Planning a trip to Helsinki & Jokerit 2018

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Hi team,

I'm planning a visit to Helsinki next august/ september ( a midweek /10 days).
I'm traveling with my 2 year old son ( at that time) and was wondering if you could recommend some good parks, attractions, venues, or places to go with him.

As well s a good hub to stay, central in the city, close to green area's and not to far from the hockey rink.

Many thanks.

Reactions: 4th Line Beast

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Welcome to Helsinki! Here are few suggestions, please be sure to ask more if you need to.

Suomenlinna fortress is a must see if you are a first timer in Helsinki, I would reserve a whole day for it. Seurasaari is another place to visit, basically on outdoor museum, fun for an afternoon, won't cost you anything. Maybe not that exciting as Suomenlinna though. Mustikkamaa is a nice island park and from there you can go to the zoo if you are into that kind of stuff.

Hotel Arthur in the city center is a pretty good hotel to my understanding, my mother's friend's family has stayed there few times when they have visited Helsinki and to my knowledge have had no complaints. There are few parks next to that hotel and Jokerit's home rink is not far from the center, less than 10 minutes by train (another 10 minutes by foot from the train stop) or 20-30 minutes by tram or bus depending on the traffic, so no matter where you are staying, you won't be very far away from the rink. Also, Helsinki has a lot of parks and green areas so you won't ever be far away from those either.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Sweet, do you have any indoor suggestions (in case the weather is not on our side) and could you recommend some good place to eat local food ( no burgers etc...) who are family friendly?

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
Sweet, do you have any indoor suggestions (in case the weather is not on our side) and could you recommend some good place to eat local food ( no burgers etc...) who are family friendly?
Trust me, the weather won't be on your side :D

The national museum of Finland is nice if you haven't visited it before, you'll learn everything there is to know about us.

Imo there isn't really a strong Finnish food culture, the restaurants serve the usual well known food.
You could probably find some "niche" places where they serve moose and reindeer etc. but Idunno

If you feel for some Finnish fast food then Lihapiirakka (meat pie) is your best shot, usually served in small food stands etc.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Your best shot at "local" food is probably at some restaurant that has a lunch buffet. More traditional Finnish foods are not a la carte -stuff (mostly because they are stews, soups and cassaroles which take hours to prepare in the oven).

The weather will 95% sure suck, but I believe users who live in Helsinki are able to point you to good indoor locations.

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
It's very hard to tell really, last year it was 20 + °C until late september but this year it got cold in August

You won't need your thickest coat at least

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I don't think that the weather will be that bad honestly. There are bound to be few nice days but it's definitely good to have few indoor activities planned out. Good idea is to plan your stay so that you have plan A and plan B, so if it rains you can be somewhere indoors and when the weather is nice/bearable, be outside. Basic sightseeing tours are good in my opinion and just walking around town is fun aswell. National museum was a good suggestion, these are other good museums in the center tool but I don't know if the 2 year old will enjoy art or design museum. Natural history museum was fun for me as a kid at least. Sealife is a nice aquarium so that could be fun but it's not that Finnish. It's actually a bit hard trying to come up with indoor activities for turists with a kid, if you have any ideas what kind of things you could be interested let us know, it makes suggesting easier.

I don't agree with the lack of food culture, sure there are a bunch of restaurants that serve generic food but that's everywhere. Finnish food might not be as exciting as in some other places but it does exist. Restaurant Kaarna, Lappi, Savotta and Aino serve mainly Finnish food, although some of those might be a bit expensive. Trust me there are others, google is your friend and once you get to Helsinki, I'm sure the hotel staff is happy to help you out.

Reactions: 4th Line Beast

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
With kids..
Ice skating in the middle of town, next to the railway station is nice. Dress warmly and take a bus to Luukki or Nuuksio, walk in the forest and fry some sausages?
There’s always the zoo

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
For Finnish food I suggest "Konstan Möljä", which has a buffet of traditional Finnish foods to sample.

If you have enough time a boat trip to Estonia can be fun, or a sight seeing cruise around Helsinki. And there are nice saunas to visit and an outdoor pool in the middle of the city.

English
Allas Sea Pool

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Personally I think that late August/early September is the best time to visit Helsinki or Finland in general. The weather is still good, days are long and most people have already had their holidays, so there's less of a crowd during the daytime in parks etc. Sure, it might rain a little now and then but the rain is never really heavy in Finland.

I echo the recommendations regarding Suomenlinna. There are also other notable former military islands, such as Vallisaari and Isosaari, that have recently been opened to public. You get a stunning view to the Baltic Sea from these islands and they also have interesting greenery, old military buildings and such. If you want to sample Finnish food, the Old Market Hall next to the Market Square is a good place to start (if a little touristy but it's frequented by locals too). There are also nice parks nearby (Tähtitorninvuoren puisto, Kaivopuisto and Meripuisto).

Riding the tram is a fun way to explore Helsinki and the toddler might like it as well. Lines 2 and 3 are known as sightseeing trams as they do a circular loop with many interesting sights on the way. There's also a vintage tram (built in 1909) going around the historic centre during summer.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
If you have time you could take a trip to Turku/Porvoo, 2/1 hours away from Helsinki. Porvoo probably has the most preserved Old Town in Finland. Turku is the oldest city in Finland and has a lot of historical sites and museums. While it's known as the shithole of Finland for some reason it is very nice place during summer/early autumn.

The Right Price

May 9, 2010
Hello!

Unsure that there will be a lot of hockey going on in August. Some pre-season games at most. The FEL starts in mid-September and KHL a little bit earlier than that.

The weather is not an issue in August/September. Although it can vary quite a bit. It can range between 12-25 Celsius.

The center of the city is located on the peninsula where the main railway station is.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Champions Hockey League games are likely on in August. Those will be placed in Jyväskylä, Oulu, Turku and two other cities (which will be known by the end of semi-finals at latest)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not sure if you visited Finland... ;)

I have. Maybe it's because you're a tourist, folks are friendly . And as a tourist you maybe you're more outgoing too.

In China, I'm a "superstud" (maybe in my own mind). Tall, white, with a beard, English speaking. Women of all ages (and some guys too) want to meet you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad