Player Nicknames

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
As we are very close to dropping the puck on a new season I have been working on incorporating nicknames for our new or incoming players. But before we get to that we we should revisit the current list of players and nicknames. Obviously, many of these are obvious/common or borrowed/stolen but a few are homemade (and perhaps only gratifying in the context of my warped brain). My hockey disposition requires me to make constant comments, both internal and external, during the game and the nicknames provide me with the necessary outlet for my emotional expulsions. Some of these work well at all times while others might be reserved primarily for goal scoring celebrations. I have a few glaring holes on the roster that I'd like to fix so please chime in if you have a suggestion. Also, this is all in good fun so please don't take any of my options too seriously (good thing that rarely happens on the Internet).

Victor Arvidsson (Little Doodle).

This is one of my favorites which I stole from a GDT last year. Not sure who posted it and the exact context but the comment was "Godspeed little doodle." A Simpsons quote that played right into my wheelhouse.

Anthony Bitetto (Potato)

Doesn't really work for in-game commentary. Occasionally I'll switch to 2-bit.

Mattias Ekholm (??????)

I'm really struggling here. I refuse to even consider Matty Ice and Ecky just seems a little Icky.

Mike Fisher (Fishy)

An obvious one. At it's best when they play Fishy Fishay after a goal.

Filip Forsberg (Filthy Filip)

Another one at the top of my list. Best used after a goal when you can add an extra filthy in there i.e. Filthy FILTHY Filip (with extreme emphasis on the second filthy). Honorable mentions go to Scoresberg and Forceberg.

Calle Jarnkrok (Ironhook)

Not the biggest fan of this one. It should be an awesome nickname, especially since that's the translation of his last name, but it doesn't work for me in the flow of the game. Jarny fails as well.

Ryan Johansen (Joey Jo-Jo)

Another one ripped from the Simpsons. Full name is Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo. See "The Last Temptation of Homer (S5E9)".

Roman Josi (?????)

I've got zilch here. This is a huge hole that's in desperate need of filling (TWSS).

James Neal (Nealer)

Really not a fan of this one and one I'm looking to fix. Even worse is Real Deal. Bleh!

Pekka Rinne (?????)

I don't know. Peks? I guess not everyone needs a nickname.

Mike Ribeiro (McRib!)

Like the McRib sandwich it only shows up every once in a while and will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

Miikka Salomaki (Salty Dog)

Love this one. Enough said.

Colton Sissons (??????)

Craig Smith (Smitty)

This one could stand for an upgrade but Smitty is fairly solid.

Colin Wilson (Willy)

Nothing flashy here. Obviously whenever he scores a goal it's upgraded to Playoff Willy.

And now for the new guys. I'd like to submit these as potential candidates.

Kevin Fiala (Cheese Steak)

Fiala ----> Philly ----> Cheese Steak. It sounds fairly dumb on the surface but say it with deep baritone and emphasis on the Steak. Should work well for positive situations (of which I hope there'll be many).

P.K. Subban (Footlong)

Now before any one gets rankled and starts shouting "Stereotype!" I assure that the origin was completely wholesome and in no way an attempt to follow up on Steve McNair (Cinnabon). I got my son's help with this one. I asked him to come up with a nickname for Subban and he immediately went Sub ----> Subway ----> And I, of course, completed it with Footlong. Now, the beauty of this nickname is that it can be used in conjunction with Fiala's i.e. An assist from Subban and a goal by Fiala nets you a Footlong Cheese Steak!

Obviously there are some other new additions to fill in but I'll probably need to get into the season before something gels.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Appreciate the creativity, however I just go with

Victor Arvidsson - Aardvark

Anthony Bitetto - Tony or Scoreboard (Said in his New York accent. Taken from a Beneath the Ice clip from last year.)

Mattias Ekholm - Matty Ek

Mike Fisher - Fish or Jesus

Filip Forsberg - The Prince

Calle Jarnkrok - Calle

Ryan Johansen - Joey

Roman Josi - I've been known to go with Ro-Yo, but that's it.

James Neal - Nealer

Pekka Rinne - Normally just say Pekka.

Mike Ribeiro - Ribby

Miikka Salomaki - Salty

Colton Sissons - Don't care

Craig Smith - Oh Craig (uh.....inside joke on that one)

Colin Wilson - Willy

P.K. Subban PK

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
ROMAN. JOSI. That's all I need.

Arvy or Not Fiddler or The UnFiddler
Tony (just can't get with the whole 2 bit thing)
Ekkie
Fish or Fishie
Prince Filip or Fil
Jarny or Callie
Joey
James ******* Neal (heh)
Peks
Ribs
Salomaaaaki (Salty is good, though)
"Which one is that?" "Oh...Go Siss!"
Craig Smith
Willie
PK

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Victor Arvidsson - Aardvark

Anthony Bitetto - 2Bit

Mattias Ekholm - Eks (a take on Peks for Rinne)

Mike Fisher - Mr Underwood

Filip Forsberg - The Steal

Calle Jarnkrok - Hook

Ryan Johansen - Joey

Roman Josi - Yoshi

James Neal - Real Deal

Pekka Rinne - Peks (its usually on his mask)

Mike Ribeiro - Ribs

Miikka Salomaki - Salami

Colton Sissons - don't have one

Craig Smith - The Turd (forever and always, even if he wins the Hart, Ross, and Conn Smyth)

Colin Wilson - Willy

P.K. Subban PK

Mazanec Maz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Wasn't there an article or something this summer (when he was once again mis-identified as Foppa) that revealed Forsberg's nickname amongst friends is Forra?

I didn't see it, but my understanding is that "Foppa" is a nickname kind of like Jonesey or Smitty here. So Forra might be another iteration of it-- like, say, Smithers. Or some might say Haller and others say Hallsy for Hall. Same original name, different nickname.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I don't really use nicknames for players, I just stick with the basic shortening of names or their first name if it's easier to say quickly. Unless they are playing bad, then I might use their whole name.....followed by either ...do something right!, or ...just stay on the damn bench!.

Victor Arvidsson

Arvy or aardvark

Anthony Bitetto
Tony, uncle tony or uncle tone (all must be said with exaggerated NY accent). I hate potato or 2bit.

Mattias Ekholm
Ek. I don't like ekky either.

Mike Fisher
Fish, fisher.

Filip Forsberg
Filip, fil.

Calle Jarnkrok
Calle or hook.

Ryan Johansen

Joey. I'm not a fan of Jojo.

Roman Josi

Josi.

James Neal
Neal or real deal when he scores.

Pekka Rinne
Just Pekka.

Mike Ribeiro
Ribs, ribeiro if he's not playing well.

Miikka Salomaki

Miikka.

Colton Sissons
Colt.

Craig Smith
Smith or come on smith!

Colin Wilson
Willy or oh for gods sake Wilson.

Kevin Fiala
Nothing yet, nothing sounds right yet.

P.K. Subban
PK

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
PK calls himself The Subanator. He as also been called Subang and Subbie-do in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad