Post-Game Talk: Play 1 period, get 1 point. Panthers lose 3-2 in a shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
No. But I read this thread. Other teams gets chance = we are being dominated. We have possession = well, that is to be expected.
Ya notice this too. How many one timers did we get right in the hasmarks infront? If we allowed those chances our d is god aweful Matheson ekblad yandle all suck and we r soft. We get those chances but buffalo is still well coached and Kruger has them playing as a 5 man unit. Mind boggling

Reactions: I am not exposed

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Ya notice this too. How many one timers did we get right in the hasmarks infront? If we allowed those chances our d is god aweful Matheson ekblad yandle all suck and we r soft. We get those chances but buffalo is still well coached and Kruger has them playing as a 5 man unit. Mind boggling
People need to watch other non-panther games

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
People need to watch other non-panther games

watched the avs/bruins the other night. brilliant hockey. compete, execution at both ends, goaltending...

panthers are nowhere right now comparatively. the most generous explanation i can come up with is that the new coaching has them overthinking things. losing battles, races to pucks, coughing pucks up... they look slow. i don't feel any confidence coming them either on the ice or in their interviews.

that would be understandable. maybe even predictable (if disappointing).

this might be my bias but it also feels like are in shock a bit. they're all young and, imo, immature and probably read too many articles about how this was their year and thought the rest of the league would just roll over for them.

it's certainly possible, maybe even probably, they'll pull it together. but again, we're behind the 8 ball early.

Reactions: PanthersHockey1

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
watched the avs/bruins the other night. brilliant hockey. compete, execution at both ends, goaltending...

panthers are nowhere right now comparatively. the most generous explanation i can come up with is that the new coaching has them overthinking things. losing battles, races to pucks, coughing pucks up... they look slow. i don't feel any confidence coming them either on the ice or in their interviews.

this might be my bias but it also feels like are in shock a bit. they're all young and, imo, immature and probably read too many articles about how this was their year and thought the rest of the league would just roll over for them.

it's certainly possible, maybe even probably, they'll pull it together. but again, we're behind the 8 ball early.
You’re missing the point. There’s an unrealistic expectation of perfection or close to perfection and some nights even good teams have bad games

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
You’re missing the point. There’s an unrealistic expectation of perfection or close to perfection and some nights even good teams have bad games
No, I think zeroG makes a great point. The individual players have the speed and then skill set, we are definitely competitive on paper. But something is going wrong while on ice.

Carolina has been able to take that next step where everyone is on board, playing the same system. Hockey requires people to try to execute their positioning and skating in a deliberate manner, as dictated by the system/coach. Good execution of a given system, almost any system, leads to a better result. Passes connect. Players become open at critical times. PP clicks, PK is effective. Less mistakes. Because the system is built with other team’s pressure in mind.

Bruins and Carolina as examples have been able to pull all players on the same page, executing a plan, and probably a fairly simple plan that everyone can learn fairly expediently. It takes time, so I agree that we need to give this Panthers team time as well, but we should be able to expect that the effort be there night in and night out.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
No, I think zeroG makes a great point. The individual players have the speed and then skill set, we are definitely competitive on paper. But something is going wrong while on ice.

Carolina has been able to take that next step where everyone is on board, playing the same system. Hockey requires people to try to execute their positioning and skating in a deliberate manner, as dictated by the system/coach. Good execution of a given system, almost any system, leads to a better result. Passes connect. Players become open at critical times. PP clicks, PK is effective. Less mistakes. Because the system is built with other team’s pressure in mind.

Bruins and Carolina as examples have been able to pull all players on the same page, executing a plan, and probably a fairly simple plan that everyone can learn fairly expediently. It takes time, so I agree that we need to give this Panthers team time as well, but we should be able to expect that the effort be there night in and night out.
Not what I’m talking about though

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

I actually think this happens a lot. That's where the coach comes in. And I think if nothing else, Q will definitely make them face reality one way or another.
But like I've said before, this was never going to be a smooth ride. Some of these teams that are going good early or whatever, don't necessarily mean that they will win anything in the end. Maybe their troubles come late instead of early.
I'd rather for if the team does look good, for it to be real, and not a mirage. A lot of the time, that takes some time.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Yeah I mean Ekblad said we're the team to beat this year... how did that work out lmao. What a stupid thing to say when they haven't proven anything.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah I mean Ekblad said we're the team to beat this year... how did that work out lmao. What a stupid thing to say when they haven't proven anything.

These guys are over their heads with how they approach competing in this league. They think that after Dale has acquire couple of new players and invited Q to coach, all they have to do is to lace up their skates and other teams bend over in front of them. Not specifically their fault since Dalé has compared his rebuild to the one Hawks had: Math is the new Keith and Guds was supposed to be Cats' Seabrook. It's just a one big delusional bunch and the reality is slapping them into their faces when they actually have to be superior in comparison to other teams. The other example is how all of these players were foaming about how they can't wait to get the season started... so that we can watch you finding ways to lose? It's really a merry-go-round of excuses.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
We’ve played Tampa, an undefeated Carolina who will like make ECF, and a red hot Sabres team. I’m not going to worry much yet. The Carolina game was trash but other than that we have been competitive. SO is a coin flip.

I don’t like these excuses. So who should we be beating? Only Ottawa? Minnesota? We should be better than how we’ve played thus far and I’m not ok with justifying it by saying these three teams just so happen to be significantly better than us. Because I don’t think they really are.

Reactions: Vilam and jvr32

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

sure, but we’ve been saying this team is young and needs to learn how to win for the last how many years? I’m tired of it. Barkov is in his 7th season. Ekblad his 6th. Huberdeau his 8th. Hoffman and Dadonov are both older. Yandle is a vet. Connolly is a vet, Stralman, Sceviour. Trocheck is in his 6th season.

when will these guys not be young anymore? When they’re all 35?

plenty of other teams have loads of young guys and it doesn’t seem to be an issue. Carolina isn’t a team full of vets. Neither is buffalo and neither is Tampa.

Reactions: jvr32

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Well that's Ekblad. Big mouth, minimal skill. He runs him mouth more than any mediocre players I've ever seen.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don’t like these excuses. So who should we be beating? Only Ottawa? Minnesota? We should be better than how we’ve played thus far and I’m not ok with justifying it by saying these three teams just so happen to be significantly better than us. Because I don’t think they really are.
I agreed with your whole post 100%.... until the last sentence.

There’s no EXCUSE for any other teams to be significantly better than us. There’s a very rational reason why some are though.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada

I think you misunderstand, of course we should be better than we have been, but we shouldn’t be surprised to come out the gate with a few losses to teams that are genuine contenders especially under a new coach and a Barkov that seems to be lagging IRL. They aren’t significantly better but the result isn’t exactly surprising, it’s frustrating and I’m disappointed but not entirely surprised is what I’m trying to say.

Of course it’s never enough to accept the fact that they are simply better but I think I’d be more worried had we been smacked by Ottawa than say Carolina.

It’s still early. I know thats what we always say...but such as it is. Look at Edmonton that roster is hot garbage but their schedule has been easy, way too early to tell.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
wait, isn’t that what I said? :laugh:
Hmmm .... I read your comment’s last line to mean “some top teams aren’t significantly better than us”.

I’m saying some top teams actually ARE significantly better than us, but there’s no excuse for it.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

oh... yeah i got that you were making that point but i think i went off on a riff... yes, i agree, this is a game of mistakes and even in that bruins/avs game, you saw them. it's really satisfying to watch teams play attentive defense as a 5 person unit, covering for one another when those mistakes happen.

and you know, that style of play also helps your offense...

sure, but we’ve been saying this team is young and needs to learn how to win for the last how many years? I’m tired of it. Barkov is in his 7th season. Ekblad his 6th. Huberdeau his 8th. Hoffman and Dadonov are both older. Yandle is a vet. Connolly is a vet, Stralman, Sceviour. Trocheck is in his 6th season.

when will these guys not be young anymore? When they’re all 35?

plenty of other teams have loads of young guys and it doesn’t seem to be an issue. Carolina isn’t a team full of vets. Neither is buffalo and neither is Tampa.

for sure.

what i've been saying for years though is that there is a real deficit with this group when it comes to playing sound hockey at this level. they've coasted with little accountability for years. guys like tro, ek, matheson, even barkov.

i'll mention it again - boughner was reported to have told friends he was shocked at how poor some of our guys' fundamentals were. i know, after working with deboer (who hired him right back), he understands what it takes. he just was unable to break the bad habits, to establish some level of accountability.

the *hope* was that someone of Q's stature would be able to do that. but the reality is he can't do much in the one or two weeks between picking the roster and opening the season.

establishing accountability and an identity will have to play out in both the coaches' and the players' response to the successes and failures that we see on the ice as the season moves along. we just have to hope that starts happening soon and then accelerates.

that said, i think there's a chance it just won't happen. Q isn't a magician and he can't go out there handle the puck and check for these guys. that's scary to consider.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
oh... yeah i got that you were making that point but i think i went off on a riff... yes, i agree, this is a game of mistakes and even in that bruins/avs game, you saw them. it's really satisfying to watch teams play attentive defense as a 5 person unit, covering for one another when those mistakes happen.

and you know, that style of play also helps your offense...

for sure.

what i've been saying for years though is that there is a real deficit with this group when it comes to playing sound hockey at this level. they've coasted with little accountability for years. guys like tro, ek, matheson, even barkov.

i'll mention it again - boughner was reported to have told friends he was shocked at how poor some of our guys' fundamentals were. i know, after working with deboer (who hired him right back), he understands what it takes. he just was unable to break the bad habits, to establish some level of accountability.

the *hope* was that someone of Q's stature would be able to do that. but the reality is he can't do much in the one or two weeks between picking the roster and opening the season.

establishing accountability and an identity will have to play out in both the coaches' and the players' response to the successes and failures that we see on the ice as the season moves along. we just have to hope that starts happening soon and then accelerates.

that said, i think there's a chance it just won't happen. Q isn't a magician and he can't go out there handle the puck and check for these guys. that's scary to consider.

A consideration that most hopeful fans aren't touching right now. This team is closer to a 13th place finisher in the East than it is to a playoff team. And that hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->