GWT: PL Matchweek 5

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Still can't believe Smalling scored that kind of a goal. :laugh: And Jose's a hugger now. :laugh

Young also involved in both goals, showing he's still one of the best crossers in the team.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Still can't believe Smalling scored that kind of a goal. :laugh: And Jose's a hugger now. :laugh

Young also involved in both goals, showing he's still one of the best crossers in the team.
Mou only celebrating because it was Smalling. Also I don’t think anyone is doubting Young’s crossing ability. It’s his defending that worries me.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Mou only celebrating because it was Smalling. Also I don’t think anyone is doubting Young’s crossing ability. It’s his defending that worries me.

Ever since he began playing at the FB, he's improved defensively constantly. He's rarely caught out of position these days because his speed is till top notch. I think you're putting too much weight on the season opener because he really looked like he just came off the vacation in that one (which he sort of did). Now that he's been training with the team, he looks more comfortable.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It was a really good idea from Mou to play Pogba on the right and Alexis on the left so they aren’t taking each other’s space away.

Yup. I guess that was what Alexis and Pogba were talking about in that one game. Though Pogba just played on the left before putting good cross to Lukaku.

Bugger.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Starting to wonder if the expectations are too high for Liverpool in the sense that the game today didn't feel like a great performance, but they did win rather easily against a good side. Defending was excellent, Kane never had anything resembling a chance. VVD was excellent again.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Starting to wonder if the expectations are too high for Liverpool in the sense that the game today didn't feel like a great performance, but they did win rather easily against a good side. Defending was excellent, Kane never had anything resembling a chance. VVD was excellent again.
I mean, with their attack, if they don’t throttle teams, they’re going to get some complaints.

They’re winning, but it isn’t as pretty as they’d like and the attack looks like it needs to work a bit more.

Personally, I rather bag points ugly than lose playing well, especially if they peak later in the season. It also would make sense if one eye was towards PSG.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
And there Matic ruins his great game with a second yellow.
Ruins? Yeah it’s going to suck without him next week but either Fred or Herrera can step in against Wolves. They’ll be fine. Also just because he got a second yellow doesn’t take away from the fact that he had a great game.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
United were a bit sloppy in the final third (both of the pitch and of the game) or they could have buried the game earlier, left it way too close at the end.

Matic is a bit unfortunate to be sent off. Can't really complain about either being a yellow, but it's still rough to get sent off for a couple of half challenges.

De Gea proving why he's so good, saved two shots that most keepers would have let in.

McTominay didn't have a great showing in terms of ball control. Seemed to read the play well and move into good places, but had a few poor passes that gave away possession.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
United were a bit sloppy in the final third (both of the pitch and of the game) or they could have buried the game earlier, left it way too close at the end.

Matic is a bit unfortunate to be sent off. Can't really complain about either being a yellow, but it's still rough to get sent off for a couple of half challenges.

De Gea proving why he's so good, saved two shots that most keepers would have let in.

McTominay didn't have a great showing in terms of ball control. Seemed to read the play well and move into good places, but had a few poor passes that gave away possession.
McTominay was on for 10 minutes hard to judge off that. They were at least creating chances. Foster saved like 3-4 shots off Pogba alone that should have gone in.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Couldn't watch Chelsea because of a softball tournament, but caught most of Liverpool-Spurs (up til the 70th). Liverpool did a great job keeping Kane out of the game, which I think is what proved the difference.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Couldn't watch Chelsea because of a softball tournament, but caught most of Liverpool-Spurs (up til the 70th). Liverpool did a great job keeping Kane out of the game, which I think is what proved the difference.
I think to some extent it might be Kane being tired and not completely meshing with Lucas. Lucas is a different option and I think Kane has come much deeper than I have seen against Liverpool in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad