Play Ball! After months of idiocy, schedule is in place & camps open July 1st

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt we see any form of baseball until July, even that may be optimistic, up until few days ago I was hopeful by Memorial Day but no chance, this is spreading fast

Has there been any pontificating as to what a shortened season would look like? Baseball is obviously no stranger to work stoppages, but starting in July is already cutting the season in half. That's almost assuming you start July 1, after whatever postponed spring training is done, which isn't a given, but any scenario, even optimistic ones are worth thinking out loud about since there isn't much else to do. And of the sports that have shut down, unless they cut off crowd sizes, they have the largest crowds, so that will take longer.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Division Games per team | 19 -> 12 (cut 1 home series per opponent)
Non-Division games per team | 7 -> 4 or 5 (typically one 4 gamer, one 3, cut to 2/2 or 3/2)
Interleague - None

Easiest way to 88 or 98 games

Ideal would be 134, which would just be making the Division cut. Would need to start by early June and play through October.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Division Games per team | 19 -> 12 (cut 1 home series per opponent)
Non-Division games per team | 7 -> 4 or 5 (typically one 4 gamer, one 3, cut to 2/2 or 3/2)
Interleague - None

Easiest way to 88 or 98 games

Ideal would be 134, which would just be making the Division cut. Would need to start by early June and play through October.

No interleague play is now impossible with 15 teams in each league

Reactions: Roman Fell

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
doh.gif

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008
Multiple players have said that they are willing to play a significant number of doubleheaders -- as many as two a week -- to make up for lost games and try to get as close to a full 162-game schedule as possible.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
There are lot of obstacles. I am not holding my breath on this happening.

Above all, Arizona has to remain a state that has not been hit by a big outbreak of cases (they 'only' have about 2,500 cases). Nearly 5 M people live in the Phoenix metro area...as we've seen, these outbreaks can go quickly through the population. You can isolate the players as much as possible, they will still need people to clean the hotel rooms, clean the locker rooms, drive the buses, prepare food, etc.

Are players really going to accept leaving their families for 4+ months to live exclusively in hotels? It seems far fetched to me.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage
Sep 19, 2008
Until the country has gone through all its “hotspot” nightmares and hospitals too crowded to treat anyone, and until we know of the pandemic will recur next fall, and until international travel is back, this is simple:

You. Can’t. Play. Sports.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Places with low numbers likely haven't had enough testing done, anyway. As of yesterday, only ~0.5% of all in the US had even been tested, or 1 in 200.

The numbers are all bullshit. This isn't exclusive to the US, either. Current numbers in hotspots only give a bit of perspective, but hardly tell the story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad