Player rising/falling after u18

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
What you think who on the rise and who's falling in the ranking after the tournament? One big riser is shattenkirk top 10 maybe? Gillies is not that bad and JVR i now get all the hyped about him he's the next vanek! Espo and couture could fall out of the top10

atreides

Feb 6, 2006
What you think who on the rise and who's falling in the ranking after the tournament? One big riser is shattenkirk top 10 maybe? Gillies is not that bad and JVR i now get all the hyped about him he's the next vanek! Espo and couture could fall out of the top10

Couture out of the top10 ... I hope not !

barrel_master

Amber Heard
Dec 15, 2004
I don't think we can so much stock into these tournaments. I mean waht's a better measure of ability the previous 50+ regular season games a player had or a 10 game tourney?

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
I don't think we can so much stock into these tournaments. I mean waht's a better measure of ability the previous 50+ regular season games a player had or a 10 game tourney?

I agree, these tournaments often are overrated as for there impact to a prospects stock, just like the WJC

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I agree, these tournaments often are overrated as for there impact to a prospects stock, just like the WJC
Not always...

I mean, if a player is playing good in regular season against average team, and he's playing as good against great international teams, it's good for him...

But if he's playing good against average team in the regular season and he's playing quite bad against the stronger teams, you have to question yourself about the real potential of the player. Is he only a good junior player or will he become a good pro player?

In Couture's case, don't worry, he bring much more to the game so he'll be a top 10 players in the next draft, but McDonagh, who was rising on many list, might go where he should go...15+, and not around 10...

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Couture...

You have to realize too that for whatever reason Couture (and Sutter also I believe) played as a left-winger which he stated he had never played that position before this tournament.

It is obviously a lot to ask a player who is a very defensive-minded centre as both Couture & Sutter are, to suddenly play higher in all zones as a winger.

Those draft-eligible players who played their natural position as centres (Esposito, Turris, Fortier) may be the ones who can be truly scrutunized for their performances in this tournament, good or bad, IMO.

If anything, considering the icetime with PP's, and noting the shots on goal that both Turris & Esposito enjoyed, some may use the games at this tournament as part of the overall scouting analysis for these players moreso than other players who didn't enjoy the same benefits.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

JVR's shot, release, and smarts are just mindblowing. He's such an incredible player. It was a joy watching him in NJ for a while when he was younger. Man alive is he going to be good.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
JVR's shot, release, and smarts are just mindblowing. He's such an incredible player. It was a joy watching him in NJ for a while when he was younger. Man alive is he going to be good.

im starting to really love that guy to. i would go as far as saying he is #2 on my ranking right now, and will probably stay there until draft day.

i think turris will drop a bit after the U-18's. it has been in the scouts mind that what he is doing is against poor competition and that he hasnt had the oppurtunity to prove it against good teams. the u-18 was a perfect chanse for him to prove that he can put up points against better teams. fine, he has 5 points in 5 games, but 4 of those points was against latvia in a 9-1 blowout. so against the good teams he has 1 goal in 4 games. i think top 3 is out of the question right now. my guess is #5 overall.

mikethompson

Mar 20, 2007
Maple Ridge
the players who play in the U-18 tourney are all guys whos teams have been elimanted from the playoffs at least that is how it is in the CHL, dosent that say something about those players right there?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
the players who play in the U-18 tourney are all guys whos teams have been elimanted from the playoffs at least that is how it is in the CHL, dosent that say something about those players right there?

so because there team is out of the playoffs they are all bad hockey players?? one players isnt a whole team.

mikethompson

Mar 20, 2007
Maple Ridge
no i didnt say that, but they are excellent players and they should be game breakers, alot of other top prospects are still in the playoffs, Jon Blum, Dana Tyrell, Tyson Sexsmith, Brett Sonne, Karl Alzner, those are the guys i know from the WHL probably more from the OHL and QMJHL.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
no i didnt say that, but they are excellent players and they should be game breakers, alot of other top prospects are still in the playoffs, Jon Blum, Dana Tyrell, Tyson Sexsmith, Brett Sonne, Karl Alzner, those are the guys i know from the WHL probably more from the OHL and QMJHL.

you cant do it all by yourself even if you are a top prospects. other guys has to chip in. and these top prospects are still very young and playing against older guys.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Obviously the biggest riser has to be Hjalmarsson--that was some eye-opening skill AND determination +a "killer instinct" to pile it on when he was in the zone ---big upside there....To be that dangerous and dominant for so many shifts in that final look scouts would have at him--that was elevating his game to the max..so he just has to rise bigtime...as the TSN commentators said---Hjalmarsson is now the "wildcard" of the draft.

As for JVR--he unlike all the other potential candidates for top pick who played at the U-18, (Cherepanov,Turris,Esposito,Couture,and in fewer games-Voracek) lived upto his billing on a more consistent basis...if certain people thought JVR was a top 5 -6 but not worthy of the #1 --his performance certainly establishes that Dale Tallon must now include him in his thinking of who he'll take as#1,and probably represents the least risky pick to success as an NHL pro of that bunch in the U-18 and including Kane too.

Bobby39

Jan 19, 2007
how has gillies done ?

Gilles, Katic and Caan have done the most to help their cause in my mind. Gilles showed that he can play at a high level and score the odd goal while being a presence at all times. Katic led the team with a +10 and played big minutes despite a fractured hand. Caan played solid all week and made some huge saves, not a great goalie draft but he should be gone by late 2nd early 3rd.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002

Blum is American and Alzner is an '88. Sexsmith probably wouldn't have played over Cann and Sonne had such a poor year that I'd be surprised if he were selected.

The Canadian squad at this year's tournament was more complete (as far as getting the players they'd want) than any other Canadian team I've ever seen at this particular tournament. Tavares and Gagner are the only two sure difference makers that weren't there. This wasn't Canada's "B" team like in years past.

vines4life

Mar 5, 2007
So is it possible that Gillies below average season could have been do to the team around him?

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
i think turris will drop a bit after the U-18's. it has been in the scouts mind that what he is doing is against poor competition and that he hasnt had the oppurtunity to prove it against good teams. the u-18 was a perfect chanse for him to prove that he can put up points against better teams. fine, he has 5 points in 5 games, but 4 of those points was against latvia in a 9-1 blowout. so against the good teams he has 1 goal in 4 games. i think top 3 is out of the question right now. my guess is #5 overall.

Luckily for the team with the #5 pick. Scouts should also consider that this tournament was a much steeper step up for Turris compared to the others. I don't think they expected him to dominate at this level of competition, having played Tier2 jr all year.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Luckily for the team with the #5 pick. Scouts should also consider that this tournament was a much steeper step up for Turris compared to the others. I don't think they expected him to dominate at this level of competition, having played Tier2 jr all year.

of course not, but he had the chanse to prove that he can dominate at a higher level, but he failed to do so, and didnt improve he's stock in this tournament. while JVR had a great tournament and may have passed him.

mikethompson

Mar 20, 2007
Maple Ridge
yah JVR defiently passed Turris IMO, but guys like Esposite, Gillies, and Couture helped raise their draft stock because of their solid play at the U-18's. But we must remember there are guys that were not at the U-18's that are still playing with their junior teams, guys like Karl Alzner, Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner, and Jon Blum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad