GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 35

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
giphy.gif

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea announcers were saying it was harsh for Brighton, but give me a break.

The tried to absolutely park the bus from minute 1. I feel zero sympathy for them even though I wish it would have worked.

Reactions: gary69

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Pochettino should be suspended as a manager when Spurs are playing these kind of teams. The game plan was for Wanyama, Alderweireld and Vertonghen to shoot from distance?

Three biggest chances outside of that one nice play leading to Alli´s shot was Rose with his right, Alderweireld slipping with his left and the goal.

Of course Spurs not being Spursy still won, but that was borderline embarrassing.

Love Pochettino. Seems like a great man and he has clearly done a lot of things right with Spurs, but he is clueless when it comes to creating chances against these kind of teams. Even Sherwood managed to set up the team better - creating chances.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
As for "the rush to sign him to an extension", who said it was a rush? Even if it was, and that's very debatable, there are good reasons to make that move when they did. By not waiting too long it gives him credibility with the squad and also signals to the squad their intentions going forward. It also allows the club to prepare for contract renewals the Summer transfer window in advance which is very important.

Saving the best for last, why should they have waited? Who is the better option for United right now who they could have signed in the Summer? Pochettino? So he's going to leave Spurs who will at this stage likely be in the CL next season on top of finish ahead of United in this year's CL?

Whee'll see what the future holds for Solskjaer. I didn't think it looks great considering the overall squad situation. There's a lot of quality there, but the majority of the best players could be gone come the start of next season. How he does between now and then probably won't be as good as how he started with United, but there will also be a lot of context to consider there one way or t other.

I do think Jose had to go. But to act like it was just him, and not the flawed squad was part of the issue I had to begin with. Part of whether or not Ole's going to do well is related to his squad problems, and probably more so who they actually hire for his DoF position. I just don't think that Ole is the guy with much in his CV to show that he can manage that type of club. I don't think a stint at Molde, a failed one at Cardiff really prepares a guy to run a club that massive. In my mind, he came in, was a breath of fresh air for what was a stale lockerroom that hated Jose, and that got him his initial run. I just don't think he's the guy you want to hook the wagons to without much showing he is ready for a full time of it. For what it stands, three guys with much better track records have failed for United, and at this point, if they don't go out and get a top level football guy picking and recruiting players, it won't matter if they have Ole or some dude off the street setting the lineup.

I concede there's something to showing the squad who is going to be around, but it doesn't look like that's led to any continued effort. They (the squad) didn't get off the bus for the match versus Everton, and at times, it looks like some of the effort issues that plagued much of Jose's time are creeping back into the squad. Did the signing of Ole make the big bump? Could that same bump in players wanting to stay have been created with a new hire of bit more quality?

I don't know exactly who is the better hire. I do think Poch is a better manager than Ole is. He's also shown he can get more out of players, has gone through some transfer window craziness, and might be interested in going to a club with a much bigger budget. If I'm at Spurs, and I'm losing Alderweireld, maybe Eriksen, and not signing a lot, maybe I'm tired of it. Where does he actually go from there with Spurs? He's maxed out in the league (and probably could go down the table), and sure, he's in the CL with a shot at a final, but what then? I also know United would pay him much more. He has the mentality to handle it, and I think he could pull it off there.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The United squad was (still is) deeply flawed entirely independent of Mourinho being the coach.
Mourinho was terrible and making even a flawed squad perform below their talent level.
Despite the United squad being deeply flawed, they've got enough talent to have a shot at the top 4 given that the other teams are also flawed. Arsenal's back line is an absolute mess, Chelsea is a jekyll and hyde team and is likely losing by far their best players, spurs have an excellent first team but are severely lacking in depth.

If United want to consistently compete for the top 4, they don't really need any changes.
If United actually want to get back to being United, they need significant overhaul.

The reason they weren't close to competing for the top 4 (like 9 or 10 points back when Jose was fired) was due to Jose. The reason they weren't (and still aren't) close to competing for a league title is because they don't have close to the talent to do it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think if the players had not quit on Mourinho they'd be in a similar position to where Ole is leading this United squad. You could see the difference in the effort that the players were putting forth as soon as Ole got the job, and it wasn't sustainable for a few reasons (character issues aside), and they had probably the most favourable stretch of games they could have for a new manager. The PSG thing was pretty impressive, but more on PSG than United IMO (similar to when PSG lost to City). Their squad is a borderline top 4 team in the current landscape, on talent and composition. I'm glad they made it look a little better for a while and hired OGS though and kept them from going out and getting someone like Blanc. I don't think they're going anywhere great next season.

Also I hate all these dumb memes about Liverpool supporting United today. I'm not supporting them. I hope it's a brutal draw that completely taxes both teams, and I want City to drop points, but there is no support there.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Read this recently, found it interesting and think it touches on some of what is being talked about here, re: United:
No Grass in the Clouds

Most relevant passage:
"United were getting incredibly lucky. In the first 11 games in the Solskjaer era, they scored 26 goals on just 20.8 expected goals, and they’d allowed just seven on 13 xG. In the Palace match, United were outshot, 17-13, and the expected goals total also favored the hosts: 1.7 to 1.0. Look back at the highlights, and you’ll see three United goals and three impressive, tight-angle, tough-to-replicate finishes. Great plays by talented players, but not the kinds of things you can rely on, week after week."

As a Spurs fan, I thought Spurs played one of their best games of the season against United in January. Still they lost it 0-1. Them's the breaks sometimes for sure, but I think that match has been pretty emblematic of the Ole era. It was a win, but it easily could have broke the other way.

Not complaining! I like Poch exactly where he's at and pray United give Ole a long leash. :)

Reactions: YNWA14 and Chimaera

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As good of a result Arsenal was going to get from the Burnley/Chelsea match up. You gotta beat Wolves, it's going to be the toughest game of the season, but you cannot draw or lose today.

Reactions: robertmac43

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Oh my God and Young is going to be playing wingback with Darmian as the third CB.

Darmian is going to be abused so hard by City's left side attack and Young is going to be spectacular at guarding like 20 yards of open space that Sterling has long since run past.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So speaking of squad quality, looking at these two teams I see maybe 2 positions where a United player could play for City.

Pogba instead of Gundogan in midfield and Luke Shaw instead of Zinchenko at LB. Maybe Lindelof instead of Kompany, but that's a bit of a reach. De Gea is a better overall keeper than Ederson, but the way city plays Ederson's distribution is better for them than De Gea's shot stopping would be.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
15 mins in and all the possession in the world for Arsenal, got to do something with it now..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad