GWT: PL Matchweek 5

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Liverpool can't be the favourites it's only 5 games!

Arsenal are shit even though it's only 5 games....

Arsenal's first team defence is going to be Bellerin, Holding, Luiz, Tierney. And only 1 of them played.

But keep speaking out of your asses about a club you don't know about to try and win internet points.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Liverpool are clearly not the favourites...

City has won twice in a row, until Liverpool are officially champion they cannot be the favourite.

As for Arsenal, I also feel that they have good players enough to be top 4 but they seem unorganized defensively and cannot defend to save their lives. In a sense it is very reminiscent of Man United from last year and they finished 6th

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
With Laporte injured much of the year and having the likes of Stones/Otamendi LFC are clearly in the driving seat. That’s obvious. Nico isn’t even good enough to Ben part of Argentina who suck ass. City are trying to win the treble with him. It will be a big big ask.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool can't be the favourites it's only 5 games!

Arsenal are **** even though it's only 5 games....

Arsenal's first team defence is going to be Bellerin, Holding, Luiz, Tierney. And only 1 of them played.

But keep speaking out of your asses about a club you don't know about to try and win internet points.

Maybe say that after Arsenal can get 50% possession against Watford

Reactions: robertmac43

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
His long pass success % last year was 62. That is far too high to be fluke-like.
Is there a dangerous long pass success stat that is more compelling? I mean I watch every Arsenal game and again any long pass he does is all lateral. He's made some great passes, but too far and between them with a huge chunk of mistakes to fill in the gaps.

Maybe say that after Arsenal can get 50% possession against Watford
Arsenal dominated possession for 80% of the match, so not sure you can use that stat to back up an argument.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A good picture.

Attachments

• 6C688EAA-0A9E-4644-9084-54F35BE468ED.png
    6C688EAA-0A9E-4644-9084-54F35BE468ED.png
    984.9 KB · Views: 5

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Why are people talking about possession? It's the total shots and the fact that it's usually the same culprits that make individual mistakes that is causing Arsenal to drop points.

Let's wait until the actual full first team plays before basically giving up on top 4.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is there a dangerous long pass success stat that is more compelling? I mean I watch every Arsenal game and again any long pass he does is all lateral. He's made some great passes, but too far and between them with a huge chunk of mistakes to fill in the gaps.

Nah unfortunately not. I get what you are saying, I just think its being taken too far. The guys passing is not the issue that makes Arsenal drop points, it's his terrible timing with bad challenges and mental lapses.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Why are people talking about possession? It's the total shots and the fact that it's usually the same culprits that make individual mistakes that is causing Arsenal to drop points.

Let's wait until the actual full first team plays before basically giving up on top 4.

Does not matter that the full first team is out. They have to do better in closing out games like todays.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't disagree with you that Watford deserved all three points, but that's just the end of the possession based on 20 to 25 minutes of action. Arsenal had 63% for majority of the game.

TBH if that’s true it’s actually worse than just being possessed by a bit for the entire game.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Does not matter that the full first team is out. They have to do better in closing out games like todays.

Having the full first team should help close out games like today. If Bellerin, Holding and Tierney can't help eliminate or save the team from these mistakes then Arsenal are in deep deep shit.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Having the full first team should help close out games like today. If Bellerin, Holding and Tierney can't help eliminate or save the team from these mistakes then Arsenal are in deep deep ****.

They will definitely help. But it should not madder in a game agains a team that had scored twice going into today. Arsenal should not need saving @ Vicarage Road.

All I'm saying is Burn - Dunk - Duffy as a back 3 was able to keep Watford from scoring in match week 1 and that is not the best back line in the grand scheme of things.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
They will definitely help. But it should not madder in a game agains a team that had scored twice going into today. Arsenal should not need saving @ Vicarage Road.

All I'm saying is Burn - Dunk - Duffy as a back 3 was able to keep Watford from scoring in match week 1 and that is not the best back line in the grand scheme of things.

This isn't the same Watford as that game. They have a new/returning manager.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
And? Arsenal should still find away to kill down the final 10 minutes and defend as a team.

Which would be easier if the team was at full strength at the back. The problem is that people are equating the team that played today as the team that will play for the full season.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Which would be easier if the team was at full strength at the back. The problem is that people are equating the team that played today as the team that will play for the full season.

I'm not equating this as the team that will play for the full season. I'm saying that in the moment today, Arsenal should still close out the game, putting it on the players that were not fit is a massive cop out.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I'm not equating this as the team that will play for the full season. I'm saying that in the moment today, Arsenal should still close out the game, putting it on the players that were not fit is a massive cop out.

I'm not saying you are. I'm referring to the people that all of a sudden talk shit when Arsenal have a bad result and then complain and act like victims when the thread subject is steered towards the discussion of the Arsenal squad.

Arsenal should close the game today but the players playing in defence today aren't capable of doing it. Hence when the injured players, which are better, come into the side then they have a better chance at closing the game.

Reactions: robertmac43

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't think Emery even knows what his first team is. He's constantly changing the team to supplement the tactics for individual teams, which is why he's his own worst enemy. Watford - though better than a relegation side - was in a relegation spot showing they haven't had a good run on the season thus far and just got a new manager who had a week to incorporate his tactics. Maybe they got a bit of the boost due to the new manager, but you honestly think Klopp spends the same amount of hours as Emery does when creating tactics for Watford-type of teams?

I argue he doesn't because he trusts his lads to get the job done. Sure he might say watch out for Doucoure's strength, Sarr's speed, or Deulofeu's creativity. He might actually change a few personnel to match Watford's strengths, but he won't go out of his way to make a hole in his squad to match up on Watford's players because he has trust in them to get the job done. If Wenger is too trusting of his players, Emery is looking to be on the most opposite of that spectrum, where he doesn't trust the first team enough and why he's constantly tinkering with it.
Nah unfortunately not. I get what you are saying, I just think its being taken too far. The guys passing is not the issue that makes Arsenal drop points, it's his terrible timing with bad challenges and mental lapses.
I agree with what you said, but my main argument is that I don't think there is one truly good skill he exhibits even consistently good on the pitch. He has bright moments that you love as a fan, but as I mentioned they're way too far in between all the bad to say he deserves a spot on a top 7-9 side in the EPL. He's an Everton or West Ham type of player, not ours.

TBH if that’s true it’s actually worse than just being possessed by a bit for the entire game.
Arsenal normally have high possession stats regardless if they look terrible or good. Wenger was a direct possession based coach and Emery is a build from the back possession based coach. Both have had terrible results while having possession in their coaching careers, which is why I don't get LITN's main argument towards Phisherman's post.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I don't think Emery even knows what his first team is. He's constantly changing the team to supplement the tactics for individual teams, which is why he's his own worst enemy. Watford - though better than a relegation side - was in a relegation spot showing they haven't had a good run on the season thus far and just got a new manager who had a week to incorporate his tactics. Maybe they got a bit of the boost due to the new manager, but you honestly think Klopp spends the same amount of hours as Emery does when creating tactics for Watford-type of teams?

It's midfield onwards that will keep getting rotated because of Emery's lack of vision/direction. The only thing he's stated was that they will stick to a back four, they're going to partner Holding and Luiz together and it's obvious that Bellerin and Tierney are first choice RB/LB. That will be the consistent back four once they're all healthy.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Last year at mid season Liverpool had a 7 points advantage and they still lost the title while only losing one game the rest of the year.

I rest my case. Manchester City are definitely the favourites.

The favorite just means who has the best chance of winning at the current time...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad