Pre-Game Talk: Planning for the playoffs success???

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I have kind of been sitting in the weeds and analyzing this teams style of play this season.

What i have been keeping and eye on was general player strengths as opposed to the teams coaching style.

The first thing I believe you can recieve unanimous agreement on among us leafers is that our team speed is as good any team and better than most.

Secondly we will likely all agree that we are very skilled and rank among the best with a very limited physicality aspect.

Third we have a solid to very elite top 10 goaltending singularly and as a pair in freddy and sparks.

#4 we have a defensive weakness and consistency problems to our game.

Five, we have elite centers.

What would it take in your view to bring this all together for a successful playoff that would give is the best chance to win against any opponent and ultimately win a cup???

I sinply believe the the stretch pass style works with our speed but it only has to be used with a defensive twist by collapsing it back a bit towards our zone and center ice and using less of the neutral zone and possibly out manning teans in our half of the rink.

I think we can suck team in to getting caught by our speed in a defensive style hybrid of what we play now.

I think we cheat to much offensively and get caught and burned more than we have to be burned when the puck hets turned over.

Basically I'm saying we need the same style with better puck support in a tighter pattern towards being available defensively quicker and utilization of our speed by counter attacking turnovers from opponents by our improved defensive play.

Would this possibly be the machine Babcock could manage to instill in the group???

I would very much be interested in reading some ideas others have on how we can improve as a team going down the stretch and into these playoffs.

Look forward to reading your takes cheers! Just very interested in views on our playing style. Definitely not implying my idea is right! Thats just my read on it and i fully expect some interesting ideas in response.

Last edited:

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
It makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing.

I think we need to work harder on back checking and use our speed to beat them to the puck in the defensive zone.

Not every zone exit has to be a stretch pass, sometimes just getting out of the zone would be the better option

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Thanks and you are welcome. Our zone exits are predictable at present but adding a wrinkle or two should help to keep teams guessing more and possible keep them back while we out man them defensively on turnovers in our half of the ice.

Maybe they will get caught cheating up more instead of hanging back waiting for our stretch pass.

Maybe it opens up ice in all three zones at different points of a game. We definitely want them expecting the stretch pass but not ever lnowing when.

Presently its the go to every time;))

Cheating opponents defensively to counter with speed is a balance i would like

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad