GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 35

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Craig Forrest is one of the worst soccer analysts on the entire planet.

I wish the TSN panel could do the Sportsnet telecasts as well.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
To me that should easily be a red card, don't care if it's in his own half or not. It's a 2 on 0 break and they're 20 yards clear of the next closest defender.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
They didn't play very well, really sloppy game.
Yeah they've mostly been in good form so it's a performance to be disappointed in especially in such a winnable fixture. Still, they're young and its getting to the end of the season. I think they're going to be very tough next season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah they've mostly been in good form so it's a performance to be disappointed in especially in such a winnable fixture. Still, they're young and its getting to the end of the season. I think they're going to be very tough next season.
If they don't manage to sign Tielemans, I think they need to replace him with another good quality midfielder though. They have a ton of good young players though.

Reactions: YNWA14

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We're running out of real estate.

If City beats United on 4/24, then our priority should clearly be Barcelona.

Put your eggs in the basket you hold

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Jordan Pickford looks like the kind of guy who's been involved in a few pub brawls before.

I'd agree his face is annoying.

However, it's only fair to point out that I recently heard an interview between the NUFC goalkeeping coach and a Geordie journalist during which both said they liked him.

Mind, I'd be surprised to learn he had three functioning brain cells.

Reactions: KJS14

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
VAR can't come soon enough. Ridiculous the amount of points dropped this season because of this crap.

The thing about the decision that robbed Perez of what would have been the game-sealing goal is you simply shouldn't need VAR to call it correctly - it's one of those instances where the gap between final defender and attacker was so obvious (even before we consider the shading of the grass giving the linesman a useful visual reference point) anyone watching should have known to keep their flag down.

But we likely end up with a cricket-style scenario where officials refuse to take responsibility for any call whatsoever, referring even open-and-shut cases, causing the length of games to increase unnecessarily and diminishing the buzz that has traditionally greeted goals.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
To me that should easily be a red card, don't care if it's in his own half or not. It's a 2 on 0 break and they're 20 yards clear of the next closest defender.

A classic 'The law is an ass' moment. Essentially, the argument against a red is that because of the physical distance between Almiron and the goal, he might have gone for a cup of coffee, or pulled out his tax returns and started completing them in the inside right channel, or done a Bugs Bunny, and taken the wrong turning at Albuquerque and proceeded to the North Pole.

Reactions: les Habs

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Very good first half from Newcastle

Indeed. Followed by a very unconvincing second half, alas. And a possible season-ending injury to Almiron. (Liverpool fans can now rest assured that if their team scores two goals during their visit at SJP they'll win. Likely, one will be sufficient).

Southampton deserves as much credit for their improvement after they switched to 4-2-3-1 at half time as they do blame for their dismal attempts to match Newcastle's 3-4-3 before the break. Stuart Armstrong appears to be a Scot who can play football, so we should probably put him in a zoo and breed more of this sadly endangered species. Nathan Redmond, meanwhile, clinched his place in my Hall of People I'm Told Can Play Football But Who've Never Played Football When I've Been Watching Them. The direct correlation between playing Redmond and finishing in the bottom half of the league comes as no surprise. (Even the one time a Redmond team finished in the top half, they regressed to the tune of 17 points from the season he was playing elsewhere).

The sight of Shane Long prompted more fear than it ever reasonably should, because it feels as though he's scored about 80% of his career goals against Newcastle (despite all the praise heaped on him for his pace and strength he's scored eight EPL goals since the beginning of the 2016-17 season. In that period of time, even Joselu has scored 11 top-flight goals (five in Spain, six in England)).

But Ayoze Perez was at his absolute best, a combination of marvellous finishing and glorious touch, the sun shone, the atmosphere sounded fabulous and even the barman in the pub I was watching the game at remembered whose turn it was and what I was drinking. 41 points means NUFC is all but mathematically safe, and so we can return to what really matters - watching the best manager in the club's history be driven out of the door by the worst owner in the club's history on account of the latter's personal inadequacy. The only questions appear to be whether Benitez's replacement will be someone utterly mediocre or someone utterly terrible, and how much money will be squandered on bad players judged to be prospects by people who've achieved far less in football than Rafa Benitez.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad