Player Discussion: Samuel Montembeault

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
BBUyhO3.img

Here's a picture that tells enough about this season, and who's the other d-man there with the ccm gear letting Foligno stand on top of Monty unmanned?
usatsi12309791.jpg

Stalker makes the PD thread! (thx @ThePatientPanther :eyeroll:)
In the past few weeks we have seen a little bit better of a sample size for judgement than many realize:

Not only have we seen the difference in play between our Rookie, Middle-Ager, and top 3 all time winning soon to be HOF goalie, but we have seen the goalies they faced on the other side. They include Jonathan Quick, Carey Price, Tukka Rask, John Gibson, Martin Jones, Jaroslav Halak...and watching them, how they move, how they face the shooters, HOW MUCH HELP THEY DO OR DON'T HAVE and how they all deal with their unique individual situations, etc.

So here's my questions for all who have been watching:
-How do you think Sammy looked compared to his colleagues and counterparts?
-Do you or do you not think he looks ready for NHL action, and why?
-To start Springfield, NHL Back-up, or NHL starter?

Discuss!

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
1. I think he's looked ok so far in a limited sample. Hard for me to say when this team can have bipolar defensive efforts or blunders(Matheson).
2. Could be ready for a backup role next year, but just don't give him the #2 spot. Competition
3. I still think they need to ship off Reimer to Mars, Luongo to retire in some manor and then acquire a #1 goalie. Whether it be Commie Bob or another goalie in a trade. If they do get Bob then it would be best for SM to ride the busses next year to get more playing ti,e.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I think monty has looked really good. He could potentially take over the number 1 spot in the future, he has what it takes, especially in the mental side. I've also been super impressed with his puck handling skills, really adds another dimension our team.

All that being said, I'm not comfortable with him as the primary goalie next season. Maybe if we weren't in this do or die mode, I'd be less reluctant, but we really can't afford another lost season. What if monty is the guy and lu us the back up, and monty gets hurt? Even if he can handle number 1 duties that is not a risk I'm willing to take.

I want us to sign a 2-3 year stop gap or sign bob without a nmc/ntc. Then in a year or two after monty has gained more experience and we aren't in such a desperate situation, he can come in and take over.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He’s quick, athletic, and shows promise. I hope both Reimer and Lou are gone and he’s the backup. If we can get a real #1, a new vet goalie, and Monty as the #3, that’s fine too

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
He's going to be a good goalie one day, a starting goalie, but we can't rush it. We still need a goalie. The really unfortunate part is that Luongo needs to be pushed out, we should go into next year with a new goalie and Monty as backup.

Reactions: PSLguy

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
If he isnt the starter next year which he shouldn't be I'd rather him be a starter in the AHL and get as much game time experience as possible.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Any good goalie plugged into this team would look like monty.. Games of greatness and games of 5 goals against.. That is our makeup...

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I’d say give him one last year in the A with callups and then call him up the year after as backup. Kid has the goods. Just needs some refinement.

Last edited:
Reactions: harv33173

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Best case scenario would be him playing another year in the AHL with few callups here and there when needed. And then, I think that he could be our #2, a solid #2.

I'm not an expert, and certainly not a goalie expert. But from what I've seen so far, nothing indicates me that he has the potential to be a solid #1 goalie.

I think we all got a little bit too excited about him after his first games. He sure looked like Vezina winner compared to Reimer and Luongo. But I think that any other average goalie could have done what he's done during that short period of time.

He's been good, but that's it. Nothing to write home about.

Good thing he seen NHL action. Now he needs to be "dominant" in the AHL next year.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
With the good outweighing the bad by such a wide margin, they have to let him compete for the job and show they have the confidence that he should have in himself.

Carey Price came of age when they cut Halak, who was most arguably better than Carey for them at the time.

Sammy has such a skill set and he's aggressive on the puck, obviously flexible, agile and mobile as hell. And he can handle the puck and fire hard passes up the ice. Already better than any goalie we have had to no surprise.

@sinDer @Pumaconcolorcoryi @PSLguy @ThePatientPanther we've seen it in every game he's played, no matter the outcome. He battles the same no matter what, after a cheap/shitty goal or whatever. We've seen him make saves nobody else available other than Bobrovsky would make(and what's that saying??)...and think of this- as we JUST now got officially eliminated- if Matheson alone wasn't playing in California or after, and in turn we didn't lose the games with the goals he was the cause of for the millionth time- we're talking about miracles and asshairs and squeaking into the playoffs and he's the guy forever and always(as I maintain LOL). Maybe just the same- if it weren't for Matheson, nobody would be complaining half as much about Reimer or Lu and we never would've seen Monty in the first place so damn it anyway.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Irrelevant.

He could have gotten a shutout every single game or 15 games and I still would say it isnt enough data. Anyone can get hot and it doesnt prove anything for or against him.

Reactions: sinDer

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@CHGoalie27

Most of the Stanley Cup winning goalies of the last 10-15 years average 58 games. That's 24 games for Monty next year if he shows improvement. Dont know why we can't have 2 good goalies in net? Bob and Monty is a good duo in theory and Lu is the safety net/LTIR option as backup for a year.

Dont think having Monty be the starter is worth the risk in a year where our 3-4 year window should be wide open. We cant afford another what if season imo. Go all in, just like CBJ did but at least we will have 4-5 solid attempts at the Cup. 6 years for Bob wont block Monty. If he's a true #1, he can take over year 3-4 into the Bob contract and who knows how good we can be with depth at every position.

He has the skill and size but let him prove it and be insulated with a great mentor and better defense to ease the load.

Reactions: BeezKnees

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@CHGoalie27

Most of the Stanley Cup winning goalies of the last 10-15 years average 58 games. That's 24 games for Monty next year if he shows improvement. Dont know why we can't have 2 good goalies in net? Bob and Monty is a good duo in theory and Lu is the safety net/LTIR option as backup for a year.

Dont think having Monty be the starter is worth the risk in a year where our 3-4 year window should be wide open. We cant afford another what if season imo. Go all in, just like CBJ did but at least we will have 4-5 solid attempts at the Cup. 6 years for Bob wont block Monty. If he's a true #1, he can take over year 3-4 into the Bob contract and who knows how good we can be with depth at every position.

He has the skill and size but let him prove it and be insulated with a great mentor and better defense to ease the load.
6 years for bob absolutely blocks Monty.

Watching him against every other goalie we've seen says he's at least as ready...and a hell of a lot more able than most.

I'm watching Carter Hart right now as Philly lets him do his thing. And he is aaaawwwessome. If I'm Philly, I wouldn't let any of the other goalies play if he says he's good to go on any given day. IMO- Sammy is Hart's other side of the coin. They're both ready to deal with adversity and you know we would've seen a bit more had Monty played behind the same Matheson-less & Matheson-just-benched teams Lu just played behind the last 2 games...

I'm sorry when extra shitty circumstances in front looks to be his only flaw, nothing to do with him really, and what I feel were generally less softies than his opponents, nothing says Sam isn't ready to do what Carter Hart is allowed.

I'm so very solid on Lu not retiring, if he doesn't feel like he has to, and having him split with Sam who would ideally earn the spot in taking a few more.

And keep in mind Bob isn't coming here to split time with anyone, absolutely Bob would be in the way. And at 4 plus years, also in Bednard's way should something happen to Monty.

EDIT:..when I typed this it was during the NYR game, and Carter Hart "let in" two goals that looked very much like the Panthers goals where there were more NYR players around the PHI net, and not because Hart can't be trusted from here out.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
6 years for bob absolutely blocks Monty.

Watching him against every other goalie we've seen says he's at least as ready...and a hell of a lot more able than most.

I'm watching Carter Hart right now as Philly lets him do his thing. And he is aaaawwwessome. If I'm Philly, I wouldn't let any of the other goalies play if he says he's good to go on any given day. IMO- Sammy is Hart's other side of the coin. They're both ready to deal with adversity and you know we would've seen a bit more had Monty played behind the same Matheson-less & Matheson-just-benched teams Lu just played behind the last 2 games...

I'm sorry when extra ****ty circumstances in front looks to be his only flaw, nothing to do with him really, and what I feel were generally less softies than his opponents, nothing says Sam isn't ready to do what Carter Hart is allowed.

I'm so very solid on Lu not retiring, if he doesn't feel like he has to, and having him split with Sam who would ideally earn the spot in taking a few more.

And keep in mind Bob isn't coming here to split time with anyone, absolutely Bob would be in the way. And at 4 plus years, also in Bednard's way should something happen to Monty.

EDIT:..when I typed this it was during the NYR game, and Carter Hart "let in" two goals that looked very much like the Panthers goals where there were more NYR players around the PHI net, and not because Hart can't be trusted from here out.

Bob just posted his 3rd shutout (38 saves) in his last 5 games. Only 4 goals against over that span. I'm going with proven results over the young rookie. You or Montembeault ain't gonna change my mind these next 3 games.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’m with CHG that Monty’s got the skill and athleticism to pull it off. And he plays the puck better than any goalie we’ve had. That’s huge for defense, especially the Pysyk and Matheson types who need the extra time to not screw up.

But I’m also with those who say not yet next year. The reason being simply physical load. I’m worried about Monty being able to handle 50-60 games. I think he’s a year or maximum two away from that.

But in order for him to get there he needs to get 30+ games next season. This isn’t compatible with Bob being around. Or it’s marginally possible....if Bob did 60 and Monty did 22 and Lu was LTIR, it might just work out for up to two years...but Bob won’t go for a 3-4-year deal.

So the uncomfortable truth is that DT will need to make a choice between Bob and Monty. I would choose Monty, add the best 2-year option for g that you can find, and rotate through him, Monty and Lu next year. And use the Bob money to get Panarin and a D.

Reactions: Beezer

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Carter Hart has been playing since December?

Monty has been playing since just recently.

Hart had insane numbers in Junior.

Monty had meh numbers in the AHL.

There is no comparison to be made besides favoritism. He cant be the starter next year. Nothing should change your mind except favoritism and being a fan.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
We can’t worry about how far Monty is from being a steady NHLer. If you have a shot at bringing in a proven starter that can still perform for at least 4-6 years, you do it IMO. You can’t sit here and throw around all these hypotheticals about MAYBE Monty being ready in another year or two and go out and do nothing to improve the goaltending. If he pans out and ends up being a solid backup for Bob or whoever then great. If he ends up being a starter and for whatever reason we have to make some moves then you deal with it at that time. Lots of teams end up having solid backups that are “stuck” behind a proven #1...it’s a good problem to have and we’ll be fortunate to be in that situation.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Carter Hart has been playing since December?

Monty has been playing since just recently.

Hart had insane numbers in Junior.

Monty had meh numbers in the AHL.

There is no comparison to be made besides favoritism. He cant be the starter next year. Nothing should change your mind except favoritism and being a fan.
"Except favoritism and being a fan"?

How about a quarter century of playing and living this shit and knowing what I'm looking at?

Yeah there's that.

Like I just walked in and decided - "ok he's the best and I'll take him over anyone that isn't Hank because i hope that's how good he'll be because I like his (name, face, or whatever else I had yet to know as i made my assessment)"

Kid's gifted like nobody I've seen.

...and another thing I'm suprised and disappointed in you- what you're using to compare the goalies above, and with that- you're right, there's no comparisons to be made there. What does Hart's junior numbers have anything to do with Sam's AHL numbers?

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Stop comparing him to Carter Hart. Monty needs more time.
Well, no, you see- Carter Hart is younger than Monty, and while many like to generalize and lump things like stats, they also like to pick and choose when individuality should come into play. Sounds fair, right?

When the man recently says himself that it would be hard to go back to AHL, I find it hard to believe he isn't ready to play in the NHL based on god knows what.

I will continue to compare Hart and Monty, hopefully for years to come because they are comin in at the same time, and they look to me to be the two best up and coming goalies to lead the next generation.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
"Except favoritism and being a fan"?

How about a quarter century of playing and living this **** and knowing what I'm looking at?

Yeah there's that.

Like I just walked in and decided - "ok he's the best and I'll take him over anyone that isn't Hank because i hope that's how good he'll be because I like his (name, face, or whatever else I had yet to know as i made my assessment)"

Kid's gifted like nobody I've seen.

...and another thing I'm suprised and disappointed in you- what you're using to compare the goalies above, and with that- you're right, there's no comparisons to be made there. What does Hart's junior numbers have anything to do with Sam's AHL numbers?

Nothing.

But Montys junior numbers arent any better.

Hart ended the last 2 years a sub 2 GAA and a really high save percentage. Hart didnt play enough AHL games to be a comparison.

One could get encouraged to play someone who is posting amazing numbers vs someone who isn't. Its just natural human behavior.

The kid could be as gifted as can be to your eyes, but eye test doesnt get you a starting job in the NHL. Especially less than 10 complete games of eye test.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
We can’t worry about how far Monty is from being a steady NHLer. If you have a shot at bringing in a proven starter that can still perform for at least 4-6 years, you do it IMO. You can’t sit here and throw around all these hypotheticals about MAYBE Monty being ready in another year or two and go out and do nothing to improve the goaltending. If he pans out and ends up being a solid backup for Bob or whoever then great. If he ends up being a starter and for whatever reason we have to make some moves then you deal with it at that time. Lots of teams end up having solid backups that are “stuck” behind a proven #1...it’s a good problem to have and we’ll be fortunate to be in that situation.
What do you mean “you can’t”? I sure can. I did, in fact.

In the neighborhood of $10M/year to get a goalie for long term and block your possible future star goalie? Heck yeah, DT should think about it.

One can be flippant about it, but one shouldn’t be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->