Player Discussion: Shayne Gostisbehere 2018-19 edition

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's such a dick. :laugh:

But wait wait! He played Dale Weise in a game, I believe, away at Montreal and flat out admitted in his post-game interview that was the reason he put him in.

I believe it was Lehtera & St. Louis last year. Jori really showed them what they were missing I’ll tell you that.

Yeah, I’m not sure if he did it for Weise too, but he definitely did it for Lehtera. Clearly winning isn’t the most important thing to Hakstol. If it was, he doesn’t make the lineup weaker by doing things like this or scratching young guys.

Such an unbelievable prick.

Whenever someone tries to say that he has no bias in favor of vets, this should (but won’t) shut them up real quick.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Simple Hak is only sentimental about worthless garbage veterans. He is too jealous of the skill he never had to be sentimental over our young guns.

Reactions: Tripod and Striiker

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
With what magical cap space? And who? The entire 2016 UFA market has busted. And for all we know, he tried, but that UFA decided to go elsewhere.

Eric Staal was available. Pretty sure he wasn’t signed (or even considered) by many teams GM’s because of his 6.3% shooting percentage during the 15/16 season. Career shooting percentage was 10.60% prior to that season. Grabner was also available. Super streaky player, but he would’ve been a much better option than the dog on skates that is, Dale Weise.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Eric Staal was available. Pretty sure he wasn’t signed (or even considered) by many teams GM’s because of his 6.3% shooting percentage during the 15/16 season. Career shooting percentage was 10.60% prior to that season. Grabner was also available. Super streaky player, but he would’ve been a much better option than the dog on skates that is, Dale Weise.
when were they availible?? Curious cause I dont know. Hindsight says yes I would rather have signed them then dale weise. Was it the same off season???

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I advocated trying to sign him that offseason, but he took a discount to go to Minnesota which a very popular destination for certain players. He was also genuinely unimpressive with the Rangers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For some reasons fans think free agents must sign with the Flyers at a reasonable cost if asked.
Last time I checked many have options and their own agenda (family, location preferences, teammates they liked, etc.)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree. But as I also said, Hextall may have tried but they chose elsewhere.

And we would have had to make other moves as we were right up against the cap. But for sure adding Staal would have been a nice add. But you can't always get what you want. And maybe Stall thought with Giroux and Couts here, Minny would be a better fit...if Hextall did in fact inquire.

Point remains, adding a top UFA the past couple of years was tough considering Hextall was in cleanup mode.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
when were they availible?? Curious cause I dont know. Hindsight says yes I would rather have signed them then dale weise. Was it the same off season???

Yeah. Both were UFA’s in 2016.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Staal was no brainier. Beautiful skater with long track record who had offyear on a line with fourth liners. Not that different from Skinner. Canes letting their premier talent go and hfboards are like they are about to make the next step lol. But now when they got svechnioov they sure will get there.

Reactions: Rebels57

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
As a side note, Gostisbehere, the race horse, won for the second time in his 14th start. The horse was named by his breeder and original owner Steve Wigmore who is a Flyers' fan from PA. The horse won at Churchill Downs in Kentucky.

tumblr_mv4rtibOlS1rewusno1_500.gif

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
As a side note, Gostisbehere, the race horse, won for the second time in his 14th start. The horse was named by his breeder and original owner Steve Wigmore who is a Flyers' fan from PA. The horse won at Churchill Downs in Kentucky.

tumblr_mv4rtibOlS1rewusno1_500.gif
I stopped getting updates about the CanadianFlyer horse... did he finish his career in spectacularly lacklustre fashion? :laugh:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I stopped getting updates about the CanadianFlyer horse... did he finish his career in spectacularly lacklustre fashion? :laugh:

He had a year layoff but returned to race at Saratoga this summer which is almost as big a meet as there is in the States. That is the positive. The negative is he didn't win in his two starts there. Keep the faith. I will let you know his next race. Never try to usurp the Ghost.:sarcasm:

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad