Player Discussion: Kevin Labanc

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Never said he wasn't getting better, but his problems have typically been turnovers, defensive responsibility and the will and/or strength to win 1 on 1 battles. Those are things that are based in effort and attention to detail. His production on the PP is his most natural contribution because he doesn't really have to worry about any of that. His increased production at 5 on 5 has coincided with playing with Jumbo and in kind, Jumbo getting his game back. That line didn't look near as good 15-20 games ago... So your number of games that Lebank has looked better coincidentally coincides with Jumbos improved play. So Like I said, HOF centerman helps his game. Also there was a recent article about how Jumbo is always in his ear. I doubt it's a made up point, and I bet it's a major factor to his improved effort and attention to detail. PDB would have just put him on the 4th line instead of trying to get him to play the right way yet again

I mean in a nutshell: Thornton is playing great and Lebanc has played well enough to support Thornton’s great play. He’s playing better in all three zones and putting up points like a second line winger in 3rd line minutes... yeah I can agree with all that. I mean Jumbo being in his ear, I don’t know, is that somehow a knock on Lebanc that he has the smarts to listen? In any case my main point is: don’t trade Lebanc, he’s gonna get better.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
My frustrations with Labanc are mostly on the breakout, where he rarely seems to make the right play or advance the puck. While his split second decision-making still isn't quite there, he is still improving pretty steadily.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I may have not been clear... After Lebank has it figured it out and is no longer a defensive liability... It was more a long term idea of where he should play, probably not this season.
"Maybe next season he will finally arrive at that level. If he does (and remembers he has an elite shot), I think he can be almost a PPG player for a few seasons. Needs more bulk too."

Although if Hertl can carry Donskoi they way he has over the past month or so you gotta believe that Hertl and Meier can carry Lebank assuming he's putting in an honest effort every shift.

I might be late to the party but is there a reason why you misspell his name?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I mean in a nutshell: Thornton is playing great and Lebanc has played well enough to support Thornton’s great play. He’s playing better in all three zones and putting up points like a second line winger in 3rd line minutes... yeah I can agree with all that. I mean Jumbo being in his ear, I don’t know, is that somehow a knock on Lebanc that he has the smarts to listen? In any case my main point is: don’t trade Lebanc, he’s gonna get better.
Dude you totally made up your own argument to win... No one said trade him in this thread that I saw. For sure not me. I even specifically said I'm glad they kept him. I also specifically suggest he may get good enough next year to play on the 1st line with Hertl. So we're in agreement as far as potential. But if you don't think playing with Jumbo has helped keep him focused on the small details that keep him out of PDB's dog house then I don't know what to tell you. Read more press and interviews with the team and you'll have the same knowledge I do.

Just today, there is an article pondering if Jumbo is the best 3rd line center in the western conference. Tough to argue against that the way he's playing. Better than some teams #2 centers right now I would bet. He's not just putting up points, he's controlling play when he's out there. Frankly he's been better than Couture for almost a month IMO. That definitely benefits Lebank.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I really want to pay for the athletic, it really is good. But then I think about other things I should be using the money for rather than reading about sports.

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
It's a cup of coffee. *shakes head*

Yeah but without coffee I can’t work, if I can’t work I don’t get paid, if I don’t get paid I can’t pay my bills, if I can’t pay my bills I’m homeless, if I’m homeless I’ll end up fighting other bums for the amusement of rich people.

So I mean yeah. Paying for the athletic can lead down a nasty road.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah but without coffee I can’t work, if I can’t work I don’t get paid, if I don’t get paid I can’t pay my bills, if I can’t pay my bills I’m homeless, if I’m homeless I’ll end up fighting other bums for the amusement of rich people.

Good point?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Just get free coffee from work like I do. It tastes terrible but it's the sacrifice I make to afford this world class subscription.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
i agree. but i sort of feel like i should pay for a real news site first.

Meh, actual news shouldn't cost money. I'd rather they just use ads for revenue for these more niche articles that aren't just plain reporting, but there obviously ways around that, so I get why they charge.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Just get free coffee from work like I do. It tastes terrible but it's the sacrifice I make to afford this world class subscription.

giphy.gif

Reactions: CrazedZooChimp

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Meh, actual news shouldn't cost money. I'd rather they just use ads for revenue for these more niche articles that aren't just plain reporting, but there obviously ways around that, so I get why they charge.
sorry but real news costs money to gather and report. it's a huge symptom of our society's problems that people are more willing to pay for sports news, trinkets, and tickets than actual news reporting.
That's as far as I'll go with that rant.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
sorry but real news costs money to gather and report. it's a huge symptom of our society's problems that people are more willing to pay for sports news, trinkets, and tickets than actual news reporting.
That's as far as I'll go with that rant.

Meh, I think unbiased, fact-based knowledge of world events should be a public service, but that's a debate for another day.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Meh, I think unbiased, fact-based knowledge of world events should be a public service, but that's a debate for another day.
I would agree but it isn't going to get produced for free. One way or another there needs to be a funding mechanism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad