PL Matchweek 8

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ozil would benefit from a move to a different league IMO.

I'm excited for the luck to normalize. I wonder what nonsense some of these clowns will post then.
Only clown here is you. Luck. Officiating.
Stop the excuses. Respect the other teams.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Klopp duped Liverpool supporters into thinking they have the best attack in the league. Salah was supposed to be the player to take their attack to the next level.

Their front three hasn't played together because of injury and suspension, so it's impossible to take an attack to anything in that scenario. You're being silly.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Firmino was supposed to beat his scoring record. 2 goals in 8 games, including one penalty. On pace for less than 10 goals. Was supposed to score more than Lacazette too. he has twice the goals in probably less minutes.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Only clown here is you. Luck. Officiating.
Stop the excuses. Respect the other teams.
Just calling it like it is. Anyone that actually watches soccer and isn't ignorant or biased (like yourself) can see it. But if you believe Watford is better all the power to you. It's not surprising in the least.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp can only be blamed for one thing here : his players can't finish because he didn't buy enough players that can finish.

Yes. Firmino is too important to him tactically so they didn’t get a real striker this summer. It’s an arms race. Man U got Lukaku, Arsenal got Lacazette; (not that Liverpool was interested in either but maybe they should have been) and those were just the teams that finished behind them. Firmino’s form has gone in the toilet since he missed the penalty vs Sevilla. While I don’t think LFC fans were outlandish to expect more goals from him this season, it’s becoming very obvious Liverpool will need to spend big money on a striker this summer. They cannot finish at all.

I was a little grumpy this morning. I hate being the early game but now I feel a little better after taking a nap. Was a little hard on Klopp but it doesn’t change the fact that Liverpool need to pick up those points that they dropped from somewhere and fast. Watford did them a favor, but they really need 3 vs Tottenham to get their season up and running again

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No kidding...
Watford has been better so far. That's what the standings say. Period.
You can play the arrogant and find excuses about your team. So far Watford has been better. Scoring in front of the goal is part of being better. Watford players finish their chances, Liverpool don't.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This is actually very funny.

Which do you want, because at some point you have to pick. Do you want Liverpool to remain defensively responsible or throw guys forward to chase a goal? Not possible to do both. Do you want to progress in the Champions League or do you want the front three players to play 90 minutes for every PL match? Because you won't get both. Do you want Liverpool to control the game and ensure they only get one scoring chance against, or do you want them to play chaotic football? You can't have both.

The only thing Liverpool needs to do is be more clinical. Klopp decided what he was going to do today, that we were going to control the game and take the point. Why? Every single time they don't they give up goals and people whine about them giving up goals, even from tackles that go off of other players and into the net.

I think they need to replace Firmino with a #9 next summer.

Other teams ssem to manage it why is Liverpool any different?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Salah is nice. But not nearly enough when your 9 isn't a finisher.

Firmino is there to make chances for Salah and Mane, but he really needs both on the field to be an effective threat.

Liverpool’s strikers are a disaster right now. Firmino can’t finish, Sturridge and Ings are finished. Origi is in Germany because he isn’t good enough and Solanke is magic beans. Also the fact that none of them can play with each other complimentary is also an issue.

Under Ferguson if United wasn’t finishing they would take off their wingers just throw more strikers on and go for the win late. I think the movement away from teams that run 442 has hurt this a bit, as it’s harder to find minutes for everyone.

Evilo (and anyone else) who are the big ticket strikers that will be available this summer? A lot of them have already made their moves within the last two seasons. For a club like Liverpool, who really needs a complete overhaul at that position, it’s tough to see who that player is, especially if they have to use a chunk of their transfer budget on a center back (if they can’t get Van Dijk in the winter it’s going to make for a very bad summer)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
They're not better they're higher in the table because of two offside goals. That said they might be better than Arsenal. Newcastle and Watford could be giving Arsenal the challenge I thought Everton would.

So much for getting results.
You're lower in the table. They're not better because of a penalty that was softer than a Liverpool defense.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I can see that argentinian striker from Inter moving, you know the guy who's worse than Giroud. He can finish once in a while. Not Firmino level, but decent enough :D

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Man what a yawn feast of a day of football. If I didn't have a DVR handy, I would have just skipped the games they were that dreadful.

I feel sorry for the United and Red fans who not only woke up, but watched every second of that match. Man United easily have the talent to put up 3 against Liverpool, but Moaninho is a trash of a manager.

Arsenal have lost to teams like Watford (tall tree teams with good counterattacking speed) all the way back to 2007, this loss is absolutely nothing new for me.

Add in all the injured players and possible even a healthy Zlatan and the "return leg" will be quite different at Old Trafford.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
No kidding...
Watford has been better so far. That's what the standings say. Period.
You can play the arrogant and find excuses about your team. So far Watford has been better. Scoring in front of the goal is part of being better. Watford players finish their chances, Liverpool don't.

Assuming you'll take the time now to acknowledge that arsenal was better than PSG last year then, right?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Just calling it like it is. Anyone that actually watches soccer and isn't ignorant or biased (like yourself) can see it. But if you believe Watford is better all the power to you. It's not surprising in the least.

Anyo watch Liverpool under Klopp and say with a straight face that ne who watches soccer has been pointing out the same issues with Liverpool for a long time now.

Can you really believe that it is luck and officials that have caused the issues for the last 3+ years?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You're lower in the table. They're not better because of a penalty that was softer than a Liverpool defense.

The penalty was just as bad as the two offside goals allowed in the season opener.

Watford has gotten four points from outright bogus stuff.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The only team that seems to be managing it so far this season spent half a billion quid on their new manager. Usually that will do it.

Tottenham and United have 4 and 7 points more in this short season so they seem to be doing just fine and last year Chelsea Tottenham and City all finished ahead of Liverpool and managed to do so quite easily, so again they seem to be managing with it much better.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Assuming you'll take the time now to acknowledge that arsenal was better than PSG last year then, right?
Haha no.
They played each other twice. PSG outplayed them twice and ended up with 2 points. PSG underachieved, which I said. Curt can't admit Liverpool is not playing well enough.
I certainly didn't blame luck or reffing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I can see that argentinian striker from Inter moving, you know the guy who's worse than Giroud. He can finish once in a while. Not Firmino level, but decent enough :D

I like Icardi, but don’t know if he is squeaky clean enough for Liverpool. That is the player that I think would be best as well from a talent level. To be devils advocate I am not sure he is a fit with Klopp, but goals tend to make people feel better about these things.

They need someone ready made. They could try and get someone young like Dembele or Dolberg but that’s really risky. Werner would be fun but I don’t think RBL is going to want to deal with LFC again (or vice Versa). I don’t think Belotti leaves Italy. I don’t think they can afford Griezmann or Cavani. I don’t see them rolling a dice on a guy like Martinez either so yeah Icardi is who I came up with too.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Tottenham and United have 4 and 7 points more in this short season so they seem to be doing just fine and last year Chelsea Tottenham and City all finished ahead of Liverpool and managed to do so quite easily, so again they seem to be managing with it much better.

Tottenham who the only good team they've played so far is Chelsea?

United who also spent at least 300 million in two years makes my point pretty well.

Teams almost always finish where they finish based on how much money they spend.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Man what a yawn feast of a day of football. If I didn't have a DVR handy, I would have just skipped the games they were that dreadful.

I feel sorry for the United and Red fans who not only woke up, but watched every second of that match. Man United easily have the talent to put up 3 against Liverpool, but Moaninho is a trash of a manager.

Arsenal have lost to teams like Watford (tall tree teams with good counterattacking speed) all the way back to 2007, this loss is absolutely nothing new for me.

What do you mean tall tree teams ? Under Silva the ball is passed around much of the time at speed. Indeed we penned Arsenal back in their own half for the second forty five minutes. The patronizing attitude of fans who follow the so called PL elite never ceases to amaze me. It makes victory all the sweeter.

In Richarlison and Doucoure we have two gems. The former will only improve with age as will his decision making although the penalty award was rather weak. Doucoure is the fulcrum of this team. His weaknesses from last season namely his passing and ability to get into the area and shoot are being ironed out. He is a top class central midfielder in the making.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Belotti actually looks like a mighty good idea.

I don’t think he leaves Italy but he would be very nice. I think Icardi could go, and Belotti would go to Either of the Milan teams with their Asian money; if not go to Juventus.

If they miss CL they might have to ask their old friend Rodgers to do them a favor and sell them Dembele as a best case scenario.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is actually very funny.

I think they need to replace Firmino with a #9 next summer.

LITN

You are up- who is the available striker that Liverpool can afford that they can replace Firmino with? Especially if they miss CL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->