Player Agent Don Meehan online right now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
PepNCheese said:
I'll believe it when I see it.

The teams that would be doing most of the sharing aren't terribly interested in the idea, from what I've seen so far.

It's clearly stated in the owner's CBA proposal from December.

8. Revenue Sharing. In connection with our new economic system, as we have previously explained to you, we intend to implement meaningful revenue sharing by and between the Clubs. As you know, we previously provided you with an extensive description of concepts for enhanced revenue sharing -- including over 30 different models of potential revenue sharing scenarios. We reiterate our willingness to implement, in conjunction with a new economic system, an enhanced revenue sharing program that will allow the new system to operate as intended. Under our proposed approach, all 30 of our Clubs (assuming an appropriate level of business performance within their respective markets), would be provided the ability to spend within the prescribed payroll range.

http://nhlcbanews.com/news/nhlresponse121404.html

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It sounds like it maybe it should be put to a player vote. Let them decide as a group if it's an acceptable offer. I agree though, that hopefully a significant revenue sharing plan accompanies any new deal.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Duff88 said:
Has the NHLPA declined the offer or are they still looking at it?

From what Griffiths was saying he beleives they are talking about it, as he put it, he figured the phone lines were burning up between the players and there agents and the PA

SENSible1*

Meehan turning up the heat on Goodenow and Linden. :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

I'll say this about Donny-boy, he has big brass ones and his timing is impeccable.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
Pittsburgh cut their payroll so low to prepare for the lockout. The penguins have a very expensive lease, coupled with high property taxes in western PA which forced them to control spending and save money to reach the other side of the lockout.

Also, the pens just hired an advisor from the John Kerry party who grew up in Pittsburgh to help in the political fight to secure one of the slots licences that would help fund a new arena.

Trust me, there are many other teams that have more problems than the Pens.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
vanlady said:
Actually what he said was that Pittsburg wasn't making it with a 21 million dollar payroll and if they couldn't meet the salary floor then he went on to talk about both Carolina and Pittsburg not deserving to be in the NHL.

The essence of his comment was simple, if you can't get other expences under control you don't belong in the league and I agree with him.

first, spell PittsburgH correctly

second, he never said Pittsburgh wasn't making it with a 21 million dollar payroll

he just said teams like Pittsburgh and Carolina, if they could not meet the salary floor, along with other teams do not belong in the NHL

he never said Pittsburgh is not making it.......he never said they do not deserve to be in the NHL

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
The NHL has clearly stated that they will revenue share enough to allow all teams to meet the cap.
Have you and I had this debate before? I thought you were against revenue sharing. My only point is that revenue sharing is the KEY to this deal. If the NHL is going to guarantee that all 30 teams can meet the floor great. I would just to see a little more detail about how they plan to do it.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Meehan turning up the heat on Goodenow and Linden. :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

I'll say this about Donny-boy, he has big brass ones and his timing is impeccable.

Meehan was never on the phone. Arthur Griffiths the ex owner of the Canucks and good family freind of John McCaw leaked it.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
At this point, I think any deal is going to have an "exit" clause, to apease the other sides fears more than anything else. Both sides don't really like what the other side is selling, so, the only way to get them on board is to let them know they won't be stuck with this deal for a long time.

This is why the last player deal had a 3 year trigger clause, and why this owner deal has a year 4 exit clause. Expect the final CBA to have either a trigger or a exit clause for whichever side "loses" the dispute.

Finally, the big question is how much progress has been made on some of these details? Have lawyers for the PA and NHL agreed to a definition of Hockey related Revenue? Have the NHL and PA agreed to the auditor, and what information they will have access too?

If the answer to those questions is "yes" (and based on the players cap trigger clause in their last proposal, my guess is in fact "yes"), then were all set. If the answer is "no", then getting the details of a CBA put together is going to be tough.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
CarlRacki said:

8. Revenue Sharing. In connection with our new economic system, as we have previously explained to you, we intend to implement meaningful revenue sharing by and between the Clubs. As you know, we previously provided you with an extensive description of concepts for enhanced revenue sharing -- including over 30 different models of potential revenue sharing scenarios. We reiterate our willingness to implement, in conjunction with a new economic system, an enhanced revenue sharing program that will allow the new system to operate as intended. Under our proposed approach, all 30 of our Clubs (assuming an appropriate level of business performance within their respective markets), would be provided the ability to spend within the prescribed payroll range.

Well, this isn't the same offer as the one in December.

Also, there are no specifics, even in the passage you quoted.

Tell me what the owners' revenue sharing plan is, please?

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
everybody bashes the canes-the canes payroll last yr was well over 32 mill and the year prior to that it was over 40 mill to start the season--though you would think the canes were on their deathbed listening to some commentators and posters-there are several teams in need of welfare worse than carolina-also carolina has one of the sweetest arena deals in the league if not the sweetest--the canes had to rebuild after their cup run because some players aged really quick (francis) and lost their scoring touch (battaglia and o'neill to name 2) but now they are 2 years into the rebuild and have acquired, developed and drafted some excellent young players (staal-cole-justin williams-vrbata-ladd-cam ward-danny richmand-joe vasicek) to go with some pretty steady vets (brindamore-wesley-hedican-and o'neill once he starts to find the net again) most teams attendance goes in the crapper when they drop near the bottom of the league but this team has hit bottom and is on the rebound and when a decent product is on the ice our turnout has usually been pretty reliable. i would think preds and pens or thrash and pens is a better analogy than canes and pens.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
CarlRacki said:

I see this quoted all the time and have read it myself. The part of that guarantee that bothers me is the line "assuming an appropriate level of business performance within their respective markets" What does that mean exactly? Just my opinion but I would like to see a more defined revenue sharing proposal and that is why I have said I think meaningful revenue sharing is the key to any deal.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Chili said:
It sounds like it maybe it should be put to a player vote. Let them decide as a group if it's an acceptable offer. I agree though, that hopefully a significant revenue sharing plan accompanies any new deal.

A player vote...

I'd guess 75% of the players call up their agents and ask if its ok.

Agents want money. If it looks good to the agents. We will get a deal. Meehan is one big agent thats for sure.

Agents want to see whats in for the futur. ANy news on rookie restrictions / bonuses?

SENSible1*

vanlady said:
Meehan was never on the phone. Arthur Griffiths the ex owner of the Canucks and good family freind of John McCaw leaked it.

Now that changes things significantly, but it really wasn't clear from the 1st page of the thread.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Thunderstruck said:

Meehan represents Linden

It was said that Meehan pushed Linden into getting the meetings going two weeks ago.That didn't work

Meehan decided to take matters into his own hands

bobomironov

Jan 10, 2005
vanlady said:

i am confused. was Meehan not on the radio show? just who was it that provided this information about the proposal? is the title of this thread eroneous?

likea

Jul 9, 2004
ya, this was a rumor put forth by Arthur Griffiths, the host of the talk show, not the agent!!!!!

also they plan to talk hockey next so he will probably hit this topic again

likea

Jul 9, 2004
bobomironov said:
i am confused. was Meehan not on the radio show? just who was it that provided this information about the proposal? is the title of this thread eroneous?

Meehan was never on the show

the host put forth that rumor

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Was the rumour put forth in Meehan's name? Or was it just Griffiths spouting off?

Ie, Don Meehan told me the proposed deal was X:

Or

I have heard that the NHL proposal was X, and were trying to get Don Meehan on the phone?

likea

Jul 9, 2004
he said he got a copy of the proposal

but Meehan said he has seen alot of what if proposals, maybe 8 or 9 and most of it is speculation

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Egil said:
Was the rumour put forth in Meehan's name? Or was it just Griffiths spouting off?

Ie, Don Meehan told me the proposed deal was X:

Or

I have heard that the NHL proposal was X, and were trying to get Don Meehan on the phone?

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->