GWT: PL Matchweek 6

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Honestly I would look to replace Lukaku this summer. He is way too inconsistent for a top club lik United
Got into heated argument with Utd fans last year on topic of Lukaku. He stagnates an offense, utd would be more cohesive with Giroud out there.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Got into heated argument with Utd fans last year on topic of Lukaku. He stagnates an offense, utd would be more cohesive with Giroud out there.
I don't know about Giroud. I was more of thinking Dybala or Fekir as a false 9 with Martial and Bale on the sides of them :sarcasm:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Traore has so much skill and is obviously physically incredible, but wow that man has bad decision making.

A draw is the fair result here, I think.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
United with a ton of possession in the last 20 or so, but basically no pressure.

For a team with the size they had on the pitch, they were brutal with crosses. Valencia couldn’t free himself to save his life down the right and Martial seemed to be bugging up the right constantly pushing Shaw and fellaini to bad spots.

Reactions: Jussi

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
United with a ton of possession in the last 20 or so, but basically no pressure.

For a team with the size they had on the pitch, they were brutal with crosses. Valencia couldn’t free himself to save his life down the right and Martial seemed to be bugging up the right constantly pushing Shaw and fellaini to bad spots.

IMO the issue with the crosses is that only two guys were whipping in half-decent ones: Pogba and Shaw. When one of your best aerial players (I'd say he's probably ManU's second best behind Fellaini) is the one sending in the crosses, you clearly have an issue with your wingers. Also didn't help that, more often than not, when Shaw was sending them in (and many of Shaw's were really really nice) Pogba was sitting on the edge of 18 rather than getting in deep and attacking them. Pogba's fantastic in the air, but he wasn't getting involved in the scrums down low because he's one of the few guys in this squad who can actually hit a decent cross.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

IMO the issue with the crosses is that only two guys were whipping in half-decent ones: Pogba and Shaw. When one of your best aerial players (I'd say he's probably ManU's second best behind Fellaini) is the one sending in the crosses, you clearly have an issue with your wingers. Also didn't help that, more often than not, when Shaw was sending them in (and many of Shaw's were really really nice) Pogba was sitting on the edge of 18 rather than getting in deep and attacking them. Pogba's fantastic in the air, but he wasn't getting involved in the scrums down low because he's one of the few guys in this squad who can actually hit a decent cross.

I wouldn't be surprised if Young played against West Ham (will probably play on Tuesday in the League Cup game) as he's one of the best crossers on the team. Certainly better than Valencia these days.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You don't "stand up" when a player of Pogba's calibur is the question here.
Fergie didn't think much of Pogba and it was a pretty bad evaluation.

That’s not true. Ferguson knew Pogba was a special talent, but Fergie is very set in his ways and if you don’t do it his way you’re gone. Just like Beckham. Raiola was a huge part in pissing Fergie off so Fergie said fine then leave.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I wouldn't be surprised if Young played against West Ham (will probably play on Tuesday in the League Cup game) as he's one of the best crossers on the team. Certainly better than Valencia these days.

Hopefully Dalot can continue to grow so we don’t have to make a choice like a 45 year old Valencia vs Ashley Young.

Shaw on one side and Dalot on the other could be a solid setup.

Reactions: Gecklund

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I know it was a bad evaluation and I know that this is going to sound bad because it was a player of Pogba's caliber but if you are a manager that is around for 26 years, you're bound to have some bad choices. I don't think any of us are complaining though.
Oh no doubt. But when I read, Fergie would make the best of Pogba, this seems weird.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think a system like Fergie’s would make a 25 year old Pogba truly world class, but there’s really no mistaking he made a misstep with an 18 or 19 year old Pogba or whatever he was.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That’s not true. Ferguson knew Pogba was a special talent, but Fergie is very set in his ways and if you don’t do it his way you’re gone. Just like Beckham. Raiola was a huge part in pissing Fergie off so Fergie said fine then leave.
Really?
Ferguson didn't play him. Even though his midfield was extremely poor, he would never play him.
That's a fact. After that, Ferguson blamed Raiola, Raiola blamed Ferguson, people talk.
The only fact is that United didn't play Pogba, while he immediately played with Juve.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
tough call for Brighton.. probably the correct decision, imo. Murray's arm extended pretty far there.

Why VAR isn't used in the richest league in the world is beyond me , though.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The standard for Liverpool is getting high now. Really easy game today. Hopefully Shaq wasn't hurt when he was taken out.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
We need a weak, but correct, penalty to score against Brighton?

I guess its better than being down but another terrible performance so far from Tottenham.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Really?
Ferguson didn't play him. Even though his midfield was extremely poor, he would never play him.
That's a fact. After that, Ferguson blamed Raiola, Raiola blamed Ferguson, people talk.
The only fact is that United didn't play Pogba, while he immediately played with Juve.

Yes I know he didn’t. He just didn’t think Pogba was ready at that point in time, which doesn’t mean he didn’t believe in potential or ability.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Look at his midfield. There's no way he believed in him and didn't play him. And sure showed he was ready two months later.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
LOL

Why pass to one of the 3-4 guys in better position when you can try and go through 6 guys on your own.

Davies is terrible but Rose is showing why Poch saw Davies as the better option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad