Player grades

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I think the defense under Shero was poorly constructed. Misfit players and seeming lack of any coherent plan until late in his run as GM. At some point, the light went off, and the team drafted Okhotiyuk, Vukojevic, and Smith. All talented and they offered projectile NHL games. Then they added Bahl. Again, a projectable NHL game. Then Fitz went with a bigger guy in the draft in Mukhamadullin and a bigger guy in a trade in Siegnethaler. He signed Kulikov and Murray and I doubt their stability on the backend was lost on him. The right side is in need of renovation behind Severson and PK, but at least Fitz seems to understand that your defense needs to both move the puck and make it difficult for the opposition in your own end. The left side seems to have depth of prospects in this regard. Hopefully they start to develop the right side also. At least they seem to have moved on from Butcher as a core piece on defense. The team is young and still figuring it out. If the plan and vision are there you expect at some point they will succeed even if it isn't as soon as we want.

I think Shero made some comments re: Bahl after he acquired him indicating he realized the value of size on the backend. Fitz made some comments after taking Mukhamadullin similarly on the need for players with his skills and size to be a cup contender. I don't know if the Blues winning with Parayko dominating was the catalyst but it seemed like league consensus shifted after that cup victory, recognizing the value of size on the backend, it just wasn't so important that you should sacrifice puck skills to get it in your lineup.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This place never changes. Many posters have indefensible positions, then get definitively proven incorrect, and proceed to double down on their incoherent, nonsensical stance anyway or shift the goal posts entirely. This eliminates actually interesting conversation/debate.

Example: A few of us were vocal for years that you couldn't construct a team entirely of undersized and/or soft defenseman. Even going a step further, I remember posting a height and weight analysis over the last couple decades that made it pretty damn clear an extremely undersized Devils' team was gonna be in trouble. Of course you have to take height/weight data with a grain of salt, which I preemptively acknowledged, but the delta was too big to simply ignore. Both of these viewpoints got ripped to shreds by the echo chamber on here. You "didn't understand the NEW NHL. Size doesn't matter." Or, you "wanted giant grenade handlers on the backend", like bleed is somehow still parroting.

Even more hilarious, my posts always proactively said I didn't want pure grenade handlers nor was I advocating for a size requirement entirely independent of skills. Didn't matter. Then comes the extreme strawman arguments, generally by the same handful of posters (NOT saying Bleed is one of these posters). Then people not involved in the initial discussion jump in by quoting the poster making the ridiculous strawman/incoherent retort instead of addressing the original post.....and the conversation proceeds to naturally go off the rails. :laugh:

Now let's bring this back to the thread. Ghost and I, who were two early advocates for needing some degree of reach/physicality/crease clearing/strong boardwork on the backend, both gave very high grades to Smith and destroyed Siegenthaler.
I don’t know if anyone is pro-“construct a team with a defense entirely of undersized and soft players” either though.

I’m actually pretty wary of even drafting real small defensemen, unlike forwards. Jared Spurgeon aside, I think teams and coaches just don’t like using them and once they have one undersized defensemen, and definitely if they have two, they just don’t want more on their top six. Victor Mete was doomed when he didn’t score enough, his size is obviously an huge issue for their coach. There are reasons for the prejudices against small defenders and the prejudice is very hard to overcome without good amount offensive production. (Elite prospects are a different story obviously.)

@Bleedred and others posters’ arguments about Severson and other two-way defensemen, and he can correct me if I’m wrong about this, are that a team isn’t good until it has two-way defensemen who can transition the puck. And they aren’t a playoff team until they have top two-way defensemen who can transition the puck. And they aren’t a contender until they have an elite two-way defenseman (plus at least another excellent two way defenseman) who can transition the puck.

And the importance of two-way defensemen is what the “grenade handlers” thing is about. Yes, Severson can be a hot mess at times. Historically, he was a second pairing defenseman typically given 1st pairing duties as this team’s main two-way defenseman. That’s why people specifically defend Severson.

Posters did want him dumped (perhaps in a fit of anger after a one his patented brain farts) and did talk a lot about “defensemen who defend”. If you just have six “defensemen who defend” you have a bad team that will be bent over possession wise.

Now you may respond something a long the lines, “I’m not an idiot, this was a team that had Nieds and Rafalski, I know how hockey works etc” but there was a definite fetish for “defensemen who defend” arguably up to Shero, just looking at the 2019 draft. (He could have addressed the defense better through draft before but that’s a different story.) And just like you and others presumably don’t dislike two-defensemen who transition the puck, Team Puck Mover presumably doesn’t dislike more defensive defensemen either. I personally don’t think they are as important or valuable, but that’s because two-way defensemen are the most valuable players after centers today.

I do distinguish between two-way defensemen and offensive defensemen. The best current example of the offensive defenseman is Tyson Barrie. That’s where you’re sacrificing defense to have a fourth offensive player. (Meaning he’s a disaster defensively.)

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I think the defense under Shero was poorly constructed. Misfit players and seeming lack of any coherent plan until late in his run as GM. At some point, the light went off, and the team drafted Okhotiyuk, Vukojevic, and Smith. All talented and they offered projectile NHL games. Then they added Bahl. Again, a projectable NHL game. Then Fitz went with a bigger guy in the draft in Mukhamadullin and a bigger guy in a trade in Siegnethaler. He signed Kulikov and Murray and I doubt their stability on the backend was lost on him. The right side is in need of renovation behind Severson and PK, but at least Fitz seems to understand that your defense needs to both move the puck and make it difficult for the opposition in your own end. The left side seems to have depth of prospects in this regard. Hopefully they start to develop the right side also. At least they seem to have moved on from Butcher as a core piece on defense. The team is young and still figuring it out. If the plan and vision are there you expect at some point they will succeed even if it isn't as soon as we want.

I can't disagree with you.

Here is an example of my thoughts regarding Devils defense issues: Severson. When he is good he is good, not great. When he is bad he is the worst, terrible. Year after year he is the same. Therefore since he is inconsistent and never improving, his history with the Devils has shown this, therefore he must go, ASAP.

Another example: PK Subban. Simple, he doesn't have it. He is not a top defensemen anymore or with the Devils. Too much money wasted to demote him to the middle or bottom pairing. Admit the mistake made by Shero and cut him loose, ASAP.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
On the whole, one of the best seasons from player development perspective so overall I give the team a B+ on that aspect. I usually feel like the group in general falls short aside from maybe rose colored glasses on a player or two but we have a core of youth playing above expectation more often than not and I welcome that change.

Everything else kinda stunk between the schedule, Covid, vets not doing their part enough, special teams absolutely bombing it, and no time to practice to improve so I'm scoring the entire thing an Incomplete.

Very excited to see what a proper camp, practice schedule, and recovery from Covid/injuries can do for this squad next season along with no doubt a new veteran player or two and maybe another draft pick.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Here is an example of my thoughts regarding Devils defense issues: Severson. When he is good he is good, not great. When he is bad he is the worst, terrible. Year after year he is the same. Therefore since he is inconsistent and never improving, his history with the Devils has shown this, therefore he must go, ASAP.

Another example: PK Subban. Simple, he doesn't have it. He is not a top defensemen anymore or with the Devils. Too much money wasted to demote him to the middle or bottom pairing. Admit the mistake made by Shero and cut him loose, ASAP.

I think Subban is ok when he plays conservatively. Severson the same more or less. Given the cap and locker room issues it’s tricky to just dump players. Unless you are getting back better right handed defenders you are just going to have worse players in those spots. NJ will have to improve the defense but they need some bridge players in the interim.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

subban is not as bad as you're making him out to be. he led all defensemen in shots, he was second only to severson (by 7 seconds) to lead all skaters in ATOI, was on a 35 point pace of 82 games, 3rd most hits among defensemen. that's without going into intangibles like character and leadership qualities. and we have oodles of cap space, so his cap hit isn't a concern.

in my opinion we not only shouldn't cut him loose, we should re-sign him when his contract is up. at that point, assuming some of our prospects have panned out by then, he should be a 2nd-3rd pairing guy with PP time.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I think Subban is ok when he plays conservatively. Severson the same more or less. Given the cap and locker room issues it’s tricky to just dump players. Unless you are getting back better right handed defenders you are just going to have worse players in those spots. NJ will have to improve the defense but they need some bridge players in the interim.

I hope you know that I am suggesting the extreme. It is a goal, a plan, a strategy, defense first. So it take 2 or 3 years to get the best defense it is a better plan than what the Devils have done in the past 5 years to get us fans and team, this present defense including goalies.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
subban is not as bad as you're making him out to be. he led all defensemen in shots, he was second only to severson (by 7 seconds) to lead all skaters in ATOI, was on a 35 point pace of 82 games, 3rd most hits among defensemen. that's without going into intangibles like character and leadership qualities. and we have oodles of cap space, so his cap hit isn't a concern.

in my opinion we not only shouldn't cut him loose, we should re-sign him when his contract is up. at that point, assuming some of our prospects have panned out by then, he should be a 2nd-3rd pairing guy with PP time.

So good defense is shots that miss?
So good defense is time on the ice?
2020 was 82 games 2021 was56 games
So good defense is math variations?
So good defense is wasting cap money?

When his contract is up, you can get a younger so so defensemen if that is what is needed for a lot less money than PK who will retire while skating if you bring him back.

Sorry can't agree with you.

That's what is great, we don't have to agree. Do we both agree that the Devils defense has sucked? The plan to fix it sucked? Defense is where you start to fix this messy team that has not improved in defense in 5 years? Wait. There is Smith, that is improvement through the AHL and by the Devils.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
So good defense is shots that miss?

when you take more shots than anyone else on the blue line, you're also going to miss a lot of shots. basic probability

So good defense is time on the ice?

yes, that's part of it. a defenseman who can eat massive minutes, often taking difficult time away from rookies to ensure they are in a position to succeed, is part of being a good defenseman. that will be important in the next few years.

2020 was 82 games 2021 was56 games

i don't know what this means, but we did not play 82 games last year anyway.

So good defense is math variations?

i don't know what this means.

So good defense is wasting cap money?

managing a cap is a GM's job, it has nothing to do with defense. my point was having subban in the lineup is a net positive, it's not wasting anything. he's certainly not worth his current cap hit, but would we even reach the cap floor without him?

When his contract is up, you can get a younger so so defensemen if that is what is needed for a lot less money than PK who will retire while skating if you bring him back.

so now we're (assumingly) spending assets to rid ourselves of subban, and spending more assets (salary $ or otherwise) to bring in a 'so so young defenseman'? i don't think that would have the impact you think it would.

Do we both agree that the Devils defense has sucked? The plan to fix it sucked?

i actually don't think the defense sucked this year, the eye test told me we were a lot more coordinated and purposeful than we were under ruff. i think that yet again we were victims of shitty goaltending for stretches at a time. and our special teams sucked ass.

Wait. There is Smith, that is improvement through the AHL and by the Devils.

couldn't' agree more. but you're not going to want 3-4 rookie defenseman patrolling the blueline, you're going to want someone with experience guiding them. severson and subban would be excellent in that regard.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

ASAP is not the solution, if you can't replace them with better players. the devils internal solutions are carrick and tennyson.
if this is the alternative scenario, they better roll out pk and severson every night, as long as their contracts are running.
if you can get guys like pesce or parayko as cap casualties or for futures in case of a rebuild, the devils should try to acquire them. but the blues and the hurricanes love those players as well and would ask for hughes and hischier in a trade.
trading severson or buying out pk most likely doesn't improve the team at all. those moves are more helpful, if you want to tank for wright or bedard.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Subban is a fine middle pairing guy, I was worried about him at the beginning of the season but he really turned the corner after our COVID break.

Overpaid for sure but some of you guys are acting like he's Kurtis Foster or something. He has one year left and we're not going to be anywhere close to the cap whether he's in the lineup or not.

Getting rid of him would cost us assets, and replacing him would cost us even more. Just let him play his role for a year. If he wants to come back on a smaller 1-2 year deal in the $3-5 M range then I'd be happy to negotiate.

Getting rid of Severson is absolute insanity to even suggest.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'd like Hampus Lindholm for the middle pair if we can grab him. I feel like we have the assets for Sam Reinhart, too.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'd like Hampus Lindholm for the middle pair if we can grab him. I feel like we have the assets for Sam Reinhart, too.
Lindholm would cost our own 1st +. Reinhart NYI 1st ++.
Shouldn't the Devils not first try to become a PO contender without expensive external additions? Than you can address roster gaps with the surplus of assets? Short cuts most likely lead the wrong way. You trade the young guys, who blossom elsewhere and try to band-aid a lame duck into an eagle. And you end up with a few albatroses.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Who exactly are we replacing Severson and Subban with ? I thunk you might being a little harsh on them both. I agree it is frustrating watching them sometimes but at this point , who are we going to get that’s any better? Severson is on a very friendly contract and is a very good #3 D and maybe even a decent #2 , but is getting asked to do too much . No this fault. Same with Subban
We need a true #1 to contend. Hopefully we have that in Smith or who we draft this year. Time will tell

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Who exactly are we replacing Severson and Subban with ? I thunk you might being a little harsh on them both. I agree it is frustrating watching them sometimes but at this point , who are we going to get that’s any better? Severson is on a very friendly contract and is a very good #3 D and maybe even a decent #2 , but is getting asked to do too much . No this fault. Same with Subban
We need a true #1 to contend. Hopefully we have that in Smith or who we draft this year. Time will tell

As you said, time will tell who we can get. The offseason hasn't even started. I want priority on the defense first that has been a weak link for some time.

Severson is a problem regardless of his contract. When he is good he is just good not great but when he is bad he is totally terrible. I would replace him with someone that is consistently good for lower pairing.

Subban is playing a 3rd or 4th D but being paid as top D. He won't get better. If he is kept he plays 3rd or 4th and gets paid too much. So take the financial hit if they can to get a better player. He was a bad buy in the first place. Devils got hosed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad