GWT: PL Week 12

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
To be fair, just because they were bought during Mourinho's tenure doesn't mean they're Mourinho's buys.

If you’ve seen my post history you know I haven’t only blamed Mou for the state of the club. I think it’s clear who has been a Mou buy and who’s been a board buy.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If you’ve seen my post history you know I haven’t only blamed Mou for the state of the club. I think it’s clear who has been a Mou buy and who’s been a board buy.

I'm sure. My quoting you and comment wasn't necessarily directed at you personally but rather a general statement. Managers tend to get all the credit for transfer market dealings when that often enough shouldn't be the case.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I never said he should have done it or that it doesnt make him dickish. I just think anyone calling for a 'hard tackle' or trying to hurt him because of it is dumb.

I didn’t call for a hard tackle, I said he’s lucky Fellaini didn’t do it since fellaini has had a streak of aggressive play in the past

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Took me a long time to watch the game today.

Shaqiri should start every game. A player I never thought could play in midfield who could turn out to be as good as we've had in that role. He also just started playing in this spot. I thought he'd be a wildcard type player or something like that, not remotely a consistent presence to this degree.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Shaqiri should start every game.

Liverpool midfield is built on workers and runners. It's a double edged sword, if the press works and the ball flow to the front 3 is fast enough, they're a handful for everyone. If they get involved in a prolonged midfield battle, they're in trouble (meaning mostly against other top teams, domestically or in Europe).

Shaqiri is not the answer in that case, they'd get ripped to shreds. Keita might be, when he gets accustomed to the faster game and is fully fit.

But Shaqiri just might be the right fit to put away inferior teams in the EPL.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Going back to the beginning of the thread Salah was not offside.

Can't see the moment of pass, due to poor quality of this video, so can't say was it offside or not.
That "goal" shouldn't of counted to begin with, because Mitrovic was obviously onside, for good 20-30 cm's.

BS call by the sideline buffoon, but that's ancient history now, can't dwell on that anymore.
Fulham (Sessegnon) had their chance on a breakaway when it was 0-0, Sessegnon beat the goalie,
but couldn't put the ball in, would of been a complete different match from there on.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Can't see the moment of pass, due to poor quality of this video, so can't say was it offside or not.
That "goal" shouldn't of counted to begin with, because Mitrovic was obviously onside, for good 20-30 cm's.

BS call by the sideline buffoon, but that's ancient history now, can't dwell on that anymore.
Fulham (Sessegnon) had their chance on a breakaway when it was 0-0, Sessegnon beat the goalie,
but couldn't put the ball in, would of been a complete different match from there on.

You can pause and see the ball in the air with Salah still being onside, so yeah.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

He was? Yeah, I don't think so.

Z0k26TG.jpg

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

It was really, really close.
Honestly, I think you need a computer to decide it on this one, it's THAT close. Not obvious either way.
I'd say it maaaaybe was onside, as Robertson's foot is a bit behind him, and Mitrovic's arm doesn't count for an offside call.

But either way, it's so, so close.

20tov8l.jpg

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think Mitrovic was just offside as I think his shoulder is a tiny bit closer to the line in the grass that's at the penalty spot than Robertson's back foot, and that reply shows Salah was onside. Salah looked so offside because the defender was trying to step up and mistimed it so by the time the camera panned a bit Salah was 5 yards beyond him.

I still stand by the fact that the ref shouldn't have allowed Allison to take the free kick from where he did. The free kick should have been taken from the spot Mitrovic was at when the ball was played, but Allison took it from ~10 yards back with the specific purpose of catching Fulham off guard.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Mitro looks onside to me. Super close though.

That said, I don't like that the offside rule includes things like the shoulder - would it not be so much simpler if it was the placement of the feet?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It was really, really close.
Honestly, I think you need a computer to decide it on this one, it's THAT close. Not obvious either way.
I'd say it maaaaybe was onside, as Robertson's foot is a bit behind him, and Mitrovic's arm doesn't count for an offside call.

But either way, it's so, so close.

20tov8l.jpg

If you gotta grab a ruler to try and draw a straight line to truly see it, I cant fault the call either way. It'so damn close.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The offside rule in general is very difficult to implement. So many moving pieces (literally) and different rules. It's one of those rules that, like handball rules, you just kind of have to accept that it's often very close and weird. It's extremely frustrating at times but until they implement VAR it won't really get resolved in big moments like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad