Player Discussion: Shayne Gostisbehere 2018-19 edition

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
But the problem is he's given terrible players like Hagg far more leeway than TK or Ghost.

Hagg had been worse defensively than either of them and didn't miss a single game until he got injured. He was given FAAAAR more leeway than Hakstol would ever give a skill player.

The example Hasktol set was that you can be as horrible as you want, as long as you're physical and "safe". Even if your results are atrocious. Ghost far outperformed Hagg in all three zones and yet he was the one who missed games and got benched in his first few years here.
That depends on how you value 20% chance of unsuccessful zone exit aka 'dumb turnover' vs chuck it out the zone right away aka 'safe play' and we all know hak clearly doesn't value players on their offensive impact lol.

Reactions: Striiker

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Really the only thing Hextall deserves criticism for is the coaching situation.

I have no problem with his pro/amateur decision making.
I don't want to get into this, but the fact that it took him 5 years to sign impact player in free agency doesn't reflect all too well on him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't want to get into this, but the fact that it took him 5 years to sign impact player in free agency doesn't reflect all too well on him.
It’s all about timing. ;)

He signed someone because he felt the team was now on the cusp of being a legit playoff team, opposed to one hoping to squeak in and getting bounced immediately (like last year or previous years). The difference was our young guys coming up and proving to be ready to take on big roles. Now a guy like JVR became available, we had tons of space, and the team is a good bet to at least be a playoff team next year. Made sense to switch mentalities now.

Like you said, we don’t need to get into this again, but Im just saying why I can see why the timing was right now but it wasn’t before. If you think he should have done it earlier, I disagree, but no big deal.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg over Morin coming out of training camp last season?
I didn’t mean I agree with every decision he makes, just that it isn’t something I think is a giant recurring problem.

There’s been plenty of things that he’s done that I don’t like, but overall I think the good outweighs the bad.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
With what magical cap space? And who? The entire 2016 UFA market has busted. And for all we know, he tried, but that UFA decided to go elsewhere.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers legendary defenseman Mark Howe had 3 goals in his first 25 playoff games. several times at least he went goalless in a playoff series at least.
not that I am comparing Ghost to Howe, I am just saying the guy has a dozen playoff games under his belt. Yeah he wasnt good in the Pittsburgh series. Of course Pittsburgh was the worst possible matchup the Flyers could of got in round 1. Sometimes there is that too.

Top players have off playoff series, but what makes them top players are that they have series where they dominated, i.e., they may not do it every year, but they do it often enough that it evens out and their body of work, relative to other players, is excellent.

Ghost has yet to do it at all in the playoffs, until he does, you don't know if he's a good playoff player.

Reactions: BernieParent

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How did take 5 years when it's 2018 and he became GM in 2014. :huh:

With what magical cap space? And who? The entire 2016 UFA market has busted. And for all we know, he tried, but that UFA decided to go elsewhere.

Remember in November 2015 when Hextall called up Chris Conner as a injury replacement when Couturier and Bellemare were injured because he was the only half-decent forward on the Phantoms with a cap hit low enough to keep the Flyers under the cap ceiling? That was two months before he was able to unload Vinny and LSchenn, two Holmgren specials.

Flyers call up veteran winger Chris Conner from Phantoms | NBC Sports Philadelphia

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Remember in November 2015 when Hextall called up Chris Conner as a injury replacement when Couturier and Bellemare were injured because he was the only half-decent forward on the Phantoms with a cap hit low enough to keep the Flyers under the cap ceiling? That was two months before he was able to unload Vinny and LSchenn, two Holmgren specials.

Flyers call up veteran winger Chris Conner from Phantoms | NBC Sports Philadelphia

And that was after he gave Hartnell away just to get from under the last three years of his contract.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Hagg over Morin coming out of training camp last season?
I believe that was Hak more than hexy. Which bothers me cause Morin had the skill set to be impactful defensive player and pk player more so than hagg. Hak playing hagg forced hexy to send him down just like sanhiem.

Honestly watching last year it looked like hak was so worried about winning or not losing that playing time took hits for players who made mistakes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt Hak has ever forced Hextall to do anything.
Just look at that face, does that look like a man who can be extorted?

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

For a while he had to unload a lot.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I doubt Hak has ever forced Hextall to do anything.
Just look at that face, does that look like a man who can be extorted?
If he wouldn’t play a player hexy would send him down to play. And he has said he wants the kids playing hockey. So he did in fact force hexy into send down two nhl caliber players. Nothing to debate about this. Before sanhiem was sent down hextal stated this and gave hak a chance to play him and he didn’t. And once hagg got hurt sanhiem came back up and proved he was the better player.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I believe that was Hak more than hexy. Which bothers me cause Morin had the skill set to be impactful defensive player and pk player more so than hagg. Hak playing hagg forced hexy to send him down just like sanhiem.

Morin and Hagg played the same amount of games in preseason, and Hextall put Hagg (and Patrick and Leier) on the roster straight after the final preseason game.

Hextall announces roster decisions

Morin was only on the Flyers opening road trip because Ghost was injured in the final preseason game and they needed an 8th dman.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Morin and Hagg played the same amount of games in preseason, and Hextall put Hagg (and Patrick and Leier) on the roster straight after the final preseason game.

Hextall announces roster decisions

Morin was only on the Flyers opening road trip because Ghost was injured in the final preseason game and they needed an 8th dman.
Your right. Still believe that had more to do with Hak saying he preferred to play hagg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Sanheim not playing Opening Night and not knowing if he made the team or not, into the start of the season, was still one of the weirdest things to happen last year.

I especially like how Sanheim sat opening night for Manning in L.A., played the next 3 games, then was also benched for the home opener for Manning. Now, THAT was weird and totally not an emotion-based decision to have Manning get his little skate out and applause.

Or to say it in picture form:

bmMT2uG.jpg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I especially like how Sanheim sat opening night for Manning in L.A., played the next 3 games, then was also benched for the home opener for Manning. Now, THAT was weird and totally not an emotion-based decision to have Manning get his little skate out and applause.

Or to say it in picture form:

bmMT2uG.jpg
Just like when Ghost had family at the game and Hakstol scratched him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad