GWT: PL Matchweek 7

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Man I like Eddie Howe as a coach. I’d like him to step up to better team like Everton or someone around that level, really think he has something that makes his team tick.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Man I like Eddie Howe as a coach.

As do I. I also really like him as a person.

Honestly, most probably hate this idea , but if United hired a legitimate DOF made Howe manager , I wouldn't hate it.

This club needs to be rebuilt , and Howe fits all the characteristics I'd be looking for if I were Woodward. Problem is, he'll likely go for a big name , and try to fix things immediately.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
As do I. I also really like him as a person.

Honestly, most probably hate this idea , but if United hired a legitimate DOF made Howe manager , I wouldn't hate it.

This club needs to be rebuilt , and Howe fits all the characteristics I'd be looking for if I were Woodward. Problem is, he'll likely go for a big name , and try to fix things immediately.

I wouldn't be entirely against going for someone like Howe at all. My only reservation with him is that he's never managed a club like United, and moving to United from Bournemouth is a huuuuugee step.

I'm expecting Zidane to replace Mou and he'll be a small upgrade. I think he'd be able to get the locker room back together and create a positive environment, but I just don't know if he quite has the ability to rebuild a team to his liking. He seems like a manager to bring in to bring a quality team to get them over that last hump than one that can build up a powerhouse.

But Howe plays attractive football and seems like he really has his head on straight when it comes to man management. I think with a good DOF he could be a good hire for a bigger name team including United. I mean I'd be more than interested what he could do with this current United squad, because what he's done with Bournemouth is nothing short of spectacular. I love watching them play and the fact that they've become a midtable team under Howe is just incredible.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Sir Alex Ferguson had only managed Scottish sides before United hired him - and in spite of his extraordinary success with Aberdeen - the powers that be at United today would probably not consider that 'enough experience' for the job.

It probably makes more sense to hire an up and comer than to get the next 'proven' guy whose flaws the whole world already knows.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sir Alex Ferguson had only managed Scottish sides before United hired him - and in spite of his extraordinary success with Aberdeen - the powers that be at United today would probably not consider that 'enough experience' for the job.

It probably makes more sense to hire an up and comer than to get the next 'proven' guy whose flaws the whole world already knows.

Well SAF almost got fired early on in his career as well. If he started managing now instead of the 80's would've been fired and never would've created the legacy that he did at United. I agree I wouldn't mind an up and coming manager but there's no way the board goes that way.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Scottish football was much different back then than it is now. They had some really quality teams up there.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
His Aberdeen team won the Cup Winners Cup beating Real Madrid in the Final and made the 1/4 Final of the European Cup a few years later, so it was definitely better then than it is now. But it was already considered a lesser league then. The success of Aberdeen under Ferguson was of course remarkable and would have recommended him for any of the top jobs in England at the time.

It just doesn't seem like United these days has the courage or conviction to go with someone who hasn't managed another mega club before.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
United in 1986 also wasn't what United is now in terms of the global brand and massive club status

True. Mind you neither was anyone else, which for example is why Barcelona's manager at the time was an Englishman whose major managerial achievement prior to joining had been losing an FA Cup final to Spurs. Yet said Englishman ended Barca's 11-year wait to win La Liga, though their coaches between 1974 and 1984 had included Michels, Weisweiler, Herrera, Lattek and Menotti.

I'm unaware of a foreign manager even being considered for one of the 'big five' jobs in English football during the 80s. Not that the post-Hysel Football League Division One would have been an especially attractive proposition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->