GWT: PL Matchweek 7

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Martial is the first choice striker

If they had proper left and right wingers, a Martial/Rashford strike pair is perfectly fine. The problem is that when one of them is playing up top, the other is playing on the left.

Greenwood is fine as a third strike option for this season, but with Martial and Rashford expected to play every game when healthy, it effectively means he’s second up for rotation.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Didn’t look like they stopped playing to me. Still they know there’s VAR so you have to finish the play anyway. Was a terrible call either way. Maguire oof.

That said I think the commentator called nailed it when he asked ‘Are we watching mediocrity? Is that was this match has become?’ at some point in the second half. I thought Arsenal would look better than they have this season though they may sneak into the top 4 by virtue of others stumbling.

Young was kinda jogging in and De Gea just kinda waved at the ball but didn’t really go for a save. Granted I doubt it would have made a difference, it just shows how bad the linesman was on that play.

As far as Maguire, I’m not really upset he played him onside. That type of play happens a ton of times in a game, you’re just not expecting your left back to perfectly send a pass to the other team when there’s effectively no pressure on anyone.

Reactions: Jussi

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I'm willing to give somewhat of a pass to the sides for poor ball control given the deluge the match was played in. Still, neither side was convincing. That said, Arsenal is in fourth having played 3 top 6 sides, including 2 on the road. The goal they gave up was a broken play finished with a wonder strike, so can't be too upset about that.

You can see the difference in the side when Laca is in versus when he is out. He strings together so many more chances. Hopefully he is fit soon. You could also see that Chambers and Kola, while they didn't play poorly, especially defensively, didn't offer as much going forward as Tierney/Bellerin will. Arsenal has a lot of guys who are good at getting a yard of space in the box, even if the finishing hasn't been there yet. Add in service from those wingbacks and Arsenal could look a lot more dangerous.

Meanwhile, in the midfield, Guendouzi again impressed. He was ever present. Hopefully the stats back this up and it isn't just me noticing the hair. We looked a lot more compact with Torreira in there. The announcers commented on how there seems to be no larger disconnect between fan and locker room perception throughout the EPL than that with our captain and they were right. Xhaka was again unimpressive. He played a couple decent long balls and was fine defensively with Torreira covering, but looked a mess when Torreira was pulled out. Still not sure why the midfield going forward isn't three of Torreira, Willock, Guendouzi, and Ceballos, even accounting for the latter's rough showing today.

Ultimately, you never complain about a point at Old Trafford, but given the state of Man United, I couldn't help but feel like the performance was wanting.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Feels like I've watched the same game all season with this team.

United go ahead, then a someone on the defence makes a n unnecessary/unexpected mistake and it's tied.

I've seen United's xG numbers for this season's Premier League matches and they're kind of line with that. United underperform on shots on goal vs goals scored while the opponent overperforms.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It should have been, but Friend was bouncing between easy yellows and letting everything go all match, Xhaka got lucky that his first was on a let everything go streak.

I think Lingard was in the same spot.

There was also those non-call and not-called corners. First one went off James, second off Luiz. First one was a corner for United, the latter a goal kick.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Young was kinda jogging in and De Gea just kinda waved at the ball but didn’t really go for a save. Granted I doubt it would have made a difference, it just shows how bad the linesman was on that play.

As far as Maguire, I’m not really upset he played him onside. That type of play happens a ton of times in a game, you’re just not expecting your left back to perfectly send a pass to the other team when there’s effectively no pressure on anyone.

I don't know which side he would've played if he had been fit, but that's play AWB doesn't make. Neither would Young. Tuanzebe already "hinted" earlier in the half that he's mistake prone with the ball. He's a rock without the ball and could defensively (haven't seen him really tested at CB, his more natural position) be that maybe but with the ball...Not someone I'd pass the ball to.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
United go ahead, then a someone on the defence makes a n unnecessary/unexpected mistake and it's tied.

I've seen United's xG numbers for this season's Premier League matches and they're kind of line with that. United underperform on shots on goal vs goals scored while the opponent overperforms.

The xG is mostly to do with offensive tactics, as Ole looks to attack as quickly as possible and to fire shots from everywhere, while someone like Emery tries to cycle the ball around for years in a predictable manner and literally wants to pass the ball into the net through overlaps and low cutbacks every time. Shots isn't always really a very relevant stat looking at performance.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The xG is mostly to do with offensive tactics, as Ole looks to attack as quickly as possible and to fire shots from everywhere, while someone like Emery tries to cycle the ball around for years in a predictable manner and literally wants to pass the ball into the net through overlaps and low cutbacks every time. Shots isn't always really a very relevant stat looking at performance.

:laugh: Nope.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Martial is the starting CF this season when fit. Rashford is the LW.

Another should've won game, like Wolves and Southampton. Too many lapses of concentration. Didn't create much again but gave them a goal from nothing. Obviously Tuanzebe's mistake but he's never played LB before. Rarely played RB either. Not sure why he played there.

Lingard did nothing again. Pereira was a little better, had a nice run and shot and a decent cross but still not enough.

Thought Rashford was playing injured but after the game Solskjaer said he was 1oo% fit. In that case he was crap :( Fergie would probably drop/rest him for a game or 2 like he did with young players but the lack of depth means he has to play even when off form.

McTominay and James were our best players. McTom should have scored his headed chance though.

Pogba had some good moments but might not have been 100% fit.

Xhaka should have been sent off. Pulled Lingard down off the ball when United countered before the goal. Obvious yellow. Fouled McTominay then got his first yellow fouling Greenwood which should have been his second.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Lingard did nothing again. Pereira was a little better, had a nice run and shot and a decent cross but still not enough.

Aside from being pulled back on the fast break, I cannot remember a single thing that Lingard did all game. That's not good for the supposed attacking midfielder in a game when you have 56% possession.

Xhaka should have been sent off. Pulled Lingard down off the ball when United countered before the goal. Obvious yellow. Fouled McTominay then got his first yellow fouling Greenwood which should have been his second.

I've never understood why refs don't go back and give a yellow in these situations. Yes, they played advantage, but that doesn't mean it's not a yellow. Without Lingard being pulled back, he's likely in position to tap in James cross that Rashford had to chase down. Just because United scored on the ensuing mop up play doesn't mean it's not a trivially obvious yellow that should be given.

Reactions: Venkman

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
United is in close to relegation form dating back to the beginning of spring. Not good enough.

In the last 16 PL matches United are 4-5-7 for 19 points which is a 45 point pace.

Their defensive record over that stretch isn't brutal, 23 GA in 16 games for a season long pace of 55 which is about mid table.

Their offensive record is brutal though. 16 goals in 16 games. The only teams last year who had a worse rate than that were the three relegated teams and Brighton.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm happy with the point away to United, especially looking at where we stand after the tough start to the season fixture wise. From now until December 12th when we host City we have a fairly easy run of games. Leicester won't be easy but there are plenty of points to be had over the next 2 months.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Aside from being pulled back on the fast break, I cannot remember a single thing that Lingard did all game. That's not good for the supposed attacking midfielder in a game when you have 56% possession.

I've never understood why refs don't go back and give a yellow in these situations. Yes, they played advantage, but that doesn't mean it's not a yellow. Without Lingard being pulled back, he's likely in position to tap in James cross that Rashford had to chase down. Just because United scored on the ensuing mop up play doesn't mean it's not a trivially obvious yellow that should be given.
Isn’t the yellow given for stopping an attack? Therefore, if the attack isn’t stopped, no yellow

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
the point was made on the interwebs (and I think on MNF) but would even a combined roster beat Liverpool or City?

That was pretty painful for top 4 contenders.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
If ever there was a chance for one or two of "the rest" to finish top four, this season seems like it. Saturday is huge for Liverpool and Leicester.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
the point was made on the interwebs (and I think on MNF) but would even a combined roster beat Liverpool or City?

That was pretty painful for top 4 contenders.
Honestly it actually could (at least have a chance) because think about it. United’s strength is it’s backline and Paul Pogba. Arsenal’s strength are it’s forwards. Something like:

Martial-Lacazette-Auba
Pogba-Torreira-Ceballos
Shaw/Tierney-Maguire-Lindelof-AWB
De Gea

Actually listing it out maybe not. That midfield is still a weakness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->