Player Discussion: Samuel Montembeault

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
What do you mean “you can’t”? I sure can. I did, in fact.

In the neighborhood of $10M/year to get a goalie for long term and block your possible future star goalie? Heck yeah, DT should think about it.

One can be flippant about it, but one shouldn’t be.

I'll go with the proven option every day, especially in the goaltending department. There's no guarantee whatsoever that Monty becomes a starter, first of all, and to not improve our goaltending in the hopes of this happening would be a massive risk, especially going into the next 2-3 years where we desperately need playoff appearances.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I'll go with the proven option every day, especially in the goaltending department. There's no guarantee whatsoever that Monty becomes a starter, first of all, and to not improve our goaltending in the hopes of this happening would be a massive risk, especially going into the next 2-3 years where we desperately need playoff appearances.

As much as I despise saying this - if they sign Bob, trade Monty. It would be such a disappointment to see him back in the AHL and then riding the bench for years after Lou finally retires.

Going with the proven goaltender every time means never developing and starting your own prospect. Bednard is a few years away, guess we should look to trade him too as we should always go with a proven starter.

IMO, I would rather sign someone like Varlomov since he has fallen out of favor in Colorado to a 2/3 year deal. This would allow Monty to develop in the NHL and Bednard in the AHL.

Reactions: teddygmr

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
As much as I despise saying this - if they sign Bob, trade Monty. It would be such a disappointment to see him back in the AHL and then riding the bench for years after Lou finally retires.

Going with the proven goaltender every time means never developing and starting your own prospect. Bednard is a few years away, guess we should look to trade him too as we should always go with a proven starter.

IMO, I would rather sign someone like Varlomov since he has fallen out of favor in Colorado to a 2/3 year deal. This would allow Monty to develop in the NHL and Bednard in the AHL.
And that was part of my point. Don’t expect to give Bob the next 5-6 years and have Monty mostly on the sidelines.

That’s probably the key thing about this situation. It’s very very difficult to sign Bob AND keep Monty.

I can see the arguments for Bob, but you could be also putting the franchise in a bad spot longer term.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Honestly, this team needs to stop thinking long term.

If Bob blocks Monty, so be it. Barkov and Huberdeau are in their prime. They need to sign and build around them now and go for it.

Dadonov ain't getting younger. Hoffman is turning 30. Trocheck is..... Trocheck

If its hurts us 5 6 years down the line... so be it.

The dynamic duo will be 29 and 30.

Go blockbuster this summer and go for.
Sign Bob, get a D, and f***ing win

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

If Bob blocks Monty, so be it. Barkov and Huberdeau are in their prime. They need to sign and build around them now and go for it.

Sign Bob, get a D, and ****ing win
Nice fantasy.

You didn’t say get a real coach. So I’m already yawning.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL

I understand your viewpoint but I look at things differently. I look to the long term for most everything.

That's why a shorter term goaltender such as Varlamov makes more sense to me. It will allow longer term development of our own goalies.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I understand your viewpoint but I look at things differently. I look to the long term for most everything.

That's why a shorter term goaltender such as Varlamov makes more sense to me. It will allow longer term development of our own goalies.

I am not big on Varlamov personally.

And at the very least, he has already said he wants to stay in Colorado.

If this team is going to win, its going to be on the shoulders of Barkov and Huberdeau. And they need support now. Starting October 2019.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

We are definitely getting into a fist fight tonight pal. "Trade Mon..." gotdammit.

Wednesday. Me n Charlotte vs you and...well the Mrs. wouldn't suggest we trade Monty, would she? If so, mixed tag team match ahoy!

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We are definitely getting into a fist fight tonight pal. "Trade Mon..." gotdammit.

Wednesday. Me n Charlotte vs you and...well the Mrs. wouldn't suggest we trade Monty, would she? If so, mixed tag team match ahoy!

@PSLguy give him the big boot and Stone Cold Stunner please and thank you.

I agree with you CH, trading Monty is a bit premature. Just get used to the Bob-Mon duo, everyting be irie.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL

Unfortunately the wife threw her back out yesterday and we won't be there tonight.

I like how you said Wednesday, when there's no game!

Last edited:

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Goaltending is the most fickle position in all of sports. You have to strike while the iron is hot.

This is the best offense in the history of this team. Don't worry about a career backup goaltender when we need someone who can play now. If Monty is so damn good he will play himself into the position, but you can't hope and pray for that to happen.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Unfortunately the wife threw her back out yesterday and we won't be there tonight.

I like how you said Wednesday, when there's no game!
Naturally why would I schedule a top tier no hold barred wrasslin match during a hockey game we both have to go to?

I hope she feels better, she wouldn't suggest such a thing...and now we have @JonathanHuberdoh calling him a career backup??? Oh he's def in Mrs. @PSLguy 's place. Me and the 5 yr old...we're coming for yas and I'm not the one to fear.

Lu looked real damn great tonight. Like a top 3 all time winning NHL goaltender.

Monty & Lu for 2019-2020!

Reactions: PSLguy

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Goaltending is the most fickle position in all of sports. You have to strike while the iron is hot.

This is the best offense in the history of this team. Don't worry about a career backup goaltender when we need someone who can play now. If Monty is so damn good he will play himself into the position, but you can't hope and pray for that to happen.
True statement, that opening line!

I notice you did not say best defense in the history of this team...(not counting the 96 team, when Garrison Weaver Ballard were on the team? lol anyway...)

And play himself into the position he shall. Already started to. Caught someone in the fanatics shop today lookin to drop a shit(you choose) load of money on a bunch of his stuff tonight as he sat on the bench, and he was far from the only one I overheard talking about him tonight...why do you suppose that is?

Sam can play now. He can play yesterday. He can play tomorrow.

I don't hope and pray for it, and I've been most sure of it my OG.

article_post_width_paul_heyman.jpg

Reactions: PSLguy

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
"Except favoritism and being a fan"?

How about a quarter century of playing and living this **** and knowing what I'm looking at?

Yeah there's that.

Like I just walked in and decided - "ok he's the best and I'll take him over anyone that isn't Hank because i hope that's how good he'll be because I like his (name, face, or whatever else I had yet to know as i made my assessment)"

Kid's gifted like nobody I've seen.

...and another thing I'm suprised and disappointed in you- what you're using to compare the goalies above, and with that- you're right, there's no comparisons to be made there. What does Hart's junior numbers have anything to do with Sam's AHL numbers?

Mont does look very composed and smooth out there for how little he has played. I am excited about his future ( hopefully with FL).

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Many scenarios that could happen for us in goal between now and start of 2019-20 season. These are the 2 best cases for next season. If I were DT I think

Scenario 1:
Sign Bob(#1 goalie)
Luongo stays backup role(plays 20-25games)
Monty in A to refine his game and dominate(call up role if needed). Full time backup next season. Split time like Blues goalies(2 starters) did after that.
Reimer gone.

Scenario 2:
Sign another #1 goalie(not of Bob caliber)
Monty backup(plays 25-30games).
Luongo retires
Reimer gone.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Well we know who's house to burn down if management throws Monty in as the starter next year.
Fine, but what do I get when it's not a failure and he plays himself into the ASG this year?

..one of the two guys I initially compared him to only didn't make the ASG his rookie year because he was too busy winning a gold medal :)

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Many scenarios that could happen for us in goal between now and start of 2019-20 season. These are the 2 best cases for next season. If I were DT I think

Scenario 1:
Sign Bob(#1 goalie)
Luongo stays backup role(plays 20-25games)
Monty in A to refine his game and dominate(call up role if needed). Full time backup next season. Split time like Blues goalies(2 starters) did after that.
Reimer gone.

Scenario 2:
Sign another #1 goalie(not of Bob caliber)
Monty backup(plays 25-30games).
Luongo retires
Reimer gone.
I'm under the impression that this team is not spending what it should take to get Bob while Luongo is still on the books.
Especially if Reimer isn't traded. Or even bought out. Even if tho...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Exactly. And I still don't get the problem. Pittsburgh has murray and DeSmith. San Jose has Jones and Dell. Nashville has Rinne and Saros. Lots of teams have a veteran and a youngster. You need two quality goalies to win these days. Plus, you never know what is going to happen. I'd rather be in a position of strength than a position of weakness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->