GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 35

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'm enjoying the Blues game. Sunday we're hosting Man U which should be fun. Man U is our last league game on NBCSN this season.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Congrats to Burnley and their fans.

If I read it right, we're 7/4 home favorites over Man U on Sunday.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Pleased with the result. Even after losing to f***ing Crystal Palace, Arsenal is still fairly well positioned to make in into the CL one way or another. A couple of tough road games the next two matchweeks. Away against Burnley should be a win, although this matchweek's results shows the potential folly of counting on that. Brighton is also worrisome only in that they will likely be fighting for their relegation lives.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Each team has major questions for the top 4 run.

Spurs have extra fixtures and only about 3 healthy players.
Chelsea have a couple touch matches (away at United, away at Leicester, hosting Watford between their EL tie)
Arsenal have three away matches against decent teams and have been brutal on the road. Their easiest match is the home game but that's also between the EL ties against Valencia.
United host City and then Chelsea. Basically guaranteed to drop points between those two and could easily put up 2 losses.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Each team has major questions for the top 4 run.

Spurs have extra fixtures and only about 3 healthy players.
Chelsea have a couple touch matches (away at United, away at Leicester, hosting Watford between their EL tie)
Arsenal have three away matches against decent teams and have been brutal on the road. Their easiest match is the home game but that's also between the EL ties against Valencia.
United host City and then Chelsea. Basically guaranteed to drop points between those two and could easily put up 2 losses.
Yeah, it wouldn't be a big stretch at all to predict that Tottenham drops points to Bournemouth and Everton, Arsenal drops points to Wolves and Leicester, United loses to City and draw Chelsea, and Chelsea drops points to Watford or Leicester. I'm just happy Arsenal controls its own destiny.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
hold on let me update my crappy table

This doesn't count scenarios like teams playing each other:

Liverpool - 1-2
City - 1-2
Tottenham - 3-6
Chelsea - 3-6
Arsenal - 3-6
United - 3-6
Everton - 7-15
Watford - 7-15
Leicester - 7-16
Wolverhampton - 7-16
West Ham - 7-17
Crystal Palace - 7-17
Newcastle - 7-17
Bournemouth - 7-17
Burnley - 7-18
Southampton - 9-18
Brighton - 11-18
Cardiff - 15-19
Fulham - 18-20
Hudddersfield - 19-20

So the tl;dr is that basically everyone in the Everton through Burnley group can flip around although that trims a lot if you include reasonable goal difference (ie, Burnley is safe unless they lose 17 goal differential to Cardiff in the space of 3 games) and teams playing each other (ie Everton can't actually finish 15th since Palace and Bournemouth play each other and thus both can't get above them)

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
So Zola did the press conference instead of Sarri and essentially said that Sarri was down there to ask Friend to tell his players to get back in position:
Maurizio has been sent off while he was trying to help Kevin (Friend, the referee), to tell our players to get into position. Kevin misinterpreted that and sent him off so he is very unhappy about it

Subtext being that the language gap caused a problem. Honestly, wouldn't shock me if this were actually true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->