Player Discussion: Martin Jones

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
That sounds about right to me... best series was with Colorado. Best and worst game was the Las Vegas series. Colorado has minimum scoring threats. So Jones did not have a constant, come at him opponent. Oddly, neither does StL, but not to the extend of Colorado.

I thought the best team the Sharks faced in this playoffs was Las Vegas.

I have doubts going this direction. Looking at the past, Jones has done his best work when he had a legitimate backup goaltender that can take over his job. That was Reimer. Apparently, Jones needs incentive to keep his performance up.
Screw that. Waive Dell, tell Jones in no uncertain terms he IS the backup until his contract runs out and bring up anyone else. Really, anyone. This team is going nowhere but slowly down hill. If the call up isn't very good, no great loss. But maybe they'll find someone so energized by the opportunity they've been given the'll be dynamite.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
i'm not sure what you think this proves. think about it.

I don't think it proves what you think it does. Even if they're worse defensive teams, the Sharks are comparable in what they give up. It's not a formula for success to give up that many opportunities of that type.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Dell's gotta go

Jones' contract gives the team no choice but to go with him unless a superstar falls into their lap

So they should probably play a bit more committed to defense from day 1 next year and they might be ok

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I don't think it proves what you think it does. Even if they're worse defensive teams, the Sharks are comparable in what they give up. It's not a formula for success to give up that many opportunities of that type.
The sharks almost made the SCF with that style. So ... no?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If the Sharks get a shot at a Brodeur in the first round, then great. Otherwise, stay away.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

The style they had in the regular season and the playoffs were much much different.

Sorry i will rephrase this. The style they had after game 4 of the playoffs was much much different.

Reactions: PackShark

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The style they had in the regular season and the playoffs were much much different.

Sorry i will rephrase this. The style they had after game 4 of the playoffs was much much different.
There was a shift after game 4 of the Vegas series but by Colorado it was back to what it was. In the end the results were very similar to the regular season. The issue was that our chances going back the other way weren't nearly good enough and a lot of that is on an ineffective Karlsson.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

And it cost them the Cup because it was that style that forced them to go 7 with Vegas and to a lesser extent with Colorado and killed them against St. Louis so yes. Just because they almost made it to the Finals in spite of it doesn't mean it was good for them. It wasn't. This isn't that hard to understand.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
And it cost them the Cup because it was that style that forced them to go 7 with Vegas and to a lesser extent with Colorado and killed them against St. Louis so yes. Just because they almost made it to the Finals in spite of it doesn't mean it was good for them. It wasn't. This isn't that hard to understand.
I'd say health was the primary reason, but Jones was another big reason, and, as the data show, other goalies fared better even with similarly or more suspect defenses.
When it comes down to it we are in no way the worst defense in the league even with our high risk system, there are actually defenses with poor talent that get beat on every night. Yet the goalies do better. So Jones doesn't get a pass in any way for his performance this year.

Reactions: Bleedred

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd say health was the primary reason, but Jones was another big reason, and, as the data show, other goalies fared better even with similarly or more suspect defenses.
When it comes down to it we are in no way the worst defense in the league even with our high risk system, there are actually defenses with poor talent that get beat on every night. Yet the goalies do better. So Jones doesn't get a pass in any way for his performance this year.

You do understand that if you accept that their defense was similar to other suspect defenses and you accept that Jones isn't as good as those other goalies that the defense is the reason why their goalie got exposed. We don't need to be the worst defense to have our average level goalie be exposed by it. Even teams with poor talent that have sound defensive structure will make their goalies who may or may not be better at their position look better because of it. This team's problem is not simply that they play a high risk style. It's that they don't have the forward talent to consistently cover for highly aggressive d-man play and they don't have great defensive structure to begin with.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Martin Jones will be our starting goaltender in the 2019-2020 season. FULL STOP. You know it's true, stop thinking they won't come out with some statement about "believing in him" blah blah blah... (Translation: He's under a pretty immovable contract and his trade value is as low as could be.)

/thread

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Martin Jones will be our starting goaltender in the 2019-2020 season. FULL STOP. You know it's true, stop thinking they won't come out with some statement about "believing in him" blah blah blah... (Translation: He's under a pretty immovable contract and his trade value is as low as could be.)

/thread

I wish in the expansion draft there was an option to protect an extra skater rather than protecting a goalie. Expose all the goalies.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Yes, Jones degraded in form in the WCF. His streak he had in the 2nd part of the 1st round didn't hold up.

However, everyone blames health when they didn't go as far as they wanted in the playoffs. It's the perennial excuse.

Don't think so? Visit the playoff threads for the other teams here on HFBoard that are not playing right now.

The other reason is this seemed like one of the more physical playoffs in a while. It use to be the Kings would exploit the unwillingness of the refs to blow the whistle in the playoffs, but this season it's every team the Sharks went against. Including the Avs.

Sharks are not really built for the style of play, nor coached for it. The Haley acquisition wasn't effective at equalizing this aspect of the Sharks' game.

The two physical players, Kane and Burns, couldn't equalize it either. Kane's role as a leading scoring winger is wrong. He's kept off the ice, and into the box too much. Burns never really played physical even though he could have laid out the Avs on multiple occasions. The Avs players tend to use their speed as a defense for not keeping their head up all the time.

But the real issue is that the players with the role for playing physical don't. Dillon is worthless as the big, bottom pairing defender in this regard. Ryan, Heed, and the other new guys are not physical players in the NHL yet. Simek is but was on IR due to a freak knee injury.

So in the end, we see the Blues and Bruins in the SCF. Two physical teams. The Blues turned their season around with physical play. They started head-hunting with head shots in the grey area. When that line is crossed, they don't get called on it. The only exception is against the Bruins.

This only happens because the NHL is not serious about head injuries, CTE, and future lawsuits. The owners only know money and profits. They won't react to the problem in earnest until they lose significantly in court.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Whoever that coach was should be fired. Jones didn't look good by any stretch of the imagination. He constantly got lost in his own net

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
Yeah, Jones was bad last year but I want to see him in 10 - 20 games before I'm ready to cash in. Dell on the other hand gets a super short leash. Mainly because he should be better and more consistent as his history would indicate. This new Dell needs to come around or GTFO.

The real question is about Shortridge, Bibeau, Korenar; are any of them back up material, or are they all earmarked for starter positions?

Reactions: teddygmr

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Remember in Jones' first game as a shark he surrendered a goal on his first shot, and then had like 2 straight shutouts? Maybe that can be expanded the that macro level, where last year was the "score on the first shot" Jones and this year is "2 straight shutout" Jones.

One can wish and dream

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, Jones was bad last year but I want to see him in 10 - 20 games before I'm ready to cash in. Dell on the other hand gets a super short leash. Mainly because he should be better and more consistent as his history would indicate. This new Dell needs to come around or GTFO.

The real question is about Shortridge, Bibeau, Korenar; are any of them back up material, or are they all earmarked for starter positions?
I think trading away Bibeau clears the way for more starts for Shortridge and Korenar and it will be interesting to see who wins the AHL starter job. I like Shortridge's size and resume. How did these two compare in Camp and pre-season games?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
All I know is that if Jones' turns in a regular season performance like the last one without winning the cup, the wolves are coming out for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad