PL Matchweek 8

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
The only team that seems to be managing it so far this season spent half a billion quid on their new manager. Usually that will do it.

Of course if Liverpool could spend the same amount of money it wouldn't bother you one jot. The hypocrisy of football fans is staggering. Once upon a time Manchester City fans would decry the spending of their neighbours but now turn a blind eye to the oil money pumped into their club.

As for bogus decisions ? Liverpool of course never get any. Always the poor victims. Once again another facet of the football fan and more so in particular those that follow the so called PL elite . That their teams are special and are owed decisions. This facet is being one eyed. Always pointing out and imagining wrongs done to their team (usually in the wake of a defeat) while turning a blind eye when the same things benefit their own side. Or criticizing other teams for being defensive or not playing total football. If only those teams could also spend hundreds of millions perhaps they might be able too as well.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Tottenham who the only good team they've played so far is Chelsea?

United who also spent at least 300 million in two years makes my point pretty well.

Teams almost always finish where they finish based on how much money they spend.

So we just continue to get more and more excuses?

How many good teams has anyone played 8 games into the season?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So we just continue to get more and more excuses?

How many good teams has anyone played 8 games into the season?

Cmon dude. The schedule isn’t balanced. It’s not an excuse either obviously but Liverpool is the only top 6 team Man U has played so far while Liverpool has played Arsenal, both Manchester teams and have Tottenham next week.

Not an excuse but that’s a lousy point to make.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
But I thought Liverpool only had to worry about the bottom teams because they always do well against the top 6. EPL wanted to do them a favour.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
But I thought Liverpool only had to worry about the bottom teams because they always do well against the top 6. EPL wanted to do them a favour.

When are you going to get tired of this joke. You and Baxter say it every week. Get some new material :)

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Cmon dude. The schedule isn’t balanced. It’s not an excuse either obviously but Liverpool is the only top 6 team Man U has played so far while Liverpool has played Arsenal, both Manchester teams and have Tottenham next week.

Not an excuse but that’s a lousy point to make.

He said Tottenham specifcally not United in regards to the schedule (the United excuse was how much money they spent.) So while I guess having played Arsenal and Man U/City is slightly harder schedule it isn't so much harder to totally exaplain the issues Liverpool has had, especailly when the same issues existed last year when they played the same schedule.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
When are you going to get tired of this joke. You and Baxter say it every week. Get some new material :)

Oh I'm going to have fun with this all season if things keep going this way.

In all honesty if Liverpool stick to their plan they will be in a good place. Liverpool supporters overrated their team big time and set unrealistic expectations this season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He said Tottenham specifcally not United in regards to the schedule (the United excuse was how much money they spent.) So while I guess having played Arsenal and Man U/City is slightly harder schedule it isn't so much harder to totally exaplain the issues Liverpool has had, especailly when the same issues existed last year when they played the same schedule.

Everyone plays the same the schedule every year. And as I said it’s not an excuse. But it is unbalanced.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Talk all you want about playing top teams early but here are the results for non big club games for Liverpool.

They drew Burnley, Newcastle, watford, beat Palace 1-0, beat Leicester 3-2.

Schedule hasn’t hurt them. Their play has.

I think they’re better than their record indicates personally and they’ll be fine, but they haven’t gotten results. You need to win ugly and grind out games where it’s not going to plan. It can’t be “they didn’t wanna play today” comments from Klopp about the opponents when teams don’t come for the track meet.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

It can’t be “they didn’t wanna play today” comments from Klopp about the opponents when teams don’t come for the track meet.

I agree with this. Klopp is Teflon though despite how infuriating his comments are

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Talk all you want about playing top teams early but here are the results for non big club games for Liverpool.

They drew Burnley, Newcastle, watford, beat Palace 1-0, beat Leicester 3-2.

I think they’re better than their record indicates personally and they’ll be fine, but they haven’t gotten results. You need to win ugly and grind out games where it’s not going to plan. It can’t be “they didn’t wanna play today” comments from Klopp about the opponents when teams don’t come for the track meet.
Pretty much.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What do you mean tall tree teams ? Under Silva the ball is passed around much of the time at speed. Indeed we penned Arsenal back in their own half for the second forty five minutes. The patronizing attitude of fans who follow the so called PL elite never ceases to amaze me. It makes victory all the sweeter.

In Richarlison and Doucoure we have two gems. The former will only improve with age as will his decision making although the penalty award was rather weak. Doucoure is the fulcrum of this team. His weaknesses from last season namely his passing and ability to get into the area and shoot are being ironed out. He is a top class central midfielder in the making.
Don't think I am patronizing Watford by calling them tall trees with physical abilities. Via the eye test, that's what I see from Watford and that's how they win games. Each club has a different strength and weakness based on the squads make-up and have to cover their weakness and conduct tactics to maximize their strengths. Where am I wrong by saying that Watford is a team that relies on strength in the middle of the pitch, but has the speed and decision-making needed on the wings for counter attacks? That was an extremely low tempo game where Arsenal looked like they half-assed it for majority of the play. They deserved to lose either if the penalty call was weak or legitimate.

I'm not salty because Watford won or anything, I have Arsenal finishing around 7th to 10th so losing match ups like this accurately describes where I expect Arsenal to be. I quite like Watford, they have nothing but respect from me even how insignificant that is. Not only how they came from the championship, but how well they've built their squad to stay in the EPL, and how well they've challenged every other squad that has prolonged stays in the EPL.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Of course if Liverpool could spend the same amount of money it wouldn't bother you one jot. The hypocrisy of football fans is staggering. Once upon a time Manchester City fans would decry the spending of their neighbours but now turn a blind eye to the oil money pumped into their club.

As for bogus decisions ? Liverpool of course never get any. Always the poor victims. Once again another facet of the football fan and more so in particular those that follow the so called PL elite . That their teams are special and are owed decisions. This facet is being one eyed. Always pointing out and imagining wrongs done to their team (usually in the wake of a defeat) while turning a blind eye when the same things benefit their own side. Or criticizing other teams for being defensive or not playing total football. If only those teams could also spend hundreds of millions perhaps they might be able too as well.

Lol where did I say I wouldn't like it if Liverpool couldn't spend that money? I'd love it. Before you come at me and call me a hypocrite, learn how to read.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
LITN

You are up- who is the available striker that Liverpool can afford that they can replace Firmino with? Especially if they miss CL?

Auba if they miss CL. He seems to care about wages most, so I don't think this would matter. Werner if they don't.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No EPL teams can complain about money now. The teams are swimming in TV money.

You know that's bogus, though. There is one team with more money than everyone else by miles. Inevitably such an advantage will lead to repeated results.

I've said for ages that FSG need to leave Liverpool and be replaced by owners with more money. It is the only way for good results to be turned into consistent results.

Reactions: Chimaera

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The thing is that the sooner Klopp realizes that what he wants would suit a 4-2-3-1 better than his current 4-3-3, if only because of the way that teams are starting to set up against his style, the better. He needs a finisher/real striker at the tip with Firmino playing the 10 role behind it (which is where he should be playing anyway). Ideally a striker in the vein of a Cavani or Suarez with a very high work rate, but I'd be just as happy with a ruthless finisher (Icardi, Belotti) and someone who is decent aerially.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The thing is that the sooner Klopp realizes that what he wants would suit a 4-2-3-1 better than his current 4-3-3, if only because of the way that teams are starting to set up against his style, the better. He needs a finisher/real striker at the tip with Firmino playing the 10 role behind it (which is where he should be playing anyway). Ideally a striker in the vein of a Cavani or Suarez with a very high work rate, but I'd be just as happy with a ruthless finisher (Icardi, Belotti) and someone who is decent aerially.

I think they need to go the other way and go 442. Klopp isn’t going to drop Firmino, so they need to get a striker up there with him. The problem is that position needs a complete overhaul. I don’t think Firmino is a 10.

The problem is that if you don’t finish Champions League you go from targets like Belotti, Icardi and Werner to guys like Dembele (Celtic), Milik (coming off two ACL tears that might make him available) or someone young that doesn’t have the track record that they need. Maybe they take a shot at a guy like Sanabria who has a good youth pedigree and has been impressive coming off the bench for Betis but it’s a small pool.

Sturridge and Ings are finished. Origi clearly isn’t good enough and Solanke isn’t ready and may never be. Liverpool need to be very worried about that position. They have good wingers but no cover for them. CMs that all do the same things as each other (except Lallana), and I haven’t even talked about the Back 5 yet.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Firmino was at his most productive as a 10 in Germany.

Different system. Different league. He has been moved around quite a bit at Liverpool but he has only looked good at striker.

That being said I think we agree that LFC needs another body up front. Who that player would be is a different story and there are a lot of variables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad