Player Discussion: Shayne Gostisbehere 2018-19 edition

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, it's a tough matchup issue for AV.

Provorov - Niskanen is your best all around pair.
Sanheim - Braun, with Sanheim being your best offensive defenseman (ES) and Braun to CYA for him, allowing him to remain aggressive.
Ghost - Myers, your most talented pair, but with Myers' inexperience and Ghost's lack of size.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
This never happens. Coaches obsess over matchups.
For good reason. To optimize performance. Obviously not every combination of F line and D pair will gel for whatever reason. Why would you just randomize when you can optimize by putting lines and pairs that work well together.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Sanheim - Braun, with Sanheim being your best offensive defenseman (ES) and Braun to CYA for him, allowing him to remain aggressive.
Ghost - Myers, your most talented pair, but with Myers' inexperience and Ghost's lack of size.

Niskanen and Provorov haven’t even played together yet.

I’m not sure if I’d count on Braun to cover anyone’s ass.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Niskanen and Provorov haven’t even played together yet.

I’m not sure if I’d count on Braun to cover anyone’s ass.

Braun is a top defensive defenseman, his offense has nosedived, but he's still very good at preventing scoring chances.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Braun just has to nurse maid Travis for one season, get the puck in the D-zone and out to Travis and provide the "last man back."
I mean that's basically what Gudas did and Braun is a better skater.

Next year Myers moves up to the top 4, and Friedman/Morin move into the 3rd pair with Ghost.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

We'll see what AV does.

I think it's possible the new coaches will put the best 4 D in the top 4:

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Niskanen
Morin-Braun shut down pairing
Hagg

And Myers to start in the AHL. This avoids having to deal Morin or Hagg under pressure of losing them on waivers until the D settles in.

Then Myers can come up if a shuffle is necessary or someone gets hurt.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
We'll see what AV does.

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Niskanen
Hagg

And Myers to start in the AHL. This avoids having to deal Morin or Hagg under pressure of losing them on waivers until the D settles in.

Myers is better than Morin, Hagg and Braun.

I would rather lose Hagg than send Myers to the AHL. Actually I think I would rather trade him but if that’s not an option...

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
We'll see what AV does.

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Niskanen
Hagg

Fletcher has said Myers is on the third pair. He's not going to the AHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We'll see what AV does.

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Niskanen
Hagg

They traded Gudas because they viewed him as a 3RD and wanted Myers to start there. Hes not going back to the AHL.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Myers is definitely assures a spot short of blowing it completely. With how cluttered the D is and how they continually seek out players outside the organization to fill out the D, I’m pretty convinced Morin will never get a real shot in the lineup as anything close to a mainstay.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morin will get a shot if he earns it, but there's no guarantee he's even ahead of Hagg or Friedman right now.
He hasn't actually done anything special in his career, even before his injuries, that would guarantee him a job.
If he shows well in camp he'll be the #7 defensemen, injuries are almost inevitable, and he'll have his chance to Wally Pipp someone.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
SG: I was hampered down a little bit with my leg. I think this summer we’ve nailed it down to the point where I can really figure out how to take care of it and be OK with it. I think not skating on one and a half legs will be a lot easier this season. For me, again I don’t want to use it as an excuse, but this summer I took care of it and hopefully it will be a better season.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
SG: I was hampered down a little bit with my leg. I think this summer we’ve nailed it down to the point where I can really figure out how to take care of it and be OK with it. I think not skating on one and a half legs will be a lot easier this season. For me, again I don’t want to use it as an excuse, but this summer I took care of it and hopefully it will be a better season.

Did he play through an injuries? Seems to be a trend.
Your friendly reminder that all of Ghost, Sanheim and Myers have suffered significant lower body injuries being stuck in minors. But no one gets hurt by being in Ahl for too long right hexy? Probably just used it as excuse for not being strong enough to begin with lol. Wait a minute wasn't that the case with Morin too?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One of the keys for Ghost this season is this:

I’d say it was an accumulation of things. It was a blocked shot and then trying to come back from it and skating on it. I think rest was probably the best thing for it, but it’s hard for someone to tell a hockey player not to play when you know you’re capable of playing so I’m gonna play any chance I get. I still think I was valuable to the team but that’s in the past. Hopefully I’m looking and all of us are looking toward a healthy season, just going out there. We’ve got a really good team this year so it’s gonna be exciting.

With Morin as your 7th D-man and Hagg/Friedman as your 8th, the Flyers will have the depth to rest players and let them heal.
This is especially important for Ghost, who with his frame, he's going to get banged up at times. His game falls off drastically when injured/dinged (it's not like he can use his size to compensate if his skating is compromised), so it just makes sense to sit him for a couple weeks rather than have him play at 75%.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Did he play through an injuries? Seems to be a trend.
Your friendly reminder that all of Ghost, Sanheim and Myers have suffered significant lower body injuries being stuck in minors. But no one gets hurt by being in Ahl for too long right hexy? Probably just used it as excuse for not being strong enough to begin with lol. Wait a minute wasn't that the case with Morin too?

You get the same injuries in the NHL. They didn't get injured b/c they were in the AHL, they just got injured.

Deep teams that are good enough to easily make the playoffs often rest key players to get them healthy for the playoffs, thin teams that are on the bubble ask players to play through injuries and they're never 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad