GWT: PL Matchweek 6

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Terrible £13.5m Shaqiri looked pretty good on Saturday.

I liked that deal as soon as I heard about it. He's maddeningly inconsistent, but for me, you can't deny that deal was terrific value.

I'd probably never want to rely on him heavily if I were running a top club , and wisely, Liverpool/Klopp are not.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He was fantastic, but Klopp said something about him not knowing the structure of the team yet. Same reason Fabinho hasn't played.

The thing is, Klopp needs to be more willing to use fresh players like Fabinho and Shaqiri even if they don't completely know the tactics. Shaqiri dominated that first half.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
My apologies, my Apple phone has a terrible auto-correct feature. A fan threw (what it looked liked) a glass beer bottle at a Crystal Palace player. They showed it on NBCSN who own the rights to the EPL.

Thanks for clarifying.

As it happens, more than one purportedly professional news website reported that 'Wan-Bissaka was struck by a bottle thrown by visiting fans'. (my emphasis). Which suggests that either the bottle was gargantuan, or the Geordies' hands were of a presidential smallness.

Reactions: bluesfan94

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thanks for clarifying.

As it happens, more than one purportedly professional news website reported that 'Wan-Bissaka was struck by a bottle thrown by visiting fans'. (my emphasis). Which suggests that either the bottle was gargantuan, or the Geordies' hands were of a presidential smallness.
From the video I saw, the bottle missed him, but it was by paltry inches. Did Wan-Bissaka do something to you lot or was done by a deprived Toon?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I would also suggest that there’s a good chance two other elements are at play. Shaqiri probably plays 80-85 Wednesday. Maybe they rested him knowing he’s going to work big minutes here and maybe play some against Napoli.

I also would suggest Klopp rather keep some options closer to the vest until they need it. Saturday involved more like four forwards with Shaqiri allowed to float between. It also was Salah more central. Why show a new look much if you might save the tape for other sides? It might work well against other teams who bunker

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Except Ramsey is not a 10 in any shape or form, which is why it makes no sense that he's being played there over Ozil. There isn't any logical reason for him to be playing that position even if we had zero 10s in the squad. And I don't like him in a double-pivot with anyone (even Torreira), because he's too unaware to play that position without getting caught up the pitch every time the other team wins the ball. He'd be great in a 4-3-3 as the CM driving play forward, but that doesn't suit the rest of Arsenal's squad. Give me:

Auba - Lacazette
Ozil
Guendouzi - Torreira - Ramsey
Monreal - Sokratis - CB* - Bellerin
Cech/Leno

*Pick any name out of a hat before the game as long as it isn't Mustafi.​
You could probably talk me into moving Monreal central and starting Kolasinac at LB

Reactions: KJS14

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I hope Fabinho finally get a start! It's ridiculous how they paid £45M for him just to give him a small cameo of couple minutes.

Klopp need to give his players a chance I know they are undefeated but he is a good player and the league cup is a perfect chance to ease him to the team. If Henderson or Wijnaldum start I will lose it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I hope Fabinho finally get a start! It's ridiculous how they paid £45M for him just to give him a small cameo of couple minutes.

Klopp need to give his players a chance I know they are undefeated but he is a good player and the league cup is a perfect chance to ease him to the team. If Henderson or Wijnaldum start I will lose it.
I wish people would stop complaining about Fabinho's playtime. Liverpool haven't lost yet this season so obviously they are doing something right, and there is no reason to rush him at all. Fabinho needs to learn a completely different playing style. He will be fine.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I wish people would stop complaining about Fabinho's playtime. Liverpool haven't lost yet this season so obviously they are doing something right, and there is no reason to rush him at all. Fabinho needs to learn a completely different playing style. He will be fine.

Well, I was never fully sold on Fabinho (and Bakayoko), but my impression of him aside - James Milner is playing the football of his life, and Hendo's their leader.
There's no shame in being a backup to them right now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well, I was never fully sold on Fabinho (and Bakayoko), but my impression of him aside - James Milner is playing the football of his life, and Hendo's their leader.
There's no shame in being a backup to them right now.
Absolutely. It would be ridiculous to disrupt that right now. There will be games.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Why would someone would go insane about a new midfielder having a hard time breaking into a team that is 7-0 on the season and not looking like paper tigers at all? It would be one thing if Fabinho had looked phenomenal in preseason and his cameos, but he hasn't. Even Keita, aside from a few bright spots, has looked off the pace a bit. Those two will need some time to get used to the team and the way the rest of our midfield is playing that is just fine. If they come good we'll be happy they're pretty fresh as the season goes on.

Shaqiri looked good against Southampton, I'm glad. Really tough 4 games ahead...but we certainly look up to it.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
From the video I saw, the bottle missed him, but it was by paltry inches. Did Wan-Bissaka do something to you lot or was done by a deprived Toon?

I've not heard of the player doing anything provocative. But, even if he had, winging a plastic bottle at him is painfully small-time behaviour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad