Player Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

habbyfan60

Mar 23, 2005
I was just wondering how credible some of these different sites are when it comes to the ranking of prospects. I mean sources such as McKeen's, International, Red Line, and Central Scouting for that matter. We can all pick out the top 30-45 prospects with some degree of accuracy but, after that, I don't inderstand how the same player or goaltender is ranked so differently.

My opinion is that these sources along with Central Scouting are so widespread that it only and ultimately comes down to what NHL teams like who and these teams don't rely on any of these rankings whatsoever.

Other than the top 30, with very few exceptions, I think you're going to see some real surprises in which prospects go where.

Any thoughts on what you guys think?

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
I was just wondering how credible some of these different sites are when it comes to the ranking of prospects. I mean sources such as McKeen's, International, Red Line, and Central Scouting for that matter. We can all pick out the top 30-45 prospects with some degree of accuracy but, after that, I don't inderstand how the same player or goaltender is ranked so differently.

They are fairly credible in my mind though I like Central Scouting the least. The rankings are different because when doing rankings you are looking at a few different areas of a player. So, depending on how you weight a particular aspect of his game (toughness, skating, hands, etc.) you should end up with a different result than another person looking at the same player. In addition, different scouting services predict different upsides with each player.

I bet if you looked at every NHL teams list you would find wide discrepancies in how players are ranked. One example, is that one NHL team has Staal in there top 5 while another has him outside there top 20 according to Bob MacKenzie.

My opinion is that these sources along with Central Scouting are so widespread that it only and ultimately comes down to what NHL teams like who and these teams don't rely on any of these rankings whatsoever.

Other than the top 30, with very few exceptions, I think you're going to see some real surprises in which prospects go where.

You nailed these two points on the head. Most NHL scouts do not look at these lists or subscribe to them as they are getting paid for their opinion and rankings.

I would tend to agree that the 1st round looks like it should be predictable but you never know. I tend to find that after the 1st round all bets are off and it is so difficult to predict where players will go. I made a top 100 list and I wouldn't be surprised if it could almost get me through a 7 round draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->