Player Discussion: Kevin Labanc

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
They have a ton of guys that might have third line potential. Labanc easily has top 6 potential. Why does Labanc have to prove things while the prospects don’t?

Because for 1 the prospects will not be costing the team upwards of 4 million dollars a year on potential.

Keeping labanc is taking a chance that his potential is never reached but also at the same time forced to play him anyways in the top 6 due to contracts. Or you have a 4 mil a year 3rd liner.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Because for 1 the prospects will not be costing the team upwards of 4 million dollars a year on potential.

Keeping labanc is taking a chance that his potential is never reached but also at the same time forced to play him anyways in the top 6 due to contracts. Or you have a 4 mil a year 3rd liner.
So who do you suggest we give the chance to? There is not a single prospect in our system that would fill Labanc’s role right now.

Labanc isn’t even a third liner now. At worst he’s a tweener which 4M is exactly what you pay for them.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So who do you suggest we give the chance to? There is not a single prospect in our system that would fill Labanc’s role right now.

Labanc isn’t even a third liner now. At worst he’s a tweener which 4M is exactly what you pay for them.

Just because he some times plays on the 2nd line of the sharks does not make him a tweener. He gets absolutely destroyed in the top 6, which means he can't handle the top 6 which means he is not a tweener. A tweener can at the least hold there own for small parts but labanc can't even do that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Just because he some times plays on the 2nd line of the sharks does not make him a tweener. He gets absolutely destroyed in the top 6, which means he can't handle the top 6 which means he is not a tweener. A tweener can at the least hold there own for small parts but labanc can't even do that.
And our prospects can? I love how you answer one part of the post but not the most important part. We don't even have prospects that have proven to be able to handle top 6 AHL minutes.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
And our prospects can? I love how you answer one part of the post but not the most important part. We don't even have prospects that have proven to be able to handle top 6 AHL minutes.

And those 2 things have nothing to do with each other. You just don't pay a player like labanc 4 million dollars for a role that he can't even fill in for.

Its just another melker karlsson situation where you are paying a player more then his roster spot warrants just because there is nobody else.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
And those 2 things have nothing to do with each other. You just don't pay a player like labanc 4 million dollars for a role that he can't even fill in for.

Its just another melker karlsson situation where you are paying a player more then his roster spot warrants just because there is nobody else.
So basically you want to throw someone into the deep end and hope they know how to swim.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Kevin is still young. And with strong line mates he can handle top six time. We don’t know how much he’s going to make, it may be a very fair deal

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Kevin is still young. And with strong line mates he can handle top six time. We don’t know how much he’s going to make, it may be a very fair deal
Something front loaded like 6, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 = 3.75 AVV x 8 ? Easily trade to Ottawa later in contract.

Reactions: themelkman

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
They have a ton of guys that might have third line potential. Labanc easily has top 6 potential. Why does Labanc have to prove things while the prospects don’t?
He has already proved himself unable to consistently play responsibly enough to be a top 6 player. Top 6 potential means nothing if it's never realized. This team as constructed can't pay him $3+ mil per year. His chance to prove he could move the needle was this year. If anything he's proven that he's a follower not a leader when it comes to offense. Put him with good player who are playing well and he can contribute, but if those players falter he's not the kind of player to pick up the slack. If they have to pay him $3+ mil per season I would rather they spend 5 or 6 and get a player who can actually carry their own weight on the top 6. Yes, I know that means creating space some how but I think that's a forgone conclusion at this point. There will be at least one more move to dump salary on this team before next season. Labanc may end up being a much better player in a couple years but this team needs someone for the top 6 now, they can't wait for him any longer. Now if he signs for $2mil or less, sure keep him and play him on the 3rd line and 2nd PP. The problem is that even when it looks like he's trying hard he doesn't seem to move the needle. Jeez Gregor already surpassed him in the coaching staffs eyes to play in the top 6. That disparity will only grow as Gregor gets more games under his belt. I get that College kid surpasses him in camp too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggae Shark

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
DW is the master of spin. He'd convince everyone that it's a good deal and we should all, including Hasso, like it. :)
I don't see it happening. He's far more likely to get traded than get that kind of a pay day. I don't see him wanting to sign for that long anyway unless it's a massive overpayment which DW is no position cap wise to do. There is already talk that 3rd and 4th line guys are going to feel a major pinch this offseason due to the finances of the league and the flat cap.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't necessarily disagree with him. Labanc is clearly the better player at the moment but Gregor has got all the hustle a coach would want from a young player. Labanc hasn't really done much of what was expected from him this year.

Yet the coaching staff is frequently healthy scratching Gregor, sending him back down to the minors, and playing him for an average of 6 fewer minutes than Labanc in the games that he does play...

Reactions: Patty Ice

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yet the coaching staff is frequently healthy scratching Gregor, sending him back down to the minors, and playing him for an average of 6 fewer minutes than Labanc in the games that he does play...
Maybe earlier in the year but not later. Sure seemed like he kept playing higher in the lineup than Labanc toward the end of the season. The only place that Labanc seemed to be useful was on Jumbos wing. Gregor will have inconsistencies as he learns to play at the NHL level but when he's on he's going to be trusted a lot more than Labanc just due to his internal motor and 2 way game. I'll be shocked if one or 2 other prospects don't outplay him next season if he's still on the Sharks. He's a nice complimentary player when things are going well but he doesn't have it in him to right the ship when it's not. A once in a lifetime PP doesn't make a guy a top 6 player. This is just my opinion of him. He had a great offensive year in 2018-2019 when everyone else was rolling too. Feel free to disagree. I just don't think he's got the head to take advantage of his abilities. I like him a lot and wish he would become what his talent hints at, but when he's interviewed I feel maybe he's not very bright. He plays well offensively (when engaged) with high end players but doesn't always compete defensively, and he can't be "the man" on a lower line and carry lesser players offensively against easier competition. He's a rental guy you trade for at the deadline for depth scoring, not someone you build into your top 6 as a long term solution for a contender.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Eagle

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
He's not a surefire top 6 player yet, but he's 24 and a late pick to boot, he's still early in his evolution as a player. I agree he shouldn't be paid as a top 6 guy now, but I'm not convinced he can't develop into that player as early as next year.

I also think he can be a much, much better power play asset than he showed this year.

I'd like to see a third line of Leonard, Thornton, and Vlasic with Marleau, Gregor, and Noesen/prospect on the fourth. The question is how do you get two other top 6 wings and a viable starter/platoon on a flat cap ?Two of a trade, a donskoi-esque find, Labanc taking a full step and/or a prospect proving to be a quality middle six guy pretty much need to occur.

Normally, I'd buyout Jones in a heartbeat, but with only $2.9M saved we might be better off praying he can get back to being league average. Age, new coaching, and rest are still on his side, but man he's looked horrifying the past 2 years...

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He's not a surefire top 6 player yet, but he's 24 and a late pick to boot, he's still early in his evolution as a player. I agree he shouldn't be paid as a top 6 guy now, but I'm not convinced he can't develop into that player as early as next year.

I also think he can be a much, much better power play asset than he showed this year.

I'd like to see a third line of Leonard, Thornton, and Vlasic with Marleau, Gregor, and Noesen/prospect on the fourth. The question is how do you get two other top 6 wings and a viable starter/platoon on a flat cap ?Two of a trade, a donskoi-esque find, Labanc taking a full step and/or a prospect proving to be a quality middle six guy pretty much need to occur.

Normally, I'd buyout Jones in a heartbeat, but with only $2.9M saved we might be better off praying he can get back to being league average. Age, new coaching, and rest are still on his side, but man he's looked horrifying the past 2 years...
He was a late pick for a reason despite all his offensive ability. The fact he's done this well is a miracle in and of itself. This all hinges on moving out a big contract though so we'll have to see. Maybe in the end they can afford Labanc at 3mil but theres no way they should pay him anymore than that even with unlimited cap space. I liked Noesen but unless he signs for super cheap there's no way the Sharks can bring him back with all their other needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nolan11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad