GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 35

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Savant, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Ajacied

Ajacied Stay strong Appie! ❤

Solskjaer isn't much of a tactician, either. United just need a rude make over. Such a dysfunctional side with zero chemistry.

Live in the Now likes this.
  2. Machinehead

Machinehead Adam Fox Stan

Professor
    My god, he is worse than Glen Johnson

3. Wee Baby Seamus

Wee Baby Seamus Yo, Goober, where's the meat?

He's spectacularly good, but has had attitude problems with Pep apparently, so (as a good manager does) he's staying firm. He was one of City's best players last year though, and is absolutely world class. Pep has done good work with him and I think he'll be better for it.

4. Il Mediano

Il Mediano Registered User

Well, I wanted Pool to win the league due to my love for Klopp.

don't see it happening.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    They have nothing anyone could say resembles a tactical gameplan. He was given that job far too soon.

Chimaera and Ajacied like this.
  6. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    The tactics weren't really the issue today. They were fine in the first half and the two goals have come from poor individual play (shaw and de gea too slow, fred giveaway and de gea no save)

United have had possession at times and really the difference in performance is basically what you'd expect from the difference in talent.

7. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    so i guess we really need to win the Europa League now, or hope Chelsea continues to challenge us for fifth...

8. Savant

Savant Registered User

Rodgers owes them one after his 13/14 ended. We will see.

I said both teams would win out in March though, so theres that

9. bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223 Registered User

We do both want that 5th spot.

10. I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow Fear The Mullet Sponsor

OGS needs to bring back the hair dryer treatments on his players

11. Live in the Now

Awards:
    Already did apparently. Once after the Everton game and in training a day or two later. That **** doesn't work, football has advanced so far beyond that. What works is actually knowing how you want your team to play and ensuring they drill it to the point they can do it perfectly.

Solskjaer's starting lineup was absolute nonsense, that's the first problem.

12. I Eat Crow

I don't disagree. The problem is that United don't have the horses to play how OGS wants to play.

Clean house this summer and start rebuilding. There are still players from the Moyes, LVG, and Mourinho eras here. Too many differing philosophies and styles of play. There's no game plan. Under Mourinho they reverted to hoof ball to Fellaini. Under OGS they revert to scoring only on the counter.

13. Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon Dybalascibar

When a new manager comes a lot of times there's an uptick in each individual player's game. After a series of games this fades and the new manager gets exposed if they don't know ****. This isn't terribly surprising I'm afraid.

gary69, Chimaera and Live in the Now like this.
  14. hatterson

Software Developer
    I'm not saying OGS is an amazing manager, but what's he supposed to do to prevent Fred from giving the ball away and de gea stopping making saves.

Superior tactics weren't why City scored, it was superior talent and a couple bad plays.

United were good in the first half and started the second half fine until City changed shape with Fernandino being swapped for Sane. Then Shaw and De Gea reacted terrible and they were down. Then Fred was Fred, Darmian tracked about 7 miles too far inside and De Gea didn't make a save he should make.

Once they were 2 down, United basically gave up.

15. Live in the Now

Awards:
    I think they're playing the exact same way they played with Mourinho. The difference is that in the last few months they won more 50-50's and they are now hoofing it to Rashford or Lingard instead of Fellaini.

16. Live in the Now

Awards:
    I'm thinking more large picture than this specific game. They are not doing a lot of the basic things that successful teams do. Passing triangles and moving the ball up the field are seemingly not an option. They have good attackers, so I don't understand this particular problem.

They're also disorganized defensively but that's more down to having bad players so I'll ignore that.

17. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

I dunno this wasn't the narrative earlier when I first pointed out that this team just isn't as talented as people gave it credit for (it was all Mourinho's fault). I remember a lot of 'I told you so' type posts when they were on their little winning streak.

Glad to see everyone is on the same page now.

Il Mediano likes this.
  18. The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park Registered User

What a ****show this club is. I know LVG didn’t have a good spell as manager here but I actually thought he did a solid job of getting rid of a lot of dead weight and setting up the next manager well to build a squad to his liking. Unfortunately that next manager was Mou and now we have a new manager with a completely different mindset as Mou. Very frustrating to watch.

SJSharks39 and I Eat Crow like this.
  19. I Eat Crow

What annoys me about this is that good CB's are always available, but they seemingly always target the wrong player. Laporte was there for the taking but they let their cross town rivals have him. That's true for all of their positions of need really. Bernardo Silva (whom scored the winning goal against them tonight) was there for the taking after Monaco's squad was raided. They let him sign with the cross town rivals. Instead of going for Fabinho, they opted for an old and getting older Matic whom is either injured or looks cooked when he's out there.

Three blunderous transfer windows in a row with only one positive hit or two with mostly misses is why United are in this position. That starts from the top and trickles down. The board needs to support OGS or United will continue to be stuck in the 4th-7th place limbo.

20. hatterson

Software Developer
    I've seen more of that offensively recently, although they seem to forget it under pressure which I think points to the fact that they haven't been trained in that until recently. Mourinho's attack strategy was basically "go half attack and be ready to defend" When OGS first came in he basically just had the players start running and competing. He's never really had time to properly build an offensive system. He came in right before the fixture craziness of Christmas/New Year and then wins against Arsenal, Chelsea, and PSG gave him extra fixtures on the cards.

Normally not having a ton of tactic training time isn't a big deal this time of year since you're rarely making significant changes, but in this case OGS is trying to fit an entire preseason into little 2-3 days stretches here and there and he's doing it with players who are no fit enough to play his style (which actually involves running, unlike Mourinho)

Again, I'm not saying he's amazing and this'll automatically change next season, but I've seen hints that he's trying stuff so I'm willing to give him the chance to have a training camp before folding on him. Granted, I still think they should have waited until the end of the season to make a permanent decision and the entire issue would have been avoided.

21. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Keane and Neville not being kind to Fred, Keane especially.

22. Il Mediano

Haha I don't know what y'all expected.

There are massive problems with the roster and the mental makeup of the group.

And this doesn't even cover the biggest problems at the club, which I've gone on about ad nauseam since I joined this site.

23. Il Mediano

Keane's a harsh pundit. Sometimes a bit too harsh and negative for my liking, but he often says what others won't.

Add that to the list of reasons why people don't like him, and thusly incorrectly rate him.

24. hatterson

Software Developer
    He had that one good game and I thought maybe he was turning the corner, but he's back to being absolute gutter trash.

25. The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park Registered User

And this all stems from Woodward making footballing decisions. The man is a marketing god and makes money better than any man in football, but is a complete moron when it comes to assembling a team and buying players. I’d love to keep him in a money making role and get a DOF so he doesn’t have to make any decisions on who to buy.