Player-Coach Relationships Which Were Strained/Poor (Well-Known and Not Well-Known)

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
The Miroslav Frycer annecdotes up-thread are fantastic. Toronto really was the NHL's nadir in the 1980s, by all accounts.

The Kings kept the lid on this one seemingly (somewhat), but Darryl Sutter and Drew Doughty are rumoured to have butted heads frequently, culminating in Sutter allegedly being barred from the Kings locker room following a loss in the 2014-15 season. I haven't seen concrete proof that Doughty was behind this, but it's hard not to imagine his fingerprints being all over it. Brown too, of course, but I always had the sense he understood his demotion and let it motivate him. Speculation on my part, though.

LA Kings locked head coach Darryl Sutter out of the locker room after Feburary loss

I got a kick out of the article mentioning a "Maple Leafs level of dysfunction". :laugh:
Frycer could perhaps attest... (I like the Leafs, just FTR)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Carl Brewer left the Leafs around 1965 because of Punch Imlach. I've seen him in an interview before and he says that he "got to me".

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Gretzky and Robbie Ftorek had their differences in LA, which led to Ftorek's eventual firing.
Wayne Gretzky was at odds with Ftorek this season, and many of the other Kings were frustrated with him at one time or another, voicing their feelings at their end-of-the-season meetings with Vachon.

Gretzky, though, has been at the center of the criticism of Ftorek. Ftorek was not fired because of one confrontation with Gretzky in Detroit last November, but he was fired for reasons that are demonstrated by that confrontation.

On the night of Nov. 23, the Kings were beating the Red Wings and Gretzky was having what might have been a record night for points. When Gretzky felt that he had lapsed and contributed to a Detroit goal toward the end of the second period, he hit his stick on the back of the net in his anger at himself.

In the dressing room between the second and third periods, Ftorek announced that Gretzky would be benched at the start of the third period because Ftorek wanted to teach the team to be disciplined.

Gretzky fired back at Ftorek: “Robbie, if you want to teach, go back to New Haven. We’re here to win the Stanley Cup.”

When Ftorek was brought up from the Kings’ American Hockey League affiliate, the New Haven Nighthawks, in December of 1987, the Kings were a young and struggling team. But after trading a lot of young talent for Gretzky and several other veteran players, the team changed dramatically.

In announcing that Ftorek’s contract was not being extended, Vachon said: “Robbie is a teacher, a good technician, but now we have a team that is older, we have a lot of players who have been in the Stanley Cup finals, and it becomes a more difficult team to manage . . .

“Our next coach is going to have to know how to deal with stars. We have a lot of stars. . . . Communication will be very important.”

Kings' Success Doesn't Save Ftorek's Job : With Lack of Players' Support, Controversial Coach Is Fired

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
One of the best known ones was Toe Blake and Jacques Plante in Montreal. All of Plante's complaints about not feeling well and his personality in general drove Blake up the wall.

The player who got under Scotty Bowman's skin the most in Montreal was Peter Mahovlich. Peter was an easy-going practical joker who was not intimidated by Bowman and often talked back to him.

Don Cherry hated Ken Hodge in Boston. There's a story about how after they lost a 9-0 game to Atlanta, Cherry thought the team was too tense, so he ordered some beer and shrimp and invited them to his hotel suite so they could just relax and chill our. When Hodge showed up, he said "Do I have to stay for this?". Cherry replied "No, you don't have to stay. Get the **** out!"

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Alain Vigneault and Keith Ballard, for some reason AV will not trust Keith Ballard to even walk his dog. No matter what he did, Ballard would find himself in the doghouse or be healthy scratched for reasons unknown

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Gretzky and Robbie Ftorek had their differences in LA, which led to Ftorek's eventual firing.

Kings' Success Doesn't Save Ftorek's Job : With Lack of Players' Support, Controversial Coach Is Fired
I was at a Kings-Flames game in 1989, and a near-brawl broke out. In the tension that followed, Gretzky was delivering a message from the ref to an enraged Robbie Ftorek at the bench. Gretzky listened to Ftorek's own message of response and then skated away to deliver it to the ref. Suddenly, when Wayne was only a couple of feet from the bench, Ftorek reached over the boards and grabbed Wayne's jersey at the chest, yanking him back to the bench in an awkward manner to continue his tirade.

At that point, even the Flames' fans in the Saddledome were booing Ftorek for manhandling Gretzky!

(Or maybe Wayne didn't like Ftorek since Robbie had beaten him in the 1978-79 WHA scoring race...)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The War with Brophy

This is the headline in a 13 page long chapter found in Miroslav Frycer’s autobiography.
Frycer played eight seasons in the NHL, six of them with Toronto during the 1980s.
He scored 330 points in 415 NHL-games.

Frycer wrote that Brophy had a friendly attitude towards him when he was an assistant coach to Dan Maloney, but that it all changed when Brophy became the head coach (for Toronto).

”After about five games he stripped me of my ”A” that was given to me at the start of the season, and gave it to Tom Fergus. I was told that it would be beneficial if the ”A” could be rotated among the players. That didn’t bother me at all, it was just a letter, and Fergie was a great guy.”

”Then Brophy came up with the idea that I should get into more fights during games, and had me pummeling a punching bag for half an hour after each training, this bothered me a lot more.”

”I mean, he wanted the most productive player to turn into a fighter. "Hey listen, Johnny, you know me, and what kind of hockey player I am. I am willing to drop my gloves against anybody, but I am more valuable to the team in other ways", I explained.”

“With this our war began. Brophy made me his own personal punching bag, and began to hinder my development as a player, whenever he could.”

“Brophy didn’t like my playing style that I played together with Peter Ihnacak. We tried to be creative, criss-crossing, attacking in different way than the Canadian players, and it worked well. But in Brophy’s eyes this was “European S**t Hockey”. He wanted us to shoot/dump the puck along the boards. I barely got the puck on my own blue line before I heard him shout from the bench, “Dump the puck in.””

“What the heck, why should I play like this? " "I’ve played in the NHL for five years, and I don’t just give the puck away, if I don’t have to". "I tried to explain this to him, all in vain. Brophy wouldn’t budge”

“Another novelty that he introduced was that we had to weigh in before each game. Why not? We are pros after all, and the coach have the right to be in control. The problem was that Brophy had no clue whatsoever. This was a bit more advanced than his EHL days when a bunch of lumberjacks just used their sticks on each other. He had no advanced schooling to be a coach, and was clueless how many percent muscles and body fat we should have proportionately to our body mass/height. He gave each player a number and we were not allowed to get over it, period.”

After a game during breakfast at Marriott hotel.

“I sat at a table with Iha (Peter Ihnacak) and had a toast while drinking coffee and reading the newspapers. Suddenly, dead silence, what’s up? And I raised my head – Across me was Brophy". “I know that you did it on purpose last night. Before the game you had hookers in your room and being drunk.” My blood pressure began to rise, because it was all hogwash. But I tried to hold back. Don’t let him provoke me I told myself - please just shut it John.”

“But he continued, telling me that I was always faking everything, that I was lazy, and that they lost because of me. That got me over the top, I stood up, grabbed him by his neck and shouted, “say one more word and I’ll punch you to la-la land.”

“I couldn’t care less if he had any boxing skills or not. After that I took my keys and approached our management at another table. I’m going up (to the room) and I’ll call a cab. You in the meantime will fix me a plane ticket to Toronto. I’m not going to play for this moron.”

“They clearly didn’t expect that. “Mirko, don’t overreact, everything will be ok, we have an important game ahead of us.” “I didn’t budge though, I flew home and the rest of the guys flew to Philadelphia, only to lose 1-6.”

“Earlier I had coaches that I didn’t agree with all the time, and that’s part of sports. I didn’t see eye-to-eye with [Michel] Bergeron [Quebec], but I respected him for what he had done in the NHL. [Mike] Nykoluk [Toronto] was not much of a coach, but he was a good guy. [Dan] Maloney [Toronto] also had his moments, but was always fair. Brophy was a different kind of breed altogether.”

“Brophy’s vocabulary was “exemplary”. To him we were just a bunch of mother****ers and bastards. I would have a more intelectual conversation with someone who finished fifth grade in school than with Brophy. Brophy’s basic word was f**k in all shape and forms. Once when we lost a game against Minnesota he managed to get the word in 57 times in a span of six minutes during an interview. To me, who had played for educated gentlemen as Ludek Bukac and Pavel Wohl it was quite a cultural change.”

“Brophy was also like a lunatic in the dressing room. He could enter the room during an intermission, totally out of his mind, ripping off his jacket and shred it to pieces. Or he would take off his watch and trash it against the floor. Trash cans flew around the dressing rooms constantly and we didn’t even raise an eyebrow. I also remember how he came into our dressing room once with blood trickling down his hand, just because he tried to tear down a plexiglass partition while being in a state of rage. In Los Angeles, he once was hit in the head by a puck, his grey hair filled with blood, but he never noticed and kept on shouting, being in total trance.”

“Brophy with his almost perverse style of coaching most definitely didn’t mean any harm. He loved hockey and wanted to win, no one can take that away from him. He wanted to get the best out of us and get us going, but he chose the worst possible path for that. Especially the young guys were not prepared for that. Al Iafrate was a nervous wreck before each game and I had to calm down Gary Leeman to ignore the madman and concentrate on his own game instead.”

“Brophy was old school even by NHL standards in the 1980s. The game was heading in a totally different direction, where Edmonton ruled with fast and technical hockey. But Brophy still wanted to play the type of hockey that ruled in the lower leagues. To provoke your opponent, put fear in him and beat him up". "Knock him off his feet, let him end up in a wheelchair!" "With these instructions he sent his big guys to the ice.”

“When we let in a lot of goals from the goal crease area, he gave us lessons on how to avoid it. He used Chris Kotsopoulos and Val James, a big black guy who joined us from the farm team occasionally, to demonstrate how to defend. Brophy grabbed the stick with both hands and chopped them in their kidneys until they fell down, and again, and again. “if you don’t master this, you don’t have any reason to be out on the ice", he shouted.”

“One of our new players (1987/88) was Dave Semenko who used to be Wayne Gretzky’s bodyguard in Edmonton and a great fighter. He was a tower of a man, but a very kind person who wouldn’t hurt a fly off the ice. Semenko was a humorous and intelligent guy. I really liked him and we got along very well. As a player Semenko was exactly Brophy’s kind of guy. At least it seemed that way.”

“Brophy envisioned that Semenko would beat everyone up. Dave however was not a bad player at all and wanted to finish his career by playing real hockey. In Edmonton he protected mainly Gretzky and didn’t fight unnecessarily. When Wayne was hit or taken advantage of, it was Semenko’s task to set things straight so it wouldn’t happen again. He gave his star some much needed space on the ice. Here Brophy wanted him to attack the opponents star players. This was against Dave’s code of honor. Get back at someone?, fight another tough guy?, ok, that’s all fine. If it helps the team to get going, why not? But he refused to fight without a reason and just be a hired gun for Brophy.”

“It didn’t take long before Dave asked me over a couple of beers, “Oh my god, what kind of lunatic is coaching us?” “In Edmonton he was used to winning and comfort, in Toronto he didn’t find either of those things. After another confrontation with Brophy, he decided to quit hockey, even before the season finished.”

After getting traded from Toronto

“Before training camp I stopped by Maple Leafs Garden to get my equipment. As I walked in there, I bumped into Brophy. Our farewell was short but honest.”
“F**k You !”
“F**k You !”
Thanks for posting that. I've often wondered if Brophy was as much a nutter as he appeared to be, and if Frycer's account is even half true, he was!

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Badger Bob Johnson and Kent Nilsson.

Well-known.

It's not that they had a bad relationship or that one disliked the other, but Kent frustrated the hell out of Bob during their few years together. Several famous stories.

As I remember it, things were way worse between Nilsson & Al MacNeil that led to some locker room turmoil. In the 81 playoffs, MacNeil publicly called out Nilsson for "disappearing like magic," leading to Eric Duhatschek dubbing Nilsson "Magic Man." Nilsson's linemate & best friend Willi Plett was angry at MacNeil & I think led some mini locker room revolt. MacNeil & Plett supposedly had animosity all throughout the 81-82 season, which was a contributing factor in MacNeil getting axed & the entire reason Plett was shipped out. As I recall, there were maybe a few others who were supposedly part of a Nilsson/Plett clique who Cliff Fletcher also shipped out, but I can't remember who else was supposedly involved. Despite the frustrations with Nilsson, the Flames kept him for 5 years.

I also recall a Badger Bob / Kenta story from back in the day: the Flames were getting blown out by the Whalers 6-1 or something. The Flames got a power play with Nilsson on the point. He tried to fire in the puck but Ron Francis intercepted it & blew by him. Instead of skating after him, Nilsson just stood there & let him have a 1-on-1 & score. When Nilsson skated back to the bench, an incredulous Johnson asked him why he didn't go after Francis. He reportedly replied, "6-1, 7-1, what's the difference?" An exasperated Badger Bob called him out in the press for that one.

When Nilsson was finally shown the door, it was either Fletcher or Johnson who remarked something along the lines of "the last of the troublemakers" being gone, referring to the Nilsson/Plett clique.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
79-80: Canucks coach Harry Neale publicly calls out rookies Rick Vaive and Bill Derlago for lazy, indifferent play & not backchecking. Captain Don Lever defends the youngsters & accuses Neale of picking on them. Lever is stripped of the captaincy & the three are shipped out by GM Jake Milford at Neale's request.

82-83: Shortly before the 82 playoffs, Canucks captain Kevin McCarthy goes down to injury. Interim head coach Roger Neilson names Stan Smyl captain while McCarthy is injured. Smyl leads the Canucks to the Finals while McCarthy misses the playoffs completely.

At the beginning of the 82-83 season, new head coach Neilson announces he is staying with Smyl as his captain. McCarthy is upset at being stripped of his captaincy in favor of Smyl, and whines to the media more than once throughout the season. Friction between Neilson and McCarthy is evident throughout Neilson's tenure, as McCarthy goes from being #1 D carrying heavy minutes in 82 to being a second & third paring guy, seemingly on the decline when he should've been hitting his peak. New GM Neale eventually ships McCarthy out the next season, & his career pretty much ended.

Last edited:

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
One day the Flames coach was drawing up a play on the board, illustrating to Makarov how to position himself. Suddenly, Makarov grabbed the chalk, crossed everything out and started making his own diagrams. “Tikhonov bad guy, good coach,” he said to Crisp (in reference to the late Soviet bench boss). “You? Good guy, bad coach.” Crisp, who had led the Flames to a Stanley Cup the year before, said Makarov, who played in the Soviet Union on the KLM line with Vladimir Krutov and Igor Larionov, probably had more talent than anybody he had ever coached.
“But I’d played for Scotty Bowman and Fred Shero, two of the best coaches in the business,” he said. ”It wasn’t as if I just fell off a turnip truck.”

What an interesting/funny story!

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
can anyone shed light on this?

Mogilny joined the Red Army from Khabarovsk and soon formed a talented troika with Pavel Bure and Sergei Fedorov. Mogilny had a really hard time adjusting to the disciplined and dictatorial leadership of Vladimir Tikhonov. In Khabarovsk he had more freedom both on and off the ice, which suited him better.

According to legend Tikhonov gave Mogilny a slap in the face on the bench during a game at the 1988 Olympics in Calgary, after Mogilny failed to follow orders.

If true, it was probably one of the many nails in the coffin for Mogilny.
The following year he defected to USA while playing at the 1989 World Championships in Stockholm.

Apparently all the guys on that World Championship team bought computers to bring back home to USSR, except for Mogilny. The day before his defection, his roommate asked why he hadn't bought a computer, Mogilny cryptically replied: “You'll know tomorrow.”

Reactions: Tarantula

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Rod Brind'Amour and Peter Laviolette did not like each other when Laviolette took over for Maurice in the 2003-04 season. Brindy admitted it once in an interview and even stated he was about to request a trade but decided against it because he wanted to help mentor Eric Staal. The lockout may have been the best thing for them interestingly enough. Theres been some chatter that the two men started to sour on one another again towards the end of Laviolettes tenure in Raleigh but Lavi also burned some bridges with the whole team before his firing so it wasn't just Brindy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad