Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
-8, bruh.
giphy.gif

Reactions: BernieParent

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
How many NHL defensemen are on rosters league wide? 210? 220? 17 is pretty damn good.
Like most NHL defenseman he has his strengths and weaknesses. You could pick apart 95 percent of the defensemen in the league and find flaws.
He is still a very important part of this team and we are lucky to have him on this club.
The guy has a dozen playoff games under his belt or whatever it is. Its way to early to judge what kind of playoff performer he will be.

Plus Ghost makes less than most if not all other than Werenski (who is negotiating right now I believe). I think we have a pretty darn good deal with a top 17 NHL defender.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Yeah, and what's most hilarious is when people say TK or Ghost got benched for being bad defensively...

Even if that were true, the guys who played are equally as bad, if not worse. And they have zero skill/speed/brains, so there's no chance they get the puck out of the zone or create any offense. You don't bench guys for being "bad defensively" so you can use players who are worse... that makes no sense.

It's all about the Hakshell. Offense is not allowed.
Yep I would think that only difference is that they already had offensive instincts coached out of them. Again I'm not saying developing their defense is bad, but trying to make a player with karlssonesque potential coach into kris roussell isn't the right way.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yep I would think that only difference is that they already had offensive instincts coached out of them. Again I'm not saying developing their defense is bad, but trying to make a player with karlssonesque potential coach into kris roussell isn't the right way.
The problem is the coach overvalues defense so much that he undervalues offense. Which is particularly problematic when combined with the fact that he can't evaluate players, so the guys he thinks are shutdown "safe" players are actually the worst on the team.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a player to improve defensively, but they won't improve on the bench and they're clearly already a better option than the guys playing ahead of them. Just let them play. It helps them, it helps the team, there's no downside.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The problem is the coach overvalues defense so much that he undervalues offense. Which is particularly problematic when combined with the fact that he can't evaluate players, so the guys he thinks are shutdown "safe" players are actually the worst on the team.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a player to improve defensively, but they won't improve on the bench and they're clearly already a better option than the guys playing ahead of them. Just let them play. It helps them, it helps the team, there's no downside.

well thankfully Hakstol's toys are slowly being taken away from him by Hextall. Would like to have it happen faster like anyone would, but no one is going to take the garbage on the back end of this roster.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
well thankfully Hakstol's toys are slowly being taken away from him by Hextall. Would like to have it happen faster like anyone would, but no one is going to take the garbage on the back end of this roster.
Yeah, exactly.

Obviously I'd rather Hextall just fire the idiot, but I guess he's more patient watching someone do stupid things than we are. What gives me reason to still trust Hextall is how he's proved that he doesn't have the same talent evaluation problem Hakstol has, otherwise the trash players would still be here. Luckily it seems like all the problem players will be gone in a year or two, so we don't really have much to worry about, as far as the roster goes.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

Well there's also another reasoning coaches possibly make. And thats if you allow more leeway to the likes of Konecny or Ghost players like Weal or Hagg would follow and you don't want to set the same example? I know there was interview out of Ottawa that Karlsson has always green light which implies that they do stiffle everyone else and they fear they'll end up with isles shitshow.?!

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Yeah, exactly.

Obviously I'd rather Hextall just fire the idiot, but I guess he's more patient watching someone do stupid things than we are. What gives me reason to still trust Hextall is how he's proved that he doesn't have the same talent evaluation problem Hakstol has, otherwise the trash players would still be here. Luckily it seems like all the problem players will be gone in a year or two, so we don't really have much to worry about, as far as the roster goes.
Honeymoon is surely over for hexy. Couple of years ago we were posting how our pro scouts are the worst and how amazing hexy is in drafting, while lately amateur scouts are recognized for their good work and some of hexys decisions are being questioned.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well there's also another reasoning coaches possibly make. And thats if you allow more leeway to the likes of Konecny or Ghost players like Weal or Hagg would follow and you don't want to set the same example? I know there was interview out of Ottawa that Karlsson has always green light which implies that they do stiffle everyone else and they fear they'll end up with isles ****show.?!
But the problem is he's given terrible players like Hagg far more leeway than TK or Ghost.

Hagg had been worse defensively than either of them and didn't miss a single game until he got injured. He was given FAAAAR more leeway than Hakstol would ever give a skill player.

The example Hasktol set was that you can be as horrible as you want, as long as you're physical and "safe". Even if your results are atrocious. Ghost far outperformed Hagg in all three zones and yet he was the one who missed games and got benched in his first few years here.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Honeymoon is surely over for hexy. Couple of years ago we were posting how our pro scouts are the worst and how amazing hexy is in drafting, while lately amateur scouts are recognized for their good work and some of hexys decisions are being questioned.
Really the only thing Hextall deserves criticism for is the coaching situation.

I have no problem with his pro/amateur decision making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->