played for both the Leafs & Canadiens

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Badger Bob said:
Damphousse may have been the only player to have led three different teams (Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal) in scoring in three consecutive seasons.

Damphousse missed leading the Sharks in scoring by a few points several times. Pierre Turgeon led four different franchises in scoring (Buffalo, Isles, Habs, Blues). Anyone else? Who else has led three? Wayne Gretzky... um...

Badger Bob

moneyp said:
Damphousse missed leading the Sharks in scoring by a few points several times. Pierre Turgeon led four different franchises in scoring (Buffalo, Isles, Habs, Blues). Anyone else? Who else has led three? Wayne Gretzky... um...

What was unique about Damphousse was that he did it with three different teams in three consecutive seasons: his last year with the Leafs, his only year in Edmonton and his first year in Montreal. He played multiple years in Montreal, so it wouldn't have mattered what position he finished in scoring with San Jose. Unless it can be shown that Turgeon, Gretzky, Selanne or anybody else played for three different teams in three consecutive seasons and led them in scoring, it's immaterial.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
moneyp said:
The full list:

That's up through 2004. Not sure if this year added anyone else to the list. The guys who have made significant contributions to both teams includes Lorne Chabot, Dick Duff, Frank Mahovlich, Jacques Plante, Vincent Damphousse, and Shayne Corson.

If you include executives, you can add Dick Irvin, Frank Selke, Ken Dryden, Serge Savard, Pat Burns, probably others...

Like Mahovlich and Duff, Bert Olmstead was part of championship teams in Toronto and Montreal. I would say this was a significant contribution. His numbers were declining by time he was in Toronto but still had an impact.

Who else managed to win Cups in both organizations?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
The Albino said:
Add to that list the man, the myth, the legend:

Marius Czerkawski
He was also waived by both teams. That has to be some kind of record (beign waived by both Leafs and Habs).

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
makaveli92 said:
Like Mahovlich and Duff, Bert Olmstead was part of championship teams in Toronto and Montreal. I would say this was a significant contribution.

You are correct, sir. I initially forgot about him when I threw together that paragraph. Dirty Bertie was indeed a significant player for both franchises (franchii?).

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Badger Bob said:
What was unique about Damphousse was that he did it with three different teams in three consecutive seasons

Yes, yes, already got that. Have moved on to the next question of guys who have led three different franchises in scoring, period.

Add Jeremy Roenick to the list.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
makaveli92 said:
Like Mahovlich and Duff, Bert Olmstead was part of championship teams in Toronto and Montreal. I would say this was a significant contribution. His numbers were declining by time he was in Toronto but still had an impact.

Who else managed to win Cups in both organizations?

Well, obviously no one in the NHL in the last 38 years can be on the list! :D

I'm sure SOMEONE will take the time to figure this out for me!

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
jiggs 10 said:
Well, obviously no one in the NHL in the last 38 years can be on the list! :D

I'm sure SOMEONE will take the time to figure this out for me!

Among coaches, Dick Irvin is the only one, I believe. Toronto in 1931(?) and Montreal in '44, '46 and '53.

Irvin's Maple Leaf teams of the thirties were the most snakebit team, losing in the finals seven times, which might be a record for a coach. They were easily the best team of the decade, but they only won one Cup. Still, it was a mistake to let him go. He revitalised the Canadiens franchise, and along with Frank Selke (another former Leaf executive) paved the way for the dynasties to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad