Player Discussion: Samuel Montembeault

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
From where it left off last season, I'd like to see Monty put up some solid numbers in Charlotte.

Driedger had a couple rough seasons in AHL before it seemed to click for him right around 25 years old.
Monty just turned 24 in October, but totally agree, he needs to play a good chunk of games in Charlotte to see if he can handle a stopgap backup role if Driedger moves on in free agency.

Monty had some good stretches, the 4 game win streak (2018-2019) and 8 of his 25 total NHL games have been .925 sv% or better, all two goals or less against.
But the rest were usually in the low/high.800's sv%. 9-16 in those 25 games, bunch of SO games over the 2 partial years.
Needs more consistency in amount and performance in games of course, just like with Desrosiers.

Between the 3 in Monty, Desrosiers and Bednard, we should have one guy who can backup for at least a year or two while Knight is making his way.
My pick is Bednard.
Don't think we will lose a goalie to SEA, Driedger is a UFA so SEA can sign him later and still pick a forward/defenseman from us.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Driedger had a couple rough seasons in AHL before it seemed to click for him right around 25 years old.
Monty just turned 24 in October, but totally agree, he needs to play a good chunk of games in Charlotte to see if he can handle a stopgap backup role if Driedger moves on in free agency.

Monty had some good stretches, the 4 game win streak (2018-2019) and 8 of his 25 total NHL games have been .925 sv% or better, all two goals or less against.
But the rest were usually in the low/high.800's sv%. 9-16 in those 25 games, bunch of SO games over the 2 partial years.
Needs more consistency in amount and performance in games of course, just like with Desrosiers.

Between the 3 in Monty, Desrosiers and Bednard, we should have one guy who can backup for at least a year or two while Knight is making his way.
My pick is Bednard.
Don't think we will lose a goalie to SEA, Driedger is a UFA so SEA can sign him later and still pick a forward/defenseman from us.
Hit it on the head: we want a cheap homegrown goalie to bridge the Judge to the Knight

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
What are your expectations for him next season?
Matheson and Brown gone, Yandle still around...a little better numbers wise, but as often as they help Driedger and not their 10 million guy they can't afford to scratch, my expectations are Sam will start turning heads and start being listed in the Beckett mags once he leaves for even the slightest defensive minded team.

He did as good as should be expected as far as I can point out, but y'know how the critics are- doesn't matter how the stats get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad