Prospect Info: Play Bad for Ekblad? (the 2014 draft thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I don't think trading back for Fleury is going to be an option. I truthfully don't know the exact number, but I would wager there haven't been many drafts in the past 15 years where 2 defensemen at least didn't go in the Top 10 picks. Not enough incentive to jump back only 1 or 2 spots and risk losing out if you're that keen on him. He'll go Top 10. With the defense class being so relatively weak this year on top end talent, it raises the price on the two available. In my keeper league draft we had Ekblad 1st overall, Fleury 10th, and the next defenseman at 25th in Travis Sanheim. Fleury and Sanheim both probably take small jumps up in the real one.

Since 2002, there has been one draft with fewer than two defenseman in the top 10, oddly enough in 2006 when Erik Johnson went first overall. Only one other time has there been fewer than three taken: 2010 when Erik Gudbransson went 3 and Dylan McIlrath went 10.

You're probably right in that trading back probably loses Fleury, but I'd love to see that much talked about swap with Anaheim and have a range of players they'd be willing to take.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'd love that Anaheim swap too, but that's completely contingent on Anaheim having one guy targeted at 7, which is pretty unlikely since nobody can figure out who to take in that spot.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Fleury projects to be a steady top 4, perhaps top 2, dman for years to come. I'd be perfectly OK with him at #7. Heck, I'd be OK with most of the guys that will presumably be available at #7. As I've stated before, my preference at #7 would be for Nylander, with Fleury being a close second. It would be refreshing to actually draft a very highly rated dman and have him pan out for once though.

I don't think one of Dal Colle, Bennett or Draisatl falls, but if they do, I'd hope we'd snatch one of them up without a second thought. As far as the power foward prospects that "should" be there at #7 (Ritchie, Virtanen or Perlini), I think I'd be fine with any of them, with a slight edge to Virtanen above the other 2.

If you can use #7 to drop down just a few spots and pick up a late first or very early 2nd, you do it w/o thinking. I think that still nets us one of Fluery, Nylander, Ritchie, Virtanen or Perlini and also helps re-stock some pretty bare cupboards.

I'm more so interested to see if RF can really dump Ward at the draft. He was able to get in some pretty good signings in yesterday w/ Hainsey and Gerbe, but Tlusty is still un-signed and there's a glaring need for another top 4 d in my opinion. Maybe RF can pull some "Sekera"-like trade magic this weekend...

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Met a guy from the Capitals broadcast team a couple of days ago. He is looking forward to seeing a lot of action at the draft in terms of trades/moving up/moving down throughout the league. Also had plenty to say about the inner workings in Washington. Needless to say, Oates' ego was out of control.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Met a guy from the Capitals broadcast team a couple of days ago. He is looking forward to seeing a lot of action at the draft in terms of trades/moving up/moving down throughout the league. Also had plenty to say about the inner workings in Washington. Needless to say, Oates' ego was out of control.

I remember reading the story about Oates directing the players on what tape to use and how they needed to tape their sticks and how the goalie coach quit because of how Oates wanted to change Holtby, etc..

Some really incredible stuff.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I remember reading the story about Oates directing the players on what tape to use and how they needed to tape their sticks and how the goalie coach quit because of how Oates wanted to change Holtby, etc..

And a real power struggle between him and McPhee - to the point where he was putting some decent acquisitions in positions to fail so McPhee would take the blame and be fired. All he did was get BOTH fired.

bluedevil58*

read the facebook post comments about Ritchie for a great laugh.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And a real power struggle between him and McPhee - to the point where he was putting some decent acquisitions in positions to fail so McPhee would take the blame and be fired. All he did was get BOTH fired.

Yeah, I heard about that also. Scratching Fehr, handling of Orlov, Erat and Penner on the 4th line, etc... I guess it will be a long time (if ever) before he sniffs a coaching job.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

And I thought Muller was a little controlling for outlawing clear tape. Yikes.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
If HoSang drops to the 2nd round, odds on us moving for him?

There was a decent article making the rounds yesterday about Ho-Sang. He's a REALLY confident guy and a solid amount of teams have flat out said they won't touch him in any round even though he has 1st round talent. It's hard to say if the Canes are one of those teams or not. Once I get home from class I'll post the link to that article for you.

EDIT: Here's that Ho-Sang article- Link

And another article about Ho-Sang. To me he just sounds like a typical teenager that had hippy parents.

Last edited:

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
"Trade the Staal's then pick this guy and get other draft picks. Id rather have a young, talented team that wants to win than a veteran LAZY team that could careless about anything."

"this guy" was perlini

further:
" Perlini has almost the same stats for the 2014 season as E.Staal and this kid has more goals than Staal.. I am sick of watching a team that gives up when they STILL have a chance for a playoff spot."

wat.

god i forgot how much i love the facebook page.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
"Trade the Staal's then pick this guy and get other draft picks. Id rather have a young, talented team that wants to win than a veteran LAZY team that could careless about anything."

"this guy" was perlini

further:
" Perlini has almost the same stats for the 2014 season as E.Staal and this kid has more goals than Staal.. I am sick of watching a team that gives up when they STILL have a chance for a playoff spot."

wat.

god i forgot how much i love the facebook page.

Perlini >>>> Staal

OHL >>>>> NHL

ainec

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
There was a decent article making the rounds yesterday about Ho-Sang. He's a REALLY confident guy and a solid amount of teams have flat out said they won't touch him in any round even though he has 1st round talent. It's hard to say if the Canes are one of those teams or not. Once I get home from class I'll post the link to that article for you.

And another article about Ho-Sang. To me he just sounds like a typical teenager that had hippy parents.

He seems to have the PK Subban attitude, but that could be a positive thing here. I wouldn't mind grabbing him if we could double dip in the first or if he drops to the 2nd round.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

thanks for posting this. it will be interesting following this kid to see how it all works out for him.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
OK, so we all know we're taking a goalie in this draft. We pretty much have to. And we all assume it will be Alex Nedeljkovic because of the Plymouth connection, and the fact that he's ranked right around the slot of our second-round pick.

But what if we don't like him? He's on the small side for a goalie (6-0, 183), and his main weakness seems to be seeing pucks through traffic. And even if we *do* want him, there's always the chance one of the other 29 teams wants him, too, or that somebody we *have* to take slips out of the first round.

There are a couple of Finns (Ville Husso, Kaapo Kahkonen), a Swede (Jonas Johansson) and a Russian (Igor Shesterkin) in the top 10, and I like the idea of non-North American goalie prospects because there's not the urgency to get them over here and they have time to develop. And for some reason, I'm a lot less worried about the Russian Factor when it comes to goalies. It seems like all the good Russian goalies are in the NHL and there's never a rumor of them leaving. Now that I think about it, it's kinda weird.

There's also the possibility the No. 1 rated goalie, Thatcher Demko of BC, is there for our second rounder, since he's really not looked at as a first-round talent and goalies are so notoriously hard to project with any accuracy.

I personally like the way Mason McDonald (Charlottetown, QMJHL) looks on paper, but I've never seen any of these guys.

McDonald is a really toolsy goaltender, with notable upside. When you have a 6-4 prospect with high-end athleticism, you can project that player to be able to make some of the tougher stops in pro hockey. McDonald's lateral quickness is fantastic, and while he hasn't filled out his frame yet (he's 186 pounds), he knows how to get his body in front of pucks. On second efforts, McDonald is solid battling for pucks and he fights through screens well. At times, he can get a little too energetic with his movements, and while he reacts well to moving pucks, he does overcommit occasionally. However, McDonald's hockey IQ and ability to square up pucks are well above average. He is an impressive prospect overall.

Pronman's goalie rankings on ESPN.com Insider

So ... discuss!

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I want a skater with the 2nd rounder.

Take a goalie in the 3rd or 4th. I believe in Daniel Altshuller.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
He seems to have the PK Subban attitude, but that could be a positive thing here. I wouldn't mind grabbing him if we could double dip in the first or if he drops to the 2nd round.

I kinda agree, there are a few guys I'd be happy with in the 2nd round though. In no particular order, Ho-Sang (if available), Marcus Petersson, Brendan Lemieux, and Anton Karlsson. I think if your guy Hunter Smith is available in the 3rd round I'd be okay if Ronnie took a chance.

thanks for posting this. it will be interesting following this kid to see how it all works out for him.

Yep, I hope he falls pretty far and proves a lot of people wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->