Player role

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I've started to play soccer on a team, Im looking for a style to emulate, id like to play a role where I would defend and attack basically being the quaterback of the team. Can anyone tell me what players excel in playing a holding midfield role and setting up strikers for goals.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well for one thing quarterbacks don't defend( unless I'm completely out of date with the nfl)

I'd say good players to try to emulate who play B2B would be Vidal, Verratti, Pogba and rakitic. Yaya was good until recently.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Well for one thing quarterbacks don't defend( unless I'm completely out of date with the nfl)

I'd say good players to try to emulate who play B2B would be Vidal, Verratti, Pogba and rakitic. Yaya was good until recently.

Thanks what I meant was players who can transition from defense to offense and set players up. Like your basically shutting down a team's offense through defense but your also setting them up offensively.

Oh and your right about quarterbacks not defending. Would xavi be a good example of B2B.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Thanks what I meant was players who can transition from defense to offense and set players up. Like your basically shutting down a team's offense through defense but your also setting them up offensively.

Oh and your right about quarterbacks not defending. Would xavi be a good example of B2B.

Matic, Verratti, and Modric would be my top 3 there. Put in order of most defensive to least.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I know what you meant, I was just messing with you.

Xavi wouldn't be a good example, as he was an average defender. Nothing special on that side of the pitch.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I've started to play soccer on a team, Im looking for a style to emulate, id like to play a role where I would defend and attack basically being the quaterback of the team. Can anyone tell me what players excel in playing a holding midfield role and setting up strikers for goals.

How long have you been playing?

I'd take a look at Jordan Henderson, Arturo Vidal who are less flashy but very involved and two of the best in the world, and if you are decent on the ball Marco Verratti and Ilkay Gundogan.

I wouldn't really consider any of them 'holding' midfielders but they all contribute to each phase of the game positively.

Remember though that you're going to want to watch full games with these kinds of players rather than just highlights. You'll need to have a big engine and read the game well. Lots of little drills you can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad