****es even more than before

I was going to say I predict Brouwer will have a bounce back under Peters too.

I gave up on Bennett a season or two ago. At this point he can only impress me.

I see Tkachuk and (healthy) Monahan stepping up big time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Calgary played a ridiculously slow paced game last year. I know there's talk of more speed. Not sure how that'll help Brouwer out much.
More or less, don't think you can get blood from stone here.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Calgary played a ridiculously slow paced game last year. I know there's talk of more speed. Not sure how that'll help Brouwer out much.
More or less, don't think you can get blood from stone here.
How slow did the Caps play when he was there? Hint: They didn't, neither did the Blues or Hawks. It's all about using players in roles in which they can succeed. That was something that never happened under Gully. Especially on the PP, he has had most of his success cleaning up the garbage and creating screens, but Cameron/Gully would have him playing behind the net and in the corners. Brouwer can be a very effective 3rd liner and special teams guy when deployed properly, unfortunately for us (and him), we had the only coach incapable of putting him in a position to produce.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How slow did the Caps play when he was there? Hint: They didn't, neither did the Blues or Hawks. It's all about using players in roles in which they can succeed. That was something that never happened under Gully. Especially on the PP, he has had most of his success cleaning up the garbage and creating screens, but Cameron/Gully would have him playing behind the net and in the corners. Brouwer can be a very effective 3rd liner and special teams guy when deployed properly, unfortunately for us (and him), we had the only coach incapable of putting him in a position to produce.

Blues play a very slow game. Also Chicago's 'fast approach' from 8 years ago, would be comparable to how the Flames played this year. Not sure those are helping your point across.

I just don't think the guy has much to give. He was ineffective on the PP as the screen (garbage goal-man) over his stints there. I don't particularly remember Brouwer being a half-board/behind the net deployment on the PP, but I may be wrong.

Guys get old, and the game passes them. Not the first or last time it'll have happened.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Yeah, at this point, is there any lower that Bennett can go? Either he turns it around or the team dumps him somewhere else next summer, IMO.

I would bet that Monahan continues where he left off pre-injury, and Tkachuk takes it to another level.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Monahan goes 30+ goals again, and everyone craps all over him for being nothing more than a third line center with no heart and no desire to win, despite leading the team in goals for the 4th time in 6 years (seriously, his past five years he was second, first, second, first, first)

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
Breakout season: I predict GG fully breaks out in Edmonton with his square peg in the round hole mentality. We will see Mcdonkey playing goalie in the tire fire up north.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Monahan goes 30+ goals again, and everyone craps all over him for being nothing more than a third line center with no heart and no desire to win, despite leading the team in goals for the 4th time in 6 years (seriously, his past five years he was second, first, second, first, first)
that's 3rd line winger actually

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Frolik bounces back to 35-40 points.

Monahan has a 40 goal season if he stays healthy, especially if we upgrade the RW or the PP is better. Or more games go to overtime :naughty:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
that's 3rd line winger actually

Calgary has the most downright dominant 3rd/4th lines in the NHL.
Monahan is a solid 3rd line winger.
Backlund is a good 3rd line C.
Tkachuk is a pest/goon with limited upside/skill, so 4th liner.
Bennett is a bust, so, he's a 4th liner at best.
Frolik is at best a 3RW.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Frolik bounces back to 35-40 points.

Monahan has a 40 goal season if he stays healthy, especially if we upgrade the RW or the PP is better. Or more games go to overtime :naughty:

I'd love to get that extra C to give Mony a lighter load. He's an elite scorer in the NHL, like one of the best pure scoring centres in the league.
The issue is he isn't great on both ends of the ice, so you have to really watch out how you use him... but the problem is you also have to watch out how you use Jankowski; and the 4th line's been a tire fire, so you have to watch out when to use them.

I think with a scorer and another accountable centre, this team would be in another universe in terms of their upside.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

sam-bennett.jpg

For the love of all that is good and holy, please let it be Samwise

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'd like to nickname him "Samson" as his impact on the team is directly proportional to his hairline.

I'm afraid it might be too late. He may have caught the Stajanitis. Symptoms include ineffective play, little to no offensive impact, poor offensive zone penalties, and the tell tale receding widows peak. The only known cure is consistent powerplay time and linemates that can do more than dump and chase. Or just rogaine

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Frolik is a good pick. Last year was a real aberration for him, perhaps because of the injury.

Career low PDO/SH% will do that.
That second line will normalize. It makes what Tkachuk did this season all the more scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->