Player Discussion: Erik Gudbranson | Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Good for you. Like I said, some of you are impressed by "zomg big hit against the boards." Someone in this thread used the Boston game as an example of something Gudbranson does that this team apparently needs. Doesn't mean what he does contributes to wins.

You apparently think a one dimensional defensive defenseman who doesn't suppress shot attempts or scoring chances against, who can't get the puck out of his own zone is good. I expect better. Difference in values I guess.
That's weak and childish.

I used a game in which he was wrongfully blamed for 2 goals against and a game that WTG posted zone exit stats to support the narrative he was terrible. The narrative and stats were flawed arguments, just like your Andrew Alberts comp and assertions about this player to date.

Oh well

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
That's weak and childish.

I used a game in which he was wrongfully blamed for 2 goals against and a game that WTG posted zone exit stats to support the narrative he was terrible. The narrative and stats were flawed arguments, just like your Andrew Alberts comp and assertions about this player to date.

Oh well

If he's on the ice for goals that he isn't responsible for then in the end stats that will come down to either a low PDO stat or a low on-ice save percentage, and in the end he will be on the ice for goals where he had little to no impact for. So, in the end all those goals/for against will balance out.

Right now Gudbranson's on-ice shooting percentage is way too low, and he will eventually be on the ice for more goals. Just statistically speaking.
On the flippy-flop, he will also be on the ice for a whole lot more goals. He's been getting lucky in regards of goaltenders SV%.

When Gudbranson is on the ice 5-on-5, his goaltenders have a 95.89 save percentage, highest on the team, 11th highest in the league for defenseman that have played 100 minutes so far. (defenseman only)
When Gudbranson is on the ice 5-on-5, his teammates are shooting on 3.92 shooting percentage, lowest on the team, 10 lowest in the league for defenseman that have played 100 minutes so far.

Now adding on-ice shooting percentage and on-ice save percentage together you get a PDO stat, which is the luck stat. Anything below 100 is considered that the player is just unlucky, anything above it is considered lucky. Gudbranson's PDO is 0.998, so he is slightly unlucky.

All these stats will balance out, and Gudbranson will probably end up of .923 ish. Maybe even lower considering how low his shooting percentage is.

All in all, it's save to say that Gudbranson is going to get scored on a whole lot more.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gudbranson was at his best in Florida when he was paired with an offensive, skating d-man like Brian Campbell.....I've actually like that pairing with Del Zotto in VanCity.....he's no Brian Campbell but still adept at skating the puck out and joining the rush.....I think they've been decent for the Canucks, but hope they can hold up until Edler and Stecher get back.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Took a quick superficial look at the numbers from WTG... and oh my goodness..

Alright, let's look at all of Gudbransons stats as a player this year. To make sure I'm not "cherrypicking statistics." Let's look at all of it. I'll write it out for you and tell you where he ranks relative towards his team.

General statitstics:
41.5 CF% worst on the team, relatively CF% -10.73 <------ seriously awful
148 CA.. second highest on the team... Del Zotto leads with 166 CA. On his heals - Hutton, Horvat, Baertschi and then Tanev with 120.
104 CF... 5th highest on the team... surprising. Ahead of him - Del Zotto, Hutton, Tanev, Baertschi... Wait.. what.. weird... what does that actually tell us about these players here?

40 GF% worst on the team again,
2 goals for... lowest on the team.. ok.
3 goals against! Least among D, Horvat, Gagner, Virtanen with less overall. That 5 total goal sample (2 for and 3 against). Also lowest on the team... Seems like a good thing for defensive dman on a team giving up the 2nd least amount of shots/game... for context.. The highest GF on D are Tanev 13, and Hutton 9.. Highest GA... Del Zotto 8, Tanev 6.
Gudbranson's total GF+GA is the lowest on the team at 5.... the highest is Tanev 19, 2nd is Del Zotto at 15.
Throw a % on there, Gudbranson is 40% GF% Delzotto is 46.7.. but both are a mere -1.

PDO 99.81 so actually not really getting unlucky
I thought a Shooting % of 3.92 was very low and unlucky?
His save percentage is high @ 95.89 tho... so overall appears not that unlucky... but that shooting percentage.. the next guy is 7.14.. Boeser.

Zone ratio 49.23, Gudbranson has the 2nd highest offensive to defensive zone starts on the team. Meaning he starts the 2nd most of the team in the offensive zone as a defenseman.
This one makes me laugh... not as hard as the 40% GF... but quite a bit..
Gudbranson: 32 ozone starts. 33 dzone starts. 65 total starts. Some context... he ranks 5th on the D in actual ozone starts. FIFTH.
With his 33 dzone starts... he ranks 4th on the D in d zone usage.
Context O/D: Tanev: 54/84, Del Zotto 59/69, Hutton 51/53.

Some further context... he did spend a few games sheltering Pouliot, skewing his usage and shift starts.. a lot more on the fly changes.

CF%QoT 52.85, Gudbranson has the highest QoT - CF% out of all defenseman which makes it more baffling that he is somehow that bad at possession.
TOI%QoC 29.19, 4th highest QoC/TOI% out of defenseman on the squad.
Haven't yet looked into how this site figures out quality of teammates or competition... sure as hell hope it isn't +/- like behind the net used to do... otherwise Sbisa was out highest ranking player last yr.. heh heh..

So looking at all that general data, we can take say that he gets the highest QoT/CF% out of all the defenseman, meaning he plays with our top possession players, yet he has a CF% of 41.5 which is abysmal. How you manage to do that, who the hell knows.

Is he good at keeping the puck out of the net? Nope. 3 GOALS AGAINST SUGGEST OTHERWISE
Is he just unlucky? Nope. 3.92%SHOOTING SEEMS KINDA UNLUCKY TO ME
Maybe he's starting in his own zone a bunch therefore he's getting scored on? Nope. NOR IS HE STARTING IN THE O ZONE A LOT. NOR IS ACTUALLY GETTING SCORED ON LIKE YOU ARE SPINNING.
Maybe he's being used to shutdown the opposing teams main players, their most played players. Nope. HE'S CERTAINLY SHUTTING SOMEONE DOWN WITH JUST 3 GA SO FAR

CONCLUSION... Your numbers ARE cherry picked... intentional or not... they are cherrypicked. The exclusion of the raw data as well as the failure put ANYTHING into context wreaks of BS.....

And this is great example of why % stats and rate stats are next to garbage... especially when working such small sample sizes..

My eyes haven't deceived me..... he has been good in his own zone... as we have been watching and commenting on.

People clearly still have A LOT to learn to how interpret the numbers they are reading.

The raw numbers are the raw numbers... they don't lie. After that, every thing requires to be ingested with a heavy grain of salt.

Haven't looked into the rest yet... but I already see a bunch of percentage stats used there... So I can only imagine and assume I would find more of the same...

Well, maybe he's good at transitioning.

Transition statistics for defenseman (Edler doesn't make the list, not enough TOI):
DEFENSIVE ZONE
16.22% fail on zone exits (6.11% higher then team average) 2nd worst on the team
13.33% Direct CTL zone exit% (11.4% lower then team average) worst on the team
48.43% Passing% no zone exit (1.98% higher then team average) 3rd best on the team
NEUTRAL ZONE
26.32% Carry in + Pass % (8.72% higher then team average) worst on the team
43.42% Dump in% (3.75% lower then team average) 4th on the team
6.58% Break up% (6.46% lower then team average) worst on the team

Now, looking at the transitional data we can say that his he isn't good at moving the puck out, with the 2nd worst fail% on zone exits out of all defenseman. His direct zone control exit data is also the worst on the team by a wide margin. Gudbranson does pass more then others on the blue line. 3rd best on the team. In the neutral zone, he allows the most carry ins + pass ins on the team. He forces opponents to dump it in at a OKAY rate. The guy is not breaking up many plays of players entering the zone, worst on the team in that regard.

Now let's take all that data, that I just listed. Let's take all the 13 points of data, and tell me that I cherry picked. What other statistics show that somehow he is a good defenseman? What data am I missing?

Where is the data that shows him not being a complete disaster? The only argument for Gudbranson is that somehow good, and all these data points are just false, is a completely subjective eye test. Yet, when I reference this data I get called hyperbolic? I don't understand how I'm somehow exaggerating the idea that Gudbranson is a bad defenseman, when all the data in front of me suggests that he is, all the data except for anecdotal, "eye test" data. Look I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong. But it's going to take more then "I think he played well".

I'm sorry if this comes off as combative or overtly aggressive not my intention. However, I just don't see why I'm wrong. What am I missing about this player that is so obvious to others? Even my own eye test confirm the data I'm being shown.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
thanks to dl 44 for the context.

i'd like to understand the d-zone clearance stats better. specifically, is there a stat that tracks the % of time the puck gets cleared when a player is on the ice, and then breaks it down simply into cleared with possession or cleared with loss of possession, regardless of which player actually did the clearing and how the puck got cleared?

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA

148 CA.. second highest on the team... Del Zotto leads with 166 CA. On his heals - Hutton, Horvat, Baertschi and then Tanev with 120.
104 CF... 5th highest on the team... surprising. Ahead of him - Del Zotto, Hutton, Tanev, Baertschi... Wait.. what.. weird... what does that actually tell us about these players here?

3 goals against! Least among D, Horvat, Gagner, Virtanen with less overall. That 5 total goal sample (2 for and 3 against). Also lowest on the team... Seems like a good thing for defensive dman on a team giving up the 2nd least amount of shots/game... for context.. The highest GF on D are Tanev 13, and Hutton 9.. Highest GA... Del Zotto 8, Tanev 6.
Gudbranson's total GF+GA is the lowest on the team at 5.... the highest is Tanev 19, 2nd is Del Zotto at 15.
Throw a % on there, Gudbranson is 40% GF% Delzotto is 46.7.. but both are a mere -1.

His save percentage is high @ 95.89 tho... so overall appears not that unlucky... but that shooting percentage.. the next guy is 7.14.. Boeser.

Gudbranson: 32 ozone starts. 33 dzone starts. 65 total starts. Some context... he ranks 5th on the D in actual ozone starts. FIFTH.

Some further context... he did spend a few games sheltering Pouliot, skewing his usage and shift starts.. a lot more on the fly changes.

Haven't yet looked into how this site figures out quality of teammates or competition... sure as hell hope it isn't +/- like behind the net used to do... otherwise Sbisa was out highest ranking player last yr.. heh heh..

CONCLUSION... Your numbers ARE cherry picked... intentional or not... they are cherrypicked. The exclusion of the raw data as well as the failure put ANYTHING into context wreaks of BS.....

And this is great example of why % stats and rate stats are next to garbage... especially when working such small sample sizes..

My eyes haven't deceived me..... he has been good in his own zone... as we have been watching and commenting on.

People clearly still have A LOT to learn to how interpret the numbers they are reading.

The raw numbers are the raw numbers... they don't lie. After that, every thing requires to be ingested with a heavy grain of salt.

Haven't looked into the rest yet... but I already see a bunch of percentage stats used there... So I can only imagine and assume I would find more of the same...
Do you realize that, right or wrong, there is not a single thing you can post that will change anything?

How many months/years into these types of discussions are we now in?

Go through the last 3+ years and see how many examples of people admitting they were completely wrong about a player exist.

Shinkaruk for Granlund, as of the last couple of days is still a bad trade.
I believe we were 2 days into the season before a ‘Fire Green’ thread was started.

You are going to drive yourself crazy. When someone digs in their heels that appearing right is all that matters, discussion becomes pointless.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast

His CF is 107 4th highest among defenseman. But that's just 6 above Troy Stecher and 27 above Pouliot. Troy has played 20 less minutes, with 6 less CF, Derrick has 40 minutes less played.

Also, you cannot compare those rates of defenseman vs forwards, defenseman just play a lot more. So they actually tent to have higher raw rates.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/pla...toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=82&lines=single

The 1st forward shows up is @ 28 that entire list is dominated by defenseman. They have higher rates then forwards... So bringing up Baertschi and Horvat doesn't make much sense. It's simply unfair.

His CF/60 is higher sure, that's fair. But as soon as you look at Fenwick and Shots it paints a contradictory picture. Gudbranson on ice shots for rate per 60 is 24.95, compared to Hutton's 29.62, Gudbranson might be producing high corsi, but not high fenwick or shots, which is showing the contrary.

I go over this in my PDO post

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/137320359/

Fair enough

It's actually QoT measured by their TOI% or their CF%, same goes for QoC.

Your problem with rates aren't warranted. You are comparing 2 different players based on their raw stats while they don't have the same TOI. Yeah, of course Gudbranson is going to have higher base line corsi events. He spends 3-4 more minutes on average on the ice compared to Horvat 5-on-5. Your usage of statistics is very flawed. You did not come to a accurate conclusion. You accused me of cherry picking when you are doing dishonest tactics knowingly or unknowingly.

Rates are helpful comparing different defenseman or forwards with the ice time they are allotted. If one player gets a lot more icetime he will just simply have more raw data points. So comparing them is simply unfair.

I bring up more advanced stats based on his defensive play in here:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/137304369/
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/137305025/

This has to do with how Gudbranson does not do well in preventing scoring chances, I match him up to Hutton, who has been ripped to shreds lately over being "bad defensively", to make a point how our perception of the two players are false.

You should really, I linked some.

I personally think you made a fair point in one of your points when it comes down to GA/GF GF%. That is absolutely a fair point to pick on me for. However, you make some critical errors in using advanced stats in the other ones.

When looking at GA/60 rates Gudbranson has a rate of 1.47 which is fantastic however, contrast that to his high/unsustainable on-ice save percentage it's fair to say that that will come down quite a bit and he will get scored on quite a lot more. That point I expanded in my PDO post, where I talk about his PDO and on-ice save percentage vs shooting percentage.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Do you realize that, right or wrong, there is not a single thing you can post that will change anything?

How many months/years into these types of discussions are we now in?

Go through the last 3+ years and see how many examples of people admitting they were completely wrong about a player exist.

Shinkaruk for Granlund, as of the last couple of days is still a bad trade.
I believe we were 2 days into the season before a ‘Fire Green’ thread was started.

You are going to drive yourself crazy. When someone digs in their heels that appearing right is all that matters, discussion becomes pointless.

That's because people want to ignore context and try to claim some sort of victory by shifting the discussion away from the points that were actually made. If people would argue with honesty then they might accomplish something, but people like to misrepresent the other side and then try to argue reductio ad absurdum, which just causes heels to get dug in.

The poor reasoning skills and specious logic exist in all sides and as long as people care more about winning than they do about making an intellectually honest argument nothing will ever change.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
His CF is 107 4th highest among defenseman. But that's just 6 above Troy Stecher and 27 above Pouliot. Troy has played 20 less minutes, with 6 less CF, Derrick has 40 minutes less played.

Also, you cannot compare those rates of defenseman vs forwards, defenseman just play a lot more. So they actually tent to have higher raw rates.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/pla...toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=82&lines=single

The 1st forward shows up is @ 28 that entire list is dominated by defenseman. They have higher rates then forwards... So bringing up Baertschi and Horvat doesn't make much sense. It's simply unfair.

His CF/60 is higher sure, that's fair. But as soon as you look at Fenwick and Shots it paints a contradictory picture. Gudbranson on ice shots for rate per 60 is 24.95, compared to Hutton's 29.62, Gudbranson might be producing high corsi, but not high fenwick or shots, which is showing the contrary.

I go over this in my PDO post

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/137320359/

Fair enough

It's actually QoT measured by their TOI% or their CF%, same goes for QoC.

Your problem with rates aren't warranted. You are comparing 2 different players based on their raw stats while they don't have the same TOI. Yeah, of course Gudbranson is going to have higher base line corsi events. He spends 3-4 more minutes on average on the ice compared to Horvat 5-on-5. Your usage of statistics is very flawed. You did not come to a accurate conclusion. You accused me of cherry picking when you are doing dishonest tactics knowingly or unknowingly.

Rates are helpful comparing different defenseman or forwards with the ice time they are allotted. If one player gets a lot more icetime he will just simply have more raw data points. So comparing them is simply unfair.

I bring up more advanced stats based on his defensive play in here:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/137304369/
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/137305025/

This has to do with how Gudbranson does not do well in preventing scoring chances, I match him up to Hutton, who has been ripped to shreds lately over being "bad defensively", to make a point how our perception of the two players are false.

You should really, I linked some.

I personally think you made a fair point in one of your points when it comes down to GA/GF GF%. That is absolutely a fair point to pick on me for. However, you make some critical errors in using advanced stats in the other ones.

When looking at GA/60 rates Gudbranson has a rate of 1.47 which is fantastic however, contrast that to his high/unsustainable on-ice save percentage it's fair to say that that will come down quite a bit and he will get scored on quite a lot more. That point I expanded in my PDO post, where I talk about his PDO and on-ice save percentage vs shooting percentage.

My original point stands... You were being hyperbolic calling him a complete disaster and liability for the this team...
Even showed you over reaching and being disingenuous with some of the numbers you chose to provide to back up your point.

Your side is established - there are lot of stats that don't look favorably for Gudbranson.
But he's clearly showing good value on the strength of one single stat that matters most... GA = 3.
Wasn't even aware of it till today.. but matches the eye test.

Hopefully he keeps it up, eh..

Last edited:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
lmfao yeah agreed that gudbranson looked good when paired with a top 15 dman
You have to put him with a partner that is good at moving puck, responsible for themselves defensively, someone that can cover for him when he gets out of position to make a hit, and someone that has played at least 300 games in NHL. So yeah, pair him with Tanev or another true top 4 dman and he will do better. He couldn't be paired with Hutton because Hutton wasn't good enough to grow as a second year player and cover for Guddy at same time. We should trade Hutton asap and resign Guddy to 5 x 4 yr

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
My original point stands... You were being hyperbolic calling him a complete disaster and liability for the this team...
Even showed you over reaching and being disingenuous with some of the numbers you chose to provide to back up your point.

Your side is established - there are lot of stats that don't look favorably for Gudbranson.
But he's clearly showing good value on the strength of one single stat that matters most... GA = 3.
Wasn't even aware of it till today.. but matches the eye test.

Hopefully he keeps it up, eh..

Hyperbolic? Not really, transitionally he is a disaster. Look at him compared to his teammates in that regard. His offense/defense possession rates are heavily skewed towards him getting buried in his own zone. It's not hyperbolic to say transitionally he is a disaster, and possession wise he is.

You also, you've accused me of cherry picking, while you cherry pick just 1 statistics.

Advanced stats are complicated, I understand that, I don't even know what half this shit is. Nobody really teaches you how to look at them, you just kind of have to look at them by yourself.

That 3 GA is also without context, it would be highly statistically improbable for Gudbranson to keep up on the same pace of GA. I've explained why in my PDO post. Where I break down why his PDO is even, although the on-ice shooting percentage is way too low and his on-ice save percentage is way too high. In that post I explain why he will/is about to get a whole lot more minuses on his record, as his PDO variables balance out.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hyperbolic? Not really, transitionally he is a disaster. Look at him compared to his teammates in that regard. His offense/defense possession rates are heavily skewed towards him getting buried in his own zone. It's not hyperbolic to say transitionally he is a disaster, and possession wise he is.

You also, you've accused me of cherry picking, while you cherry pick just 1 statistics.

Advanced stats are complicated, I understand that, I don't even know what half this **** is. Nobody really teaches you how to look at them, you just kind of have to look at them by yourself.

That 3 GA is also without context, it would be highly statistically improbable for Gudbranson to keep up on the same pace of GA. I've explained why in my PDO post. Where I break down why his PDO is even, although the on-ice shooting percentage is way too low and his on-ice save percentage is way too high. In that post I explain why he will/is about to get a whole lot more minuses on his record, as his PDO variables balance out.

At the end of the day ALLLLLLL these stats are trying to produce one main thing... a predictive measure for a player's future GF and GA.

Now let's see how Gudbranson does. Some of the numbers you state say one pretty specific outcome..
Let's see how it plays out.... because watching him doesn't give you the sensation that some dam is about to break against him like apparently the numbers do.

In the meanwhile... make the boards go boom Guddy!

Reactions: Nomobo

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
At the end of the day ALLLLLLL these stats are trying to produce one main thing... a predictive measure for a player's future GF and GA.

Now let's see how Gudbranson does. The numbers you state say one pretty specific outcome..
Let's see how it plays out.... because watching him doesn't give you the sensation that some dam is about to break against him like apparently the numbers do.

But now you are cherry picking...

30 goals against in 640 minutes over 39 games played in the last 2 years.

Makes his goals against per 60 2.81, which would be 2nd highest on the team for defenseman and 6th on the team behind Daniel and Henrik, Dorsett, Del Zotto, and Sutter.

His goals against rates will go up this year... that much is certain.

Put on last years team he'd be 2nd highest on the team behind Markus Granlund who got buried in goals against last year.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
But now you are cherry picking...

30 goals against in 640 minutes over 39 games played in the last 2 years.

Makes his goals against per 60 2.81, which would be 2nd highest on the team for defenseman and 6th on the team behind Daniel and Henrik, Dorsett, Del Zotto, and Sutter.

His goals against rates will go up this year... that much is certain.

Put on last years team he'd be 2nd highest on the team behind Markus Granlund who got buried in goals against last year.
Maybe his GF goes up too!

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Maybe his GF goes up too!

Oh it definitely will as I brought up in the PDO post...

We do not have enough data to predict where he will be at the end of the year in terms of GF%. Especially since his PDO variables will balance out so it's going to throw a wrench into the GA/60 and GF/60.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I think he's played well to be honest. Sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story. He's been solid defensively and has even produced some chances. He seems best when he's down low playing the body hard and that sometimes opens things up for perimeter shots. I'm speaking as a person that really really hated that trade at the time and even now

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

DNcY22nVAAAtj_b.png:large

:laugh: It's amazing how he manages this pretty much every game.

Reactions: vancityluongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad